Novella comming? Any word on progress?

I certainly do not want Chris sued over it, that would be a tad overly litigious. I wish the man well in is future endeavors. It would have been a bit classier to complete an obligation he had made during his employment, but recent events have lead me to the conclusion that I like my favorite game developers happy with their projects and their studios.

Quite a few talented developers have been moving to nostalgia based studios like Beamdog, Obsidian, and inXile. Warren Spector is making new System Shock and Ultima Underworld games while David Gaider and Chris Avelone gets to try their hands at a smaller dev cycle again. Sorry off topic but I do think its exciting.

• Like 1

We haven't been on topic for a while anyway, so what the hell? I liked Bioshock quite a bit, and that was supposed to be kind of a spiritual likening (can't say spiritual successor anymore since it's become a contentious word), but there's plenty of spirit left to create another game, whether they call it System Shock or not. I recently bought the Ultima pack, and it hasn't held up as well as the SSI Dungeons and Dragons games for me. I finished Eye of the Beholder and I started on 2, but I haven't had time to play for the past few days.

I guess, to throw a bone at the topic, the thing to keep in mind regarding these things, and I'll keep this in mind if I ever have enough money to back a project, that you aren't assured of anything. You should reasonably expect to get what's offered at the pledge level, but I think the structure of the tier system, as I understand it, is that you're taking a gamble when you throw in your money.

• Like 1

bother?

Thank you, Adam!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Oh so the delay was to record the audio? Well that's not very exciting, I was anticipating some juicy drama, clashes of Herculean wit and pistols at dawn on a cold misty morn. Really now i'm quite upset at such a mundane explanation, and the stifling of my fevered imaginations workings. Have you no feelings for those who weave together pathetic far reaching conspiracy theories on no evidence and utterly baseless conjecture?

Harumph, harumph and thrice harumph I say to thee Sirs.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Oh so the delay was to record the audio? Well that's not very exciting, I was anticipating some juicy drama, clashes of Herculean wit and pistols at dawn on a cold misty morn. Really now i'm quite upset at such a mundane explanation, and the stifling of my fevered imaginations workings. Have you no feelings for those who weave together pathetic far reaching conspiracy theories on no evidence and utterly baseless conjecture?

Yeah, it's like Mr. Brennecke came in and threw water on all our fun. Can we at least conjecture that Mr. Avellone gave the cover illustrator a cold in a last ditch vindictive act meant to delay the release?
  • Like 1

bother?

That would be a long delay just to record some audio. They recorded VA for both expansions since the novella was supposed to have come out.

Probably still something else going on, but I don't think we'll ever know.

Edited by Nosey and Opinionated

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cover art can actually take quite a while to execute properly, so it depends on when it was first sent to the artist.

Of course the novella doesn't exactly seem like a priority, but one would hope that, as a promised Kickstarter benefit, in the end it will in fact surface.  Perhaps in time for a PoE2 announcement...?

• 2 weeks later...

Obsidian have done a great work being in contact with the community during PoE development, but regarding to novella release, Obsidian is not behaving seriously.

Are you going to release novella some day?

Best guess is that the delay is due to it probably being garbage in its original, submitted state and in need of heavy-handed editing.

As good a video game writer MCA is, he's still a novice prose writer.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It's still not released? I think we should begin to unveil the conspiracy theories now: My money is on a Nepyunian Slaarh beast holding the script to ransom because of innappropriate resemblances to political situations in its own dimension. Either that or Mr Avellone has written something so dangerously seditious and ruthless as to make the Prince seem positively meek, and the publishers are afraid of what shockwaves its release may bring.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!