Hard drive issue

SadExchange

I recently decided to buy some SSD drives and replace my old hard drive since it was getting older.  I ended up buying 2 250 GB Samsung hard drives.  After installing them and reinstalling Windows 7, I have an odd problem.  If I leave my computer unattended overnight, I come back in the morning and there's a black screen with a blinking cursor like a prompt.  I've never had this problem before.

Due to this, I reformatted and reinstall Windows again, however have the same problem.  Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be the problem?  I've tried googling quite a bit, but can't seem to find anything.

My system is a 

AMD Phenom X4 965

Nvidia 750ti 

8 GB Ram

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Look in Windows Logs, in both Application and System. Check the entries during the time you were not using the computer (i.e. when the system hanged), particularly for the error level events, and see if any of it illuminates you on what the problem might be.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Look in Windows Logs, in both Application and System. Check the entries during the time you were not using the computer (i.e. when the system hanged), particularly for the error level events, and see if any of it illuminates you on what the problem might be.

Thank you both for the feedback

Looking at when I believe something took place.  This appears to have been when it shut down.

Faulting application name: Report32.exe, version: 9.1.2.2352, time stamp: 0x5d9046ea
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b29c
Exception code: 0xc0000029
Fault offset: 0x000904be
Faulting process id: 0xb38
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0dea68dcc0b12
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACI32\Applications\Report32.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 0b0ed17e-4ad0-11e5-9843-0026189f3a51

and then when I turned on, being the next error shown, it states

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Any thoughts on that?

That's an unusual faulting application, I think. The faulting module isn't of much use, either. Only thing I can really find that may help is if you open up a command prompt (if you don't know what that is, open up a run prompt via Windows Key + R, type in cmd and then run it), typing sfc /scannow, which should correct corrupt files relevant to that error...but I'm not really expecting that to work, and after that it seems like a wash. There's nothing else?

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I did run that scannow command and nothing came up as a problem.

Other errors that popped up after the system restarted include:

Distributed COM

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

A few Service Control Manager errors

The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error: 
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The DNS Client service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service which failed to start because of the following error: 

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error: 

The Network Store Interface Service service depends on the NSI proxy service driver. service which failed to start because of the following error: 

The Workstation service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: 
The dependency service or group failed to start.

The IP Helper service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: 

The SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service depends on the Redirected Buffering Sub Sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error: 

The SMB 1.x MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error: 

The SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error: 

The Network Location Awareness service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: 

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
AFD
aswRdr
aswRvrt
aswSnx
aswSP
aswVmm
DfsC
discache
NetBIOS
NetBT
nsiproxy
Psched
rdbss
spldr
tdx
Wanarpv6
WfpLwf

These all took place after the restart.  Whenever I come upon the blinking cursor problem, I need to hard restart into safe mode and then restart into normal mode, otherwise it won't go past the blinking cursor the next time.

Errors that took place before that application error I pasted the first time were a CAPI2 error stating 

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root certificate from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/47BEABC922EAE80E78783462A79F45C254FDE68B.crt> with error: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

Anything from this?  Thank you for your time so far.

Now I just had a lock up, where I needed to hard reset and go through safe mode again.  And every error I gave above then came after the restart took place.  There isn't any preceeding the crash.  Could it be faulty ports on the motherboard.  Should I try switching Sata ports with my hard drives?

Sure. Given that you've reformatted at least once already, it almost certainly has to be a hardware problem, anyhow. You can try switching SATA ports, but you should also try a memtest with memtest86, as well. However, given what you said about needing to boot into safe mode first before being able to boot back into non-safe mode, it does sound like the problem(s) may lean towards other things, such as your hard drive. Switching SATA ports can't hurt.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Well. I think I'm gonna switch my main hard drive to the second port. Leave the second hard drive unplugged for the time being and test it for the time being. Maybe it's the port. I had my old main plugged into the second port. So crossing my fingers. Thanks so far.

So...what happened? :p

• Like 1

I kept switching ports for the SATA for the hard drives, then I decided to just plug in one hard drive for a night and see what would happen.  After 24 hours, I didn't have any problems, so I plugged in my second one and then after a couple starts, it installed drivers for the second hard drive and has worked fine since which has been great as you can imagine with all the stuff going on.

However, yesterday I got a blue screen and accidently clicked through it without reading what it was.  And since then, I've had a lock up today where I need to go back and restart in safe mode and then restart and then it's fine.  Not sure what's going on.  I think the blue screen might have been from keeping too many windows open for an extended period of time, a few work programs, and then playing a game, maybe running the system out of memory, but the lock ups.  Not quite sure.

