Appropriate level for Cragholdt Bluff / White March ?

Hi guys, at what character level should i head to Cragholldt Bluff and White March? I don't want to stumble in there too early and get my butt handed to me.

If someone can let me know an appropriate level range suitable to handle the challenges of these area, it'll be great.

Thanks.

You can also upscale White March if you're of higher level, which is what I did. However, there's no indication as to what level it's tuned to afterward. My party was level 9 when I started the upscaled version, and it's been fairly challenging and required me to change my strategies a bit.

White March is from 6. At Cragholldt Bluff I got ganked at 10 so this is probably a high lvl area.

Ganked at 10?  Jeez.  I thought 6 was bad.   :)

All I have to say is: Someday, "Drunk Orlan", someday I'll be back.  In the Immortal words of Ahnuld.

I was having a *REALLY* hard time in Cragholdt Bluff at level 11. I got through into the place, but it was a real, absolute bastard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I typically Start exploring White March content around lvl 7-8, although I wouldn't expect to finish everything at that level. Some areas get tougher. Cragholdt is one of the absolute last things to do imo. Typically I would wrap up a play through with a couple Dragon hunts and Cragholt.

• Like 1

I wonder how hard it would be to add some "This area is level 7+" here and there?

That would probably be not so hardcore, and someone will definetly complain "Where is my feeling of freedom of exploration?!"

Im talking just about verbal warning, not hardblock area. You can still try it is your hand.

Over and over game people run into this fun areas like Craghold, Fire falls or skaen temple. So putting some warning could help some while not talking much anything from others.

I agree with the evilcat that Craghold needs some kind of warning sign and I don't just mean the one-time *buzz off* dialogue you get.

At present the quest the quest basically says stop this lot or they will trash your stronghold ;(

I'm nibbling away at the mercenaries on my way to and from the White March. With (a lot of) care it's a reasonable source of semi-decent trade fodder.

Tbh I think they have quite a few warning signs. The chair told me the wizard was straight up more powerful than I was and that maybe in time I may become AS powerful. Also when u finally get into the keep, u have the one person tell you they ain't worried because those tough ass mercenaries are being held back by him without him even leaving his room.

Granted there's no game warning "hey this ****s high level", but by people's dialogue, the game gave plenty of warnings imho.

Granted I do know that the dialogue may have been wasted on most seeing how most games tell us someone's badass and has a fearsome reputation and history of awesome feats but let's us steamroll the guys..... Pillars actually means what they say when someone's powerful, they pretty powerful lol.

• Like 1

I wonder how hard it would be to add some "This area is level 7+" here and there?

That would probably be not so hardcore, and someone will definetly complain "Where is my feeling of freedom of exploration?!"

Im talking just about verbal warning, not hardblock area. You can still try it is your hand.

Over and over game people run into this fun areas like Craghold, Fire falls or skaen temple. So putting some warning could help some while not talking much anything from others.

Doesn't need to be such an immersion-breaking message.

Could be something like:

You meet a peasant on the road towards Craghold.  He tells you that the monsters ahead are vicious, cruel creatures that have been known to slaughter entire legions of knights.  He advises you to turn back, lest you share their fate.  "Only a living god would stand a chance against those cruel bastards!"  he whimpers.

I checked this today, the dialogue that originates the quest contains a strong warning but the journal entry is an urgent call to action - mixed messages.

I think it would be reasonable for the mercenaries for the mercenaries to give several warnings unless the party is high level and that the warnings which should be very matter of fact (no bragging or boasting):

*Go away, we are busy and don't have time to deal with unimportant matters*

A few corpses about the place might help too.

It might be simpler though for the quest not be given until the party reaches a suitable level or acquires a strong reputation in Stalwart.

• Like 1

Doesn't need to be such an immersion-breaking message.

Could be something like:

You meet a peasant on the road towards Craghold.  He tells you that the monsters ahead are vicious, cruel creatures that have been known to slaughter entire legions of knights.  He advises you to turn back, lest you share their fate.  "Only a living god would stand a chance against those cruel bastards!"  he whimpers.

Player would probably ingore it, since everything we do is epic and legenedar and we are almost gods in fantasy world.

And i must say that current system wored for me. I run into Craghold at level 6, was royaly stomped by two mercenaries. Got the idea that i will come back at level 11.

So current setup isnt such a problem.

Other option would be to postpone Craghold invitacion. Will it hurt if get a messee 2 level after?

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

If I remember correctly, the Steward explicitly mentions that Cragholdt is probably beyond your expertise if your character is a low level (10 or lower I think?). So there already is a non-immersion-breaking message in-game.

Isn't Cragholdt delivered by a messenger?  Why would you ask the Steward about it?  I don't remember this, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Just went to Cragholdt before looking up the ideal level for it. My part lvl 9 & lvl 8 party just got completely massacred. I knew it was supposed to be harder, I just didnt realise quite how much. So off to White March instead I think :)

• Like 1

Just went to Cragholdt before looking up the ideal level for it. My part lvl 9 & lvl 8 party just got completely massacred. I knew it was supposed to be harder, I just didnt realise quite how much. So off to White March instead I think :)

:lol:

Well - you can beat some of those marksmen on lvl 8 or 9 to get some nice exceptional arquebuses and then leave.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well - you can beat some of those marksmen on lvl 8 or 9 to get some nice exceptional arquebuses and then leave.

My v2 party usually stop by at Cragholdt on their way to/from the North March and try to pick off a straggler or two for the loot, it doesn't always work ;(