Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update 100: The White March - Part I

Update 2.00 The White March Expansion Release DRKN

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Gorbag

Gorbag

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Woohoo! Definitely will purchase, but I'll probably wait for part 2 before I play. Mostly for the same reasons I like to wait for a full season of something to hit Netflix. I have to avoid spoilers like the plague but if I succeed I don't claw my eyes out mid season out of impatience.

Thanks Obsidian ;)

Part I is supposed to be a complete story that does not end with a cliffhanger, so I think it would be fine. Since this is a Tales of the Sword Coast - like expansion, I expect Part II to pick up other stories in other places.
Still, waiting to get both parts is worth it if you want to get the experience of an old school expansion pack.

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Part I is supposed to be a complete story that does not end with a cliffhanger, so I think it would be fine. Since this is a Tales of the Sword Coast - like expansion, I expect Part II to pick up other stories in other places.
Still, waiting to get both parts is worth it if you want to get the experience of an old school expansion pack.

And here I thought that your party's gonna end up in the lowest parts of the Durgan's Battery with some impossible-to-open huge door that will only be accessible to the player after part 2 is installed.

Phew :)

• gogocactus likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
IIRC Josh said in an interview that Part II would deal with the consequences of Part I.
  • wanderon, Bryy and Gorbag like this

Gorbag

Gorbag

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

And here I thought that your party's gonna end up in the lowest parts of the Durgan's Battery with some impossible-to-open huge door that will only be accessible to the player after part 2 is installed.

Phew :)

You thought wrong.

Take that, sarcasm!

leo1984

leo1984

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Steam:qwerty_84

has already been announced when probably will be released part II of the white march? 

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
March 2016 according to a German magazine, IIRC. Obsidian never Said anything official about it though.

koteko

koteko

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

How much does it add to the original playthrough (if anything at all)?

I'm trying to decide if to use my "last save" or start a new game: I'll do the latter if there is enough new stuff :)

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3777 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

has already been announced when probably will be released part II of the white march? 

From GOG:

"The White March Part II automatically becomes available to Expansion Pass owners as soon as it is released this Winter."

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1274 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm trying to decide if to use my "last save" or start a new game: I'll do the latter if there is enough new stuff :)

I spent several hours this afternoon just clearing a single map which included several unique items. :thumbsup:

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I spent several hours this afternoon just clearing a single map which included several unique items. :thumbsup:

added into the original game area?  (Or do you mean an expansion area?).

Any new content beyond items in the original areas?  (conversations / NPCs / quests (whether related to White March or not) / etc?)

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3065 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Any new content beyond items in the original areas?  (conversations / NPCs / quests (whether related to White March or not) / etc?)

There's a lot of stuff that links from White March to other areas--a soulbound weapon whose completion quest is visiting areas in the normal game, a companions quest which appears to include tracking down somebody in the original game, etc. I don't know about new things in the original game itself, though--I honestly don't think that's a thing. I believe your supposed to play White March area at a certain point midway in the game, as if it's just another area to explore.

• Silent Winter likes this

koteko

koteko

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Yep, I was interested in how much White March content was added to the original playthrough. Or said it another way: by taking my save in the Burial Isle, do I lose anything of "White March" compared to starting a new game?

The answer seems to be no, thanks Katarack21.

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1274 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This was a new expansion area - have not spent enough time in an original area except to note the new rest bonuses in stronghold.

DrBrian

DrBrian

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
Can we know if part II will be at the end of the main game or in the middle like part I?

Edited by DrBrian, 27 August 2015 - 06:55 AM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Can we know if part II will be at the end of the main game or in the middle like part I?

