I understood White March is available to access after Act 2 has started by receiving a message at your stronghold. I am in Act 2 with a 5th level character, but am not receiving any message.

If a load an old save near the end of the original Pillars of Eternity game I receive a message immediately.

Are there any other criteria to be met before you can access White March?

You have to have secured Caed Nua and there may also be a level requirement. My level 8 party got the message immediately.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I was going to start a new one and I'm not sure it's necessary, do we know whether White March 2 will be accessed the same way?

I have to say, I've found it a little convoluted, having to activate an old save pre-solving Legacy to do White March as "side" content, instead of "after" content. I was expecting a Throne of Bhaal style following-on.

Is WMPT2 going to follow the same model, so even when both expansions hit, curing the Legacy will always be the last thing you do? Seems a clumsy way of doing things.

I'd feel inclined to complete the expansion content (I've started a new save to do it this time as I completed the core game in release week) and then just hold back the save for "later" if so. Bit odd.

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I've skimmed a few press releases and previews and not found clarity.

As a continuation of this thread:

Isn't it possible to access the expansion after killing Thaos?

Do I really have to go "back" in time and load before relasing the souls after killing Thaos?

After I killed Thaos and using the machine.... with the expansion pack installed it just went to the main menu.

Can anyone help me with this question please :)

Edited by Combine

Do I really have to go "back" in time and load before relasing the souls after killing Thaos?

After I killed Thaos and released the souls with the expansion pack installed it just went to the main menu.

Nope. I tried that as well. The only option is to load your save from before jumping into the pit and go back from there. The game is kind enough to make a special save there for you. Once you're done with the expansion, you'll have to go back to the burial isle and jump in. I guess Obs will have to buff Thaos, but that's a different matter.

Nothing gold can stay.

After I killed Thaos and released the souls with the expansion pack installed it just went to the main menu.

Nope. I tried that as well. The only option is to load your save from before jumping into the pit and go back from there. The game is kind enough to make a special save there for you. Once you're done with the expansion, you'll have to go back to the burial isle and jump in. I guess Obs will have to buff Thaos, but that's a different matter.

Thank you for the quick reply, most appreciated :)

Well, Im not really sure of how I feel about that, feels abit strange/illogical in regards to what I experienced narratively with my characters.

I do see potential game design problems with having the world being affected by such action and therefore making it quite hard to enter the expansion either not killing Thaos or killing him, would require alot of extra content.

I was in the exact same situation as you.

Going to the Woedica temple (copper lane) and attending the leaden key reunion there triggered it. I got a message saying that there was a letter for me at Caed Nua right after it.

Thanks, I'll give this a whirl, I've just levelled up to 5th lvl in the Catacombs.

Honestly, what a complete pain in the "derriere"!! There is a save game just before activating the machine, why not just let me out of the damn hole to play the expansion before returning to switch on the damn machine then? It feels so counter-productive to battle through the final big epic fight (which was a tough one), only to have to load an earlier game and do it all again,....

So what about the next expansion? Is there any point in finishing the game?

I bought the season pass last night thinking I'd crank up the game tonight, only then to discover that I have to load an earlier game,.... after having to scour the internet to find this out.

It sounds so stupid and petulant, but I could not be bothered in going back over old ground to play the expansion. I'm not going to bother playing out of spite now.

Honestly, what a complete pain in the "derriere"!! There is a save game just before activating the machine, why not just let me out of the damn hole to play the expansion before returning to switch on the damn machine then? It feels so counter-productive to battle through the final big epic fight (which was a tough one), only to have to load an earlier game and do it all again,....

I bought the season pass last night thinking I'd crank up the game tonight, only then to discover that I have to load an earlier game,.... after having to scour the internet to find this out.

It sounds so stupid and petulant, but I could not be bothered in going back over old ground to play the expansion. I'm not going to bother playing out of spite now.

Yeah I get what you are saying, seems counter productive.

Im playing at the hardest dificulty you can choose from and it took me quite a while to finish off thaos :)

But im still going to load and play the expansion, it looks awesome and need to get my pillar cravings furfilled :p

Edited by Combine

Yeah I get what you are saying, seems counter productive.

