Cannot speak to the Steward to begin Durgan's batter

Snoovus

Question

"

I think I found something... Seems that the game data has been reset to "zero" on White March installation or the last update. This means that you dont own caed nua (but you do) so you can't talk with the Steward until you complete the mission (but you can't access that mission cause is already done and you are in another chapter).

I figured that cause I went to cyad nial (was that the name?) the first place were Thaos exectued the ritual (just when you start the game and get out of the cave), i was there looking for a bounty and know what: I found the carbonized figure in front of the machine, Thaos and 3 people more... YES! exactly the escene have seen on the game start! but you can't interact with them.

Also

There is another thing that corroborates my theory original.gif. Lot of areas still being unexplored... But I already explored them! on the beggining I thought that happens cause I started chapter 3 and "things have changed" in the world, but seeing all the bugs maybe a "reset" of variables/data could be the answer for all this problems."

I agree, Got extacly same issues, and I also thought that these things are related with the plot, but right now, while im tryin' to start white march, I totally agree that's the problem.

I'm not sure what's the cause and how to solve problem in general, but maybe, while so many people are waiting, you'll find out some solution to reach White March grounds without Stewart, or somethin'.

I had to face the same issue yesterday after buying The White March, the Steward wouldn't talk to me about the message recently received, therefore I couldn't start the expansion. Eventually I was able to fix the issue.

I'm using the GOG version of the game, and I'm also using GOG Galaxy. I was initially using version 2.01, that is, the latest one at this point, I guess.

Please be advised, I didn't care at all about losing any previous progress, or utterly ruining the game's files, so if you attempt my "fix", keep that in mind :)

Also please note, I don't know which step actually "fixed" the issue, so I'm going to describe them all, and let you decide...

1. I chose to play with a character created just before patch 2.01. I played the game until the temple of Woedica" quest ("Never far from the Queen");

2. Bought the expansion from GOG. The client wouldn't update the game, so I manually downloaded the expansion, and installed it;

3. Opened the game, and I could see the expansion icon enabled. I kept playing the game;

4. After leaving the catacombs, I got the message from the Steward. Went to Caed Nua, talked to the Steward, but wouldn't get the dialog;

5. Left the game, manually downloaded patch 2.01, and tried to install it. I couldn't. The installer couldn't find the game's installation folder;

6. Chose "Verify / Repair" from GOG Galaxy. Apparently it didn't do anything, but...

7. I opened the game again, the expansion icon was disabled, and couldn't see any save game created after patch 2.01;

8. Manually installed the expansion again;

9. Opened the game, the expansion icon was enabled, the save game files were there too;

10. Loaded my last save game at Caed Nua. The Steward this time did indeed give me the dialog, and could travel to the expansion area, however, after getting there, all textures were missing, so...

11. Manually installed patch 2.01, and this time it didn't complain;

12. Opened the game again, loaded my last save game (after talking to the Steward and getting the expansion dialog, but before going to the new area), and traveled to the expansion area. This time, textures were there, and everything seemed to be OK, and so far, things are actually working fine.

Hope it helps, and sorry for my terrible English.

Have fun!

Sadly, it doesn't help at all. Starting game from beginning will fix problem for most of us, but it's not the case - I'm quite not able nor willing to start from scratch, I bought expansion, but I can't use it properly, and aparently I'm not the only one with the problem, so It's product flaw. Since game is really great, studio did great job, etc etc, I'm willing to wait for solution, but twelve step mambo jumbo programm magic won't do the trick ;)

I had to face the same issue yesterday after buying The White March, the Steward wouldn't talk to me about the message recently received, therefore I couldn't start the expansion. Eventually I was able to fix the issue.

I'm using the GOG version of the game, and I'm also using GOG Galaxy. I was initially using version 2.01, that is, the latest one at this point, I guess.

Please be advised, I didn't care at all about losing any previous progress, or utterly ruining the game's files, so if you attempt my "fix", keep that in mind :)

Also please note, I don't know which step actually "fixed" the issue, so I'm going to describe them all, and let you decide...

1. I chose to play with a character created just before patch 2.01. I played the game until the temple of Woedica" quest ("Never far from the Queen");

2. Bought the expansion from GOG. The client wouldn't update the game, so I manually downloaded the expansion, and installed it;

3. Opened the game, and I could see the expansion icon enabled. I kept playing the game;

4. After leaving the catacombs, I got the message from the Steward. Went to Caed Nua, talked to the Steward, but wouldn't get the dialog;

5. Left the game, manually downloaded patch 2.01, and tried to install it. I couldn't. The installer couldn't find the game's installation folder;

6. Chose "Verify / Repair" from GOG Galaxy. Apparently it didn't do anything, but...

7. I opened the game again, the expansion icon was disabled, and couldn't see any save game created after patch 2.01;

8. Manually installed the expansion again;

9. Opened the game, the expansion icon was enabled, the save game files were there too;

10. Loaded my last save game at Caed Nua. The Steward this time did indeed give me the dialog, and could travel to the expansion area, however, after getting there, all textures were missing, so...