Likely in the middle. It will deal with the consequences of part I

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Josh has been active on SA (link). Here are some copy-pasted quotes:

• Personally, I think a 7th or 8th level party is a good fit for TWM's crit path, but the side content is meant for characters that are 11+.
  • We didn't design new stronghold content for Part I, but it's been a focus for me for Part II.
  • For the next patch, I've lowered some of the more eye-watering requirements [to unlock soulbound weapons' powers, n.d.a.] and BMac has made a code fix that allows a fall-through for class or race-specific damage/kill requirements at 5x the base value. E.g. if you've massacred every wizard in the game and have a weapon that requires 5 wizard kills, you can fulfill the requirement by killing 25 of anything with the weapon.
  • We'd like to keep making games in the PoE world. I don't know what metrics the owners would require for us to move forward with that, though. A lot of us have talked about ideas for PoE2 but we haven't done any work beyond that.
  • Most of the feedback I saw on Defender was negative, but I saw one or two people in favor of the changes. Granted, the pool of people commenting wasn't large, maybe 6-8. I'd like to see more feedback on it in play. Fighters with >10 Con have more Endurance now and Constant Recovery scales (though it starts with a lower base value). Between the changes to Defender and Wary Defender, it's a loss of 20 points of Deflection -- a lot, but D/WD shield-based fighters were incredibly far ahead of other characters in the late game. The alternative I proposed was reducing Accuracy, but for a character who's just attempting to hold a line, that may not be a meaningful drawback for the modal.
  • I probably won't be tuning these [multi-class talents, n.d.a.] for the upcoming patch, but I will for the next one.
  • Spiritshift armor and weapons now get more powerful every three levels. A lot of the base class abilities (e.g. Constant Recovery, Arcane Assault) scale now.

• rjshae, Doppelschwert, iLurk and 3 others like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5057 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Will the individual stealth feature be available to those who have not yet purchased the expansion?

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Soulbound weapons right now are so underwhelming.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3065 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Josh has been active on SA (link). Here are some copy-pasted quotes:

• Personally, I think a 7th or 8th level party is a good fit for TWM's crit path, but the side content is meant for characters that are 11+.
  • We didn't design new stronghold content for Part I, but it's been a focus for me for Part II.
  • For the next patch, I've lowered some of the more eye-watering requirements [to unlock soulbound weapons' powers, n.d.a.] and BMac has made a code fix that allows a fall-through for class or race-specific damage/kill requirements at 5x the base value. E.g. if you've massacred every wizard in the game and have a weapon that requires 5 wizard kills, you can fulfill the requirement by killing 25 of anything with the weapon.
  • We'd like to keep making games in the PoE world. I don't know what metrics the owners would require for us to move forward with that, though. A lot of us have talked about ideas for PoE2 but we haven't done any work beyond that.
  • Most of the feedback I saw on Defender was negative, but I saw one or two people in favor of the changes. Granted, the pool of people commenting wasn't large, maybe 6-8. I'd like to see more feedback on it in play. Fighters with >10 Con have more Endurance now and Constant Recovery scales (though it starts with a lower base value). Between the changes to Defender and Wary Defender, it's a loss of 20 points of Deflection -- a lot, but D/WD shield-based fighters were incredibly far ahead of other characters in the late game. The alternative I proposed was reducing Accuracy, but for a character who's just attempting to hold a line, that may not be a meaningful drawback for the modal.
  • I probably won't be tuning these [multi-class talents, n.d.a.] for the upcoming patch, but I will for the next one.
  • Spiritshift armor and weapons now get more powerful every three levels. A lot of the base class abilities (e.g. Constant Recovery, Arcane Assault) scale now.

Awesome. Thank you! I do have a question for the developers, though. About this line:

"We'd like to keep making games in the PoE world. I don't know what metrics the owners would require for us to move forward with that, though. A lot of us have talked about ideas for PoE2 but we haven't done any work beyond that."

Aren't the owners Obsidian? Do they not have control over this IP?

Lychnidos

Lychnidos

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts

Aren't the owners Obsidian? Do they not have control over this IP?

Obsidian owns the IP, but Sawyer is only an employee and is posting on his own behalf, not the company's.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update 2.00, The White March, Expansion, Release, DRKN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users