White March - Why Start Midgame ?

I'm very dissapointed to read White March starts mid game...makes no sense to me. Most of you finished to game already...

Now I'm faced with stupid decisions, wait for all DLC to appear (it's DLC not addon) and have the full fun or start a game and wait for it to finish in pieces...

Well I decided to wait. Full content, cheaper, less bugs.

What's your oppinion about it ?

I have the same feeling for most games released today...

• Like 1

I've actually started the expansion mid-game (soon after I got to Act III), and have really been enjoying it so far. My party is level 9.

Once you get to the first area, you're prompted whether you want to upscale the encounters to be more challenging, and I selected "yes" since otherwise the expansion assumes you're level 5-7. Other than the first fight when you first get to Stalwart, which was easy, the rest has been quite enjoyable, and I really don't regret starting it at all. However, I have learned that I need to respec some of my party members because some of them (notably my Eder-tank) have become less effective since 2.0.

Some of the fights so far have been brutal. Notably, the new four-armed lizard warrior things the expansion adds.

Edited by Kogorn733
  • Like 1

I'm very dissapointed to read White March starts mid game...makes no sense to me. Most of you finished to game already...

Most of the game is inaccessible at the start. This is no different. Deal with it. tongue.png

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The answer to "why start midgame?" actually isn't very complicated.  Every NPC in the game is written from the point of view that the "main issue" of the game hasn't been resolved yet.  If you could "win" the game and then return to areas you had previously visited, all the NPCs would speak as if you were still doing the main questline, which would lead players to naturally complain that their "win" wasn't being recognized and appreciated by those NPCs.  This is the same reason why Baldur's Gate didn't let you continue after dealing with Sarevok, so it isn't as if Obsidian is inventing this way of handling the endgame. 

It would be neat if you could return to the gameworld and see responsive NPCs comment on your endgame choices, but that would be a very time-consuming task for the devs because (being careful to avoid spoilers) different NPCs might have very different reactions to the manner in which you chose to "win".  Maybe we'll see that in Pillars 2...

Edited by jsaving
  • Like 6

Once you get to the first area, you're prompted whether you want to upscale the encounters to be more challenging

Really? Interesting... I saw somebody mention something about that, but was a bit puzzled; I started from my pre-pit endgame save (only got the one playthrough!)  at level 12 and wasn't given that option, which says it's clever enough to detect my party was max level and automatically scale accordingly.

I don't get it. Why do you have to start mid-game?

[...] wait for all DLC to appear (it's DLC not addon) [...]

An add-on adds something to a game and a DLC (downloadable content) adds something to a game. What's the difference?

There's no acronym for add-on - :p

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I had only taken one team to the start of Chap 3 (none any farther) so this start is perfect for them and works for all the other teams I have scattered about in Chapter 2 as well as the brand new team I started last night.

I have no issues with it - reminds me a lot of ToTSC.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Once you get to the first area, you're prompted whether you want to upscale the encounters to be more challenging

Really? Interesting... I saw somebody mention something about that, but was a bit puzzled; I started from my pre-pit endgame save (only got the one playthrough!)  at level 12 and wasn't given that option, which says it's clever enough to detect my party was max level and automatically scale accordingly.

This only applies to the white march. You're probably talking about the fort in the dyrwood, which is meant for lvl 12+ regardless of scaling.

This only applies to the white march. You're probably talking about the fort in the dyrwood, which is meant for lvl 12+ regardless of scaling.

Aaaaaah!

Right, yes, got it!

Aaaaaah!

Right, yes, got it!

Yeah, as soon as you attempt to travel to the White March (or after the little intro text "cinematic" plays, I forget which...) you should get the option in a popup menu

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to White March at lv7 unless you like steam rolling content...

I just reached Dyrwood at lv8 and when expansion was released I entered the White March all excited. Sure, WM zones were fun and challenging, with good items and good pacing. Devil of Caroc is an awesome companion with great voice acting. HOWEVER, by the time I was done with TWM I was around lv11, and when I went back to Dyrwood on the vanilla campaign everything became so faceroll. Before you ask, this is on PotD difficulty.

As someone who plays for challenging encounters, I just lost all interest and will to continue playing. Now I'm contemplating if I want to restart and leave TWM content for lv12 where I can scale everything up after I am done with vanilla campaign. But my dilemma is that I also badly want Devil of Caroc in my party as soon as possible, and there is no way of doing that without "locking" TWM zones to lv7 the moment I enter it :(

If anyone has any solution to this, please kindly advise.

• Like 2

No offense, but this expansion would have been received ten times better if it had just continued seamlessly from where a lot of us left off (at the end of the game).

I have several friends who won't buy it because they don't want to deal with loading from some weird save that isn't their last one in the final area.

It also feels less cool that the end is already known when you start WM.

I'm happy that the PoE universe is expanding though...

• Like 1

Guys... An expansion is called that because it expands on existing content. If it continued it from where it left, it would be called a sequel.

And that is not to mention how devs were always upfront about TWM being like TotSC.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to White March at lv7 unless you like steam rolling content...

I just reached Dyrwood at lv8 and when expansion was released I entered the White March all excited. Sure, WM zones were fun and challenging, with good items and good pacing. Devil of Caroc is an awesome companion with great voice acting. HOWEVER, by the time I was done with TWM I was around lv11, and when I went back to Dyrwood on the vanilla campaign everything became so faceroll. Before you ask, this is on PotD difficulty.

As someone who plays for challenging encounters, I just lost all interest and will to continue playing. Now I'm contemplating if I want to restart and leave TWM content for lv12 where I can scale everything up after I am done with vanilla campaign. But my dilemma is that I also badly want Devil of Caroc in my party as soon as possible, and there is no way of doing that without "locking" TWM zones to lv7 the moment I enter it :(

If anyone has any solution to this, please kindly advise.

Use the IEmod or similar solution to up the experience table about 50%. That seems to balance the content of the general game better, at least, and should make TWM experience have less of an impact.

Guys... An expansion is called that because it expands on existing content. If it continued it from where it left, it would be called a sequel.

And that is not to mention how devs were always upfront about TWM being like TotSC.

I'd venture to say that most expansions simply add to the main game in some way, with some exceptions here and there, like Throne of Bhaal (which originally started as a planned sequel) and I'm surprised that this is an issue for players - outside of simply not having a savegame before from delving into the final dungeon.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Is no one going to mention that....

none of your companions hang around after you beat the game? They all go their separate ways to do other stuff. So if you went to the White March post-game, it would just be you, Devil of Caroc, Zahua, and whatever chucklef***s you hired at the inn.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

I went to the expansion as early as possible to get the companions and now that I'm back, it's nice to have them around to hear their banter and have them in the party, but I'm absolutely steamrolling all the content from the main game.   I think I went there at about level 5 near the start of Chapter 2 and came back at about level 9 or 10.   Doing the White March at those levels was fun though and well balanced.  Next time though I'll probably wait and do it near the end with it scaled up, just so I don't make the main game too easy and I'll have already experienced doing the main game the new companions.

Only 8.6% of all Steam PoE users have completed the game?

Seems like that's pretty much a more than justifiable reason.

That's not counting the (i assume many) players who finished the game but used the console for one reason or another. You dont get the achievement if you do that.

Only 8.6% of all Steam PoE users have completed the game?

Seems like that's pretty much a more than justifiable reason.

That's not counting the (i assume many) players who finished the game but used the console for one reason or another. You dont get the achievement if you do that.

But what exactly would be your definition of..."many" -- specifically where in the linear line between 8.6% and 100%?

I'm guaranteeing it's nowhere even close as..."most" players as the OP stated, right?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle