White March - Why Start Midgame ?

when i heard that there will be an expansion (i was already in the pit, meanwhile i reloaded to get a way out ;-) and stopped the game,

Now i play further to have the experience from both together... i think as the game or some bosses are very hard to me i will still be there fighting to get the game done, but anyway for BG2+addon i played almost 2 years, IWD1 and 2 i remember i played them each around 1 year or so...

every time i play PoE i like it very much and i get somethin back from the game!

And i dont get the point whats makes a game "better" if you are done with it quickly ;-)

PS: i startet my second BG playtrough when i heard there will be an "dragonspear" addon coming :-) but i think by the lack of time i have THIS project will take me more then 2 years to finish it ;)

Edited by synfrei

Haha, one review compared it to a book. We had the whole book, then suddenly the author came up with a chapter 5A to go inbetween chapters 5 & 6. If you look at it that way... it's a little strange. And people who are playing the whole thing for the first time will have the most natural experience. 

That being said, I wanted to try a new class, so I was happy to start a new game. Caed Nua isn't that far into the game. Just replay up till there and then you can jump into the expansion. 

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to White March at lv7 unless you like steam rolling content...

I just reached Dyrwood at lv8 and when expansion was released I entered the White March all excited. Sure, WM zones were fun and challenging, with good items and good pacing. Devil of Caroc is an awesome companion with great voice acting. HOWEVER, by the time I was done with TWM I was around lv11, and when I went back to Dyrwood on the vanilla campaign everything became so faceroll. Before you ask, this is on PotD difficulty.

As someone who plays for challenging encounters, I just lost all interest and will to continue playing. Now I'm contemplating if I want to restart and leave TWM content for lv12 where I can scale everything up after I am done with vanilla campaign. But my dilemma is that I also badly want Devil of Caroc in my party as soon as possible, and there is no way of doing that without "locking" TWM zones to lv7 the moment I enter it :(

If anyone has any solution to this, please kindly advise.

My dual-weild barb basically solo'd upscaled TWM so you're idea to wait isn't a good one. 

What I did in my fresh POTD run was rush white march (at lvl 5 which resulted in some challenging encounters), snatch/grabbed the soulbound weaps and the amazing armor. The I proceeded to act 3 so I could fill out my gear. 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy

I'm gonna personally wait until the whole White March is out, myself, and then start a completely fresh playthrough.

Yep, me too. Although I've never played the game even though I was a Backer because of the bugs when it came out.

Edited by AstroCat

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

Guys... An expansion is called that because it expands on existing content. If it continued it from where it left, it would be called a sequel.

And that is not to mention how devs were always upfront about TWM being like TotSC.

A Sequel is a brand new game.

An Expansion is something that just expands the core game, no matter if its plot starts mid-game or after the main game.

Having to load an earlier save is a bad design decision for games with an ending. Hopefully the following expansions will be post-end, not only because it is less annoying but because otherwise the rest of the game will become way too easy if you finished all the expansion content.

Is no one going to mention that....

none of your companions hang around after you beat the game? They all go their separate ways to do other stuff. So if you went to the White March post-game, it would just be you, Devil of Caroc, Zahua, and whatever chucklef***s you hired at the inn.

In this case the Devs would add few more Companions.

Only 8.6% of all Steam PoE users have completed the game?

Seems like that's pretty much a more than justifiable reason.

As someone who likes checking Global Achievement stats for games, I have already seen how surprisingly low percentages for "Finished the Game" achievements are.

How long till Part 2 is out? I don't want to start over or load an old save. I want one "complete and stable" play through... Thanks.

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

I had only taken one team to the start of Chap 3 (none any farther) so this start is perfect for them and works for all the other teams I have scattered about in Chapter 2 as well as the brand new team I started last night.

I have no issues with it - reminds me a lot of ToTSC.

My problem was that although I was only on Chapter 3 I was already level 12. And before I've seen all the White March content I was already lvl 14.

That's what ruins the experience. I found great loot for lower level parties. It seems the game wants you to play no side quests and then rush to the expansion content.

More than often I find myself enjoying more the side quests than the main story line.

I wonder what the average completion rate is for games.

Low, based on Steam stats anyway.

Of course "boot the game" is like 60% on avarage for games, so... it might just be really disproporiate numbers all by itself.

Any VET know if BG also got this ****storm in 1999?

And personally I think ToB just absolutely sucks, TotSC was much much better.

Atleast it's not like The Witcher II that added DLC to act I while there are 3 acts and you can't get back once you finish one. Must have been hell for our current forum members...

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I wonder what the average completion rate is for games.

Low, based on Steam stats anyway.

Of course "boot the game" is like 60% on avarage for games, so... it might just be really disproporiate numbers all by itself.

Atleast it's not like The Witcher II that added DLC to act I while there are 3 acts and you can't get back once you finish one. Must have been hell for our current forum members...

Not that I would remember. TotSC was pretty well received especially since it focused more on the strength(s) of Baldur's Gate. It became somewhat of a template for Baldur's Gate 2 in terms of more and more meaningful dungeoneering and much less traversing empty wilderness areas. That was 16 years ago though and players generally weren't the prissy little entitlement bitches they are these days.

I wonder how much whining and grating BG2 would get if it would be released today. Damn. All those bugs that were never fixed by Bioware and the utterly horrible balancing and not a single balance pass in sight. ;)

• Like 6

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well, it'seems official, Josh mentions in this

that they placed the expansion in the middle because of the low number of people who complete the RPGs.

And they said from the very start that the expansion would be like Tales of The Sword Coast, so it was always assumed by most of us that it would be a mid-campaign expansion.

The first year or so was both a huge ****storm and fan frenzy, from old school DnD'ers who hated the realtime to the many many many bugs and unbalanced feats and classes - and people just loving it despite the flaws.. But seeing as internet access wasn't quite as prevalent and going to forums weren't quite as common, the bad press basically came from the press. Who generally loved Bioware for the attempt and revival of the RPG genre.

And back then you had to wait for a patch to come with your favorite magazine on a disc too. :)

I have no doubt that in a year or so, with bugs ironed out and the expansions - people are gonna forget most of the flaws of PoE (like every other game you replay years after release). And praise it as a universally great game that was always flawless and well crafted, with love for the genre, unlike greedy modern games full of bugs and unbalanced mechanics!

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Well, it'seems official, Josh mentions in this

that they placed the expansion in the middle because of the low number of people who complete the RPGs.

And they said from the very start that the expansion would be like Tales of The Sword Coast, so it was always assumed by most of us that it would be a mid-campaign expansion.

The first year or so was both a huge ****storm and fan frenzy, from old school DnD'ers who hated the realtime to the many many many bugs and unbalanced feats and classes - and people just loving it despite the flaws.. But seeing as internet access wasn't quite as prevalent and going to forums weren't quite as common, the bad press basically came from the press. Who generally loved Bioware for the attempt and revival of the RPG genre.

And back then you had to wait for a patch to come with your favorite magazine on a disc too. :)

I have no doubt that in a year or so, with bugs ironed out and the expansions - people are gonna forget most of the flaws of PoE (like every other game you replay years after release). And praise it as a universally great game that was always flawless and well crafted, with love for the genre, unlike greedy modern games full of bugs and unbalanced mechanics!

I vote we avoid the delay and just start this process now! :)

• Like 3

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I doubt it, Obsidian's reputation for buggy games has yet to abate. Now if it was a game made by Bioware or Bethesda...

I doubt it, Obsidian's reputation for buggy games has yet to abate. Now if it was a game made by Bioware or Bethesda...

Bethesda makes the world most bugged out popular games. Of course often hilariously buggy, but still.. come on!

That said, sure Obz has definitely made buggy games. I would however always choose a buggy yet enjoyable experience over some of the games that come out of Bioware now that EA has sucked their souls dry. 

Fortune favors the bald.