Im playing at the hardest dificulty you can choose from and it took me quite a while to finish off thaos :)

But im still going to load and play the expansion, it looks awesome and need to get my pillar cravings furfilled :p

Its really just killed the game for me now,.... don't get me wrong, I re-played Baldurs gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil etc,... but only long after initially finishing them. I really wish I could just get my money back, but not possible sadly.

Going to the Woedica temple (copper lane) and attending the leaden key reunion there triggered it. I got a message saying that there was a letter for me at Caed Nua right after it.

Thanks, I'll give this a whirl, I've just levelled up to 5th lvl in the Catacombs.

Just to confirm this works.

In summary it appears that following conditions are required to activate White March Part 1;

# Have become Warden of Caed Nua

# Have started Act 2 by travelling to Defiance Bay

# Have attended Leaden Key meeting in Temple of Woedica in Defiance Bay

As a footnote be well prepared when you first travel to White March!

Obsidian should do a bypass, and (spoiler alert) after activating the "you know what", the group should have the chance of travel to the White March.

Obsidian devs, you should fix that.

That would be real nice. I accidentally overwrote my save games while in Sun in Shadow, so it looks like my old party won't be seeing the expansion. Kind of a shame. Would be fantastic if there were some kind of fix for this.

You should be able to access the white march content after killing Thanos, but before activating the machine. I continued my game and got the message that there is a new quest at my stronghold, but spent a half hour trying to figure out how to get out of "Sun in Shadows" only to find out in internet forums that there is not way out and you have to hope you kept an old save game file from before you jumped in the pit.  This has left a really, really bad taste in my mouth.

The end game states that I found the entrance that Thanos used, so this means I should be able to use it as an exit to continue the White March expansion.

I'm not happy about this. Obsidian needs to fix this now...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I knew there wasn't post game support. I don't understand why the game doesn't send you back to Caed Nua and make an end game save. I bought the DLC but I probably won't be playing it till I feel like starting Pillars over since I don't have that Pre-Endgame autosave.

I'm on a MAC and I've 

# become Warden of Caed Nua

# started Act 2 by travelling to Defiance Bay

# attended Leaden Key meeting in Temple of Woedica in Defiance Bay

# purchased the expansion and loaded it

It says its loaded, but I cannot reach the white march. Does not even show on the map and I've received the message... I think something is wrong with the MAC load of the expansion.

Please help.

... there we go again...

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'm on a MAC and I've 

# become Warden of Caed Nua

# started Act 2 by travelling to Defiance Bay

# attended Leaden Key meeting in Temple of Woedica in Defiance Bay

# purchased the expansion and loaded it

It says its loaded, but I cannot reach the white march. Does not even show on the map and I've received the message... I think something is wrong with the MAC load of the expansion.

Please help.

Did you return to the Keep and speak to the warden (the chairperson ;) )

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

• 2 weeks later...

Really?  That totally BLOWS!!!! I thought that buying the expansion would give me some more play time, no I have to go BACk a long ways and do it all again?  BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Like berberick, I'm on a Mac (osx 10.8.5) and I've:

- become Warden of Caed Nua

- started Act 2 by travelling to Defiance Bay

- attended Leaden Key meeting in Temple of Woedica in Defiance Bay

- purchased the expansion and loaded it (dlc_2.10.0.21 from gog.com)

The installation is done, but I have received no message so far. And the warden is saying nothing new. My version of PoE is 1.5 (I have also an issue with the update).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Just to confirm this works.

In summary it appears that following conditions are required to activate White March Part 1;

# Have become Warden of Caed Nua

# Have started Act 2 by travelling to Defiance Bay

# Have attended Leaden Key meeting in Temple of Woedica in Defiance Bay

As a footnote be well prepared when you first travel to White March!

Do you also need to do the fourth step to Never Far from the Queen?

Not long ago I updated the White March page on the wikia to say what you needed to do to start it. Previously it said you only needed to get Cad Nua. I have not actually started it myself, but I found a dev post saying you needed to do the Woedica temple, which I found out was that quest.

Edited by PugPug