Funny enough, on top of that, my second monitor won't come out of power save mode, but I believe that's due to a fault vga to hdmi input cord just going bad, so I ordered another one.

I would like to solve this lock up issue if it persists.  When I got to my event viewer, I'm just seeing the same stuff happen right before and during lock up that I noted above.  

I will add that looking at the list of optional updates I need to install for Windows (Win 7), there is one for a Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7, so that gives a little hope along with the other 70 updates.

Edited by SadExchange

It still sounds like some sort of hardware problem: none of what you said (not having some Windows updates, having too much stuff open, etc.) should really be ever causing regular issues like you've detailed. Maybe something extremely rarely...but not like what you've been experiencing.

• Like 1

Yeah, that should not matter in the slightest, unless that printer is actually the problem, which I really doubt it is. I mean, I guess you could try unplugging that and seeing if it makes any difference, but really, that's basically just doing something at random and has as much of a chance of fixing something as unplugging your DVD drive or something. :p

I might've spoken a little too strongly in my previous post. When it comes to computers, doing random crap like unplugging your printer isn't too terrible of an idea, particularly if you don't have a clear idea of what the issue is to begin with. Indeed, if you're troubleshooting with little to show for it, doing "random" stuff like that is probably what you want to do next - just to try and get something to change in your situation. As an example of doing something totally random-seeming fixing something, if you try to restore from a Windows system image using the Windows 7 re-imaging tool, and you happen to have a flash drive plugged in, the restore will inexplicably fail for no reason every time. Don't know why, and the program doesn't even say it's the result of the flash drive being plugged in: it just doesn't work if there is one plugged in. Remove the flash drive, and things work perfectly again. So if you're desperate, doing stuff like that isn't really a bad idea...it just isn't all too likely to fix your problems or reveal what the problem is...but if you're talking about spending >$100 to possibly fix what may or may not be the actual cause of the problem (you're even completely sure yet!), doing that sort of stuff is likely worth your time. :p

Well, now it's my turn. My 2 TB Western Digital gave up last night. According to CrystalDisk, it's been up and running for 19452 hours.. which would be kind of OK if not my old 500 GB Hitatchi was still up and running flawlessly (not in my computer anymore though). This is only the second time an actively used harddrive has given up on me (the first was one of those infamous IBM glass platter ones).

Thanks, Western Digital, but I'm going back to Hitachi again (ordered a 4 TB one today).

Backblaze-2015.jpg

HGST is Hitachi. And I feel so sorry for everyone who bought a Seagate. Ouch.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hitachi actually is a full subsidiary of Western Digital these days...though I'm sure (if that graph is to be believed), they still use at least slightly differing technologies or quality control or something.

My Seagate 1TB has 38787 hours of uptime (or 1616 days, or 4.43 years), according to its SMART data. I got it...just almost 5 years ago, which means I've been running it pretty close to 24/7 since I got it. I've never had a Seagate fail on me...I literally have like 15 year old 80GBs that are still good that I put to miscellaneous use. In contrast, every WD I've had has died in 2-3 years. It's very weird how lucky I've been with Seagates and how unlucky I've been with Western Digitals - opposite to everyone else's experiences, it seems.

I installed the Hitachi yesterday. I'm surprised by how silent it runs. None of that annoying ratchety sounds the WD has every time it does a seek.

Also, a lot more of the disk was dead than I first suspected. When I migrated to the new disk, I had to restart the computer several times during migration because the WD somehow locks up the entire system forever once it runs into a damaged area. I managed to save all my pics and personal items though and only "lost" a few movies and games (Test Drive Unlimited 2 was the game that finally showed me something was wrong when it stopped working).

• 2 weeks later...

Look forward to paying $700 CAD for that. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, that's interesting. I always thought it was the fan trying to cool my horrible 6 core Intel Core i7-970 cpu that made the most sound in my system, but I finally removed the 2 TB Western Digital Caviar Black today and now I can't hear my computer anymore! That thing must have been so noisy!

Although, I also vacuumed my CPU cooler today.. Maybe that lowered the CPU fan speed a bit?

Ok, that's interesting. I always thought it was the fan trying to cool my horrible 6 core Intel Core i7-970 cpu that made the most sound in my system, but I finally removed the 2 TB Western Digital Caviar Black today and now I can't hear my computer anymore! That thing must have been so noisy!

Sounds like ear cancer. You should get that checked.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.