Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Appropriate level for Cragholdt Bluff / White March ?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Mangamina

Mangamina

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

I went into Stalwart briefly (ONCE I fingered out I could go there before Cragholdt) and misplayed the fire business so I reloaded a save and went on to finish the Cragholdt castle. My brief visit to Stalwart yielded that it was fairly easy to beat the ogres at level 10 but I took note on what to do with saving those people in the fire for when I went in for real.  I will say at level 11 the battle with Concelhaut at the castle wasn't easy but I beat him on the first try, then I got the Siege Of Cragholdt achievement, quite rewarding on the Hard level (and the loot WOW)!  But as far as the level imbalance at Stalwart, might be a good "vacation" to plow through some enemies for a change  :biggrin: .  

UPDATE:   It's been a plow, but you run into a big rock once and a while.  I'm trying to decide whether I want to go on to the Adra now (the whole team has reached level 12 now).

Edited by Mangamina, 06 April 2018 - 03:40 AM.

Ignatius

Ignatius

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm amazed people didn't get the message from available dialogue that Craigholdt is wicked hard. It is approaching immersion breaking as is. The chair was throwing up neon signs about how dangerous the place was.

Edited by Ignatius, 12 April 2018 - 09:18 AM.

• The Sharmat likes this

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts

Yeah, she basically explicitly says "level up more first".

Mangamina

Mangamina

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

Yeah, she basically explicitly says "level up more first".

I got the message but I didn't take heed at level 10 and I'm all the better for it (got the achievement, tons of loot, new spells, and experience to prove it).  Immersion breaking? Nah, nobody is ever in a perfectly balanced area, where you're supposed to be w.r.t. your level and the "area level."  If the game allows it, I'm gonna do it and I'm gonna try it, if that's immersion breaking then go play your perfect game (I don't think it exists).  

Also, just defeated The Master Below (Adra dragon); it turns into an easy battle when you use the stand-off approach, only used the paralyze scroll once at the coup-de-grace stage.  The whole party was Level 13 on Hard difficulty.  I think that was the recommended level (13) for taking on this beast so it was a politically correct battle :wowey: .

Edited by Mangamina, 15 April 2018 - 02:56 PM.

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts

Well you're clearly better at the game than most players. Good on you, but you're not someone that complained about the alleged lack of warning I'm going to guess.

Mangamina

Mangamina

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

No please I am not looking to show any game prowess over anybody else, everyone takes their own path through the game, that's the beauty of it.  My ineptness at how to travel around the map made me think I had to do Cragholdt first, it wasn't what the steward said, I heard her say I should level up more.  White March map was available to travel to the whole time (after WM showed up on the map); on the PS4 version I didn't see the option below the map for WM.  Instead I saw on the map Cragholdt and then White March further east, and I couldn't arrow over to White March, but I could to Cragholdt from Cad Nua. So that's why I thought I had to go there first.  It took me a while to complete the whole Cragholdt map, I'm not saying it was easy; it also took a lot of time at level 10.  It helped me learn a LOT about the mechanics of the game and it's battle system.  So this expertise helped me out tremendously in defeating the Adra dragon too and getting through all of WM1 (except I haven't fought the Alpine dragon yet).  

I'm a relative newcomer to this game but not to this style of game, I have played all of the Bioware series, Divinity OS.   I am lucky enough to have you wonderful people who funded and played the game 3 years ago to read up on bugs and info (I didn't read spoilers until after I had done something).  Thank you for the Kickstarter and getting this game made!  

Update:  Just killed the Alpine Dragon, it took 3 tries at level 14 on Hard difficulty.  Treacherous battle, had to keep moving around to get away from ole' Frostbreath.  No real cheesing going on, just a lot of moving around and buffs and debuffs.  If there was any cheesing, it was the Twin Stones scroll, but only twice.  Now on to finish Durgan's Battery and thus all of the White March 1.

Edited by Mangamina, 24 April 2018 - 10:44 AM.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 309 posts

Lvl 11 on POtD difficulty. Tough fights but doable with proper party (Rogue/Druid MC, Pallegina, Kana, Aloth, Durance, G-Mother). Only one fight makes me insane - with 5 DeadthGuards + several zombies near the enter of Counceloth stronghold. I've replayed this encounter 3 or 4 times, becose all of my chars were knocked out for 10-15 sec. and were ripped into shreds.

Edited by Phenomenum, 25 April 2018 - 04:33 AM.

• Mangamina likes this

Mangamina

Mangamina

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

Is Counceloth you mention the stronghold at Cragholdt Bluff?  Everybody seems to have their "Waterloo" in this game, with the dragons for me it may have been a mental block however, after defeating the Capt. Baelorin, getting from that battle location to the castle entrance DID present some complications yes!

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 309 posts

Is Counceloth you mention the stronghold at Cragholdt Bluff?  Everybody seems to have their "Waterloo" in this game, with the dragons for me it may have been a mental block however, after defeating the Capt. Baelorin, getting from that battle location to the castle entrance DID present some complications yes!

Sorry, it was my grammar mistake. I mean 5 Ancient Death Guards + 2 or 3 Alguls AFTER defeating Captain Baelorin - just before the enter of Concelhault dungeon/stronghold. For me, it was toughest fight in game, including bouties. May be, becose underlevel (11), or becose my wry hands :grin:

Edited by Phenomenum, 25 April 2018 - 05:16 AM.

• Mangamina likes this

Mangamina

Mangamina

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

Yes that was what I thought you meant, not too many people mention this little march to the castle but yes, I was level 11 too and it wasn't easy.  So?  You were level 11 (PoTD, I was on Hard) when conquering this area?  That's awesome, you are a Phenomenum!  :yes:

Edited by Mangamina, 25 April 2018 - 04:28 PM.

• Phenomenum likes this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 309 posts

Yes that was what I thought you meant, not too many people mention this little march to the castle but yes, I was level 11 too and it wasn't easy.  So?  You were level 11 (PoTD, I was on Hard) when conquering this area?  That's awesome, you are a Phenomenum!  :yes:

Yes, lvl 11 and got 12th level right after defeating Concelhault (on second try).

• Mangamina likes this

Mangamina

Mangamina

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

Yes, lvl 11 and got 12th level right after defeating Concelhault (on second try).

I defeated Baelorin at level 10 (Hard difficulty), left Cragholdt and did some Act II quests, then went back to Cragholdt at level 11.  I got to the 12th level after defeating Concelhaut like you did (on 1st try).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users