11. Manually installed patch 2.01, and this time it didn't complain;

12. Opened the game again, loaded my last save game (after talking to the Steward and getting the expansion dialog, but before going to the new area), and traveled to the expansion area. This time, textures were there, and everything seemed to be OK, and so far, things are actually working fine.

Hope it helps, and sorry for my terrible English.

Have fun!

I don't remember where i got my character previous patch update, and, maybe, we may found other issues. As said before, seems is somekind of "variable reset", is like, some quests/npc status has changed like you start the game in that moment, so, their status is like it was on the introducction... maybe, and just maybe, is possible you will encounter more problems related to that issue, even, if you can start white march.

Anyway, for me, seems to be a "big bug", is like, i payed for a game that is not working... and seems im not the only one... so im pretty sure obsidian is working hard to give us a patch to solve this.

Whatever... thank you for the workaround! :)

Same issue here.    Only started this playthrough because I wanted to play with the new content.  I'm not playing through Act I and racing through some of Act II, all the while tip-toeing through the game in the HOPES that it will fix the issue.

This is a possibly the most annoying bug I've ever encountered, mostly because I think this is the kind of thing that should be caught in testing (unike say, a hardware incompatibility or UI-related inconvenience.)  I CAN'T PLAY THE GAME.

in I don't want my money back. 

But I will never, ever purchase pre-release through Obsidian again.  

Edited by dangerlinto
  • Like 1

I think I have the same issue. I installed the White March expansion when I was early in the game. Now (act 2)The steward of the stronghold can't be interacted with, previously cleared monsters are back and the door to the lower levels in the Stronghold is closed.

All maps are reset. I can't reenter the Heritage Hill area to continue the main quest (the door is now closed and requires a key to open).

I have checked my older savegames to find out when the bug appeared. (SPOILER)The bug appeared when I fullfilled the Eder quest (Fragments of a Scattered Faith) in Clîaban Rilag after I picked up the Readceran Standard Piece and had the following conversation with Eder.

I think I have the same issue. I installed the White March expansion when I was early in the game. Now (act 2)The steward of the stronghold can't be interacted with, previously cleared monsters are back and the door to the lower levels in the Stronghold is closed.

All maps are reset. I can't reenter the Heritage Hill area to continue the main quest (the door is now closed and requires a key to open).

I have checked my older savegames to find out when the bug appeared. (SPOILER)The bug appeared when I fullfilled the Eder quest (Fragments of a Scattered Faith) in Clîaban Rilag after I picked up the Readceran Standard Piece and had the following conversation with Eder.

This got sense, i got the same problem and eder keeps waiting for some talk, but, already used all the options of the conversation.

This got sense, i got the same problem and eder keeps waiting for some talk, but, already used all the options of the conversation.

Same here, there's the speak symbol at Eder's avatar, it won't go away. I'm playing from a savegame before this now. Lost many hours of gameplay...

Not sure if its 'right before' but It's hard to get one 'just before' - still, talking to Stewart is available, and in the nearest future, it won't be.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovn1pu41tww5hl1/e6d6563308344ae6a2ab1ee6218b3266%2013220053%20RuinywJelenimBrodzie.savegame?oref=e&n=284187319

Edited by Kringer
  • Like 1

Hey all, 

Looking into this issue, if anyone has a save game right before accepting Eders quest can you please post it here? Would be a huge assist.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean with right before accepting Eders quest. When you visit the records archive in Defiance Bay? When you speak with Maerwald? When the Fragments of a scattered faith quest begin right after Eder joins the party?

This savegame is from right before the quest conversation with Eder in Clîaban Rilag that triggered the bug, and where the Steward can be interacted with, the entrance to Heritage Hill is open (because of the Crucible Knights task), and maps are not reset:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8f0fzvvcoelrubd/8131c6d20ca4438fa3ae0255796f92fe%2014214682%20ClabanRilag.savegame?dl=0

This savegame is from right after that conversation with Eder, and here the Steward cannot be interacted with, maps are reset and Heritage Hill is closed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlxa1b55boj69vb/8131c6d20ca4438fa3ae0255796f92fe%2014246398%20ClabanRilagLevel1.savegame?dl=0

Edited by toroks

Hello everyone,

Apologize for the delay. There have been multiple posts about this bug and answered all of them but looks like I missed this one. The issue has been fixed and is now live on the 2.02 beta patch. If you wish to participate in the beta, please refer to this link.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76849-patch-betas-on-steam/

Thank you very much.