What you did today

Blarghagh

Though a realist, I attend church every Sunday and believe that there is something glorious in creation, it for me does not have to be limited to a deity or any kind of sapient consciousness. A God who holds all reality in his hand and is all reality is simply not concievable to me, and I do not think that we would be perceptible to him. We are slabs of meat, but we also have self knowledge, perception of our surroundings, the ability to aspire and create beauty and goodness. We are alive and that is lucky in and of itself, we are conscious and that is even more rare, the fern is a far more successful species than ours and consciousness is not needed for life. We are surrounded by a universe of unimaginable beauty and fertility, a true Eden, and lifes pleasures (despite all the complications we create) are simple and good, and we are capable of such kindness as to astound the uncaring stars.

Yes we die and rot in the ground, this is why I do not believe in any heaven, but when we rot we return to the mother and enter a near eternal cycle that is billions of years old. Becoming one with all life and the universe is to me not such a bad end, it is harmonious and somewhat poetic.

We are not special, life is short and pointless but that is what is great about life: We have an opportunity to do so much, to pass on our genes to our children, to give them a good start in life, to help our friends and contribute to society. Life is pointless until you give it a point, and strive towards that, and try and improve yourself and help others. A little kindness here and there, such an easy thing to do, to improve and leave behind a heritage that may not matter in the uncaring dark vastness of space but matters to us for the brief time we are here.

Humanity is flawed, we are petty, corrupt and hateful but we do not have to be, we can aspire to the greatest heights. And though that may not have any point, it also does no harm and makes the brief lives of ourselves and others a little better. A small victory.

That sounds rather sappy, but never mind.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Though a realist, I attend church every Sunday and believe that there is something glorious in creation, it for me does not have to be limited to a deity or any kind of sapient consciousness. A God who holds all reality in his hand and is all reality is simply not concievable to me, and I do not think that we would be perceptible to him. We are slabs of meat, but we also have self knowledge, perception of our surroundings, the ability to aspire and create beauty and goodness. We are alive and that is lucky in and of itself, we are conscious and that is even more rare, the fern is a far more successful species than ours and consciousness is not needed for life. We are surrounded by a universe of unimaginable beauty and fertility, a true Eden, and lifes pleasures (despite all the complications we create) are simple and good, and we are capable of such kindness as to astound the uncaring stars.

Yes we die and rot in the ground, this is why I do not believe in any heaven, but when we rot we return to the mother and enter a near eternal cycle that is billions of years old. Becoming one with all life and the universe is to me not such a bad end, it is harmonious and somewhat poetic.

We are not special, life is short and pointless but that is what is great about life: We have an opportunity to do so much, to pass on our genes to our children, to give them a good start in life, to help our friends and contribute to society. Life is pointless until you give it a point, and strive towards that, and try and improve yourself and help others. A little kindness here and there, such an easy thing to do, to improve and leave behind a heritage that may not matter in the uncaring dark vastness of space but matters to us for the brief time we are here.

Humanity is flawed, we are petty, corrupt and hateful but we do not have to be, we can aspire to the greatest heights. And though that may not have any point, it also does no harm and makes the brief lives of ourselves and others a little better. A small victory.

That sounds rather sappy, but never mind.

You make some good points but also some strange points  

But its the  generalizations that I had to respond to because I know you prefer people letting you know when you wrong

We dont need to be special because the word special is subjective in this sense. Everyone is special and no one is, for example I don't consider myself special but that doesn't  mean my life hasn't been significant. For example look at how much your life has improved since I started posting here....sometimes Nonek we tend to forget the important things 

Also not all of humanity is flawed, not at all. I just think we should refrain from those types of psedo-intellectual points  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Buddhism.

Why? You seem very sure?

A religious system where everyone gets what's coming to them but through reincarnation will always have the oppertunity to better themselves? That seems like a religion founded on forgiveness. Moreso than the one where you burn in hell for all eternity if you don't love a guy who has been dead for two centuries.

Re: Christianity. I'm always intrigued by the story of the Eskimo who asked if he would have gone to hell if he didn't know about God and Jesus and is told that no, if he didn't know about it, he wouldn't go to hell. So he asks the missionary: "Then why did you tell me?". If you could tell someone the truth, but it's an outlandish truth that they might not believe, yet if they don't believe you they would be condemned to hell for all eternity, are you doing a good thing by telling them the truth? Is the very spread of christianity, even discounting the terrible bloody history of the religion, an evil at its core? You go out of your way to lower the chances of people to get into the kingdom of Heaven.

As for what the truth really is... who knows? Certainly not any human alive. The universe is so infinitely large that the odds that a single human, including atheists, has ever known an absolute truth about the universe are so small that it's essentially zero. I take comfort in that - there are probably glorious things, but none of the idiots on this planet will ever be right about it and that's for the best since human answers are "hell" or "the heat death of the universe".

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 3

I've come to believe there is a purpose to life. But it is not something grand or even complex. If fact it is the simplest thing imaginable. We are here because we are here. That is it. There is nothing more to it. This very morning I got up at 6:30 and as I usually do I made a pot of coffee and sat on the east side of the porch to watch the sun rise. I try to watch the sun rise and set every day when I can. I get more peace from that than I can describe.

Anyway it was cool and misting rain. There was a dense fog hanging over the river. Everything smells clean and new, you know how it does after a hard rain. My dog Sunny walks to the end of the porch sits on the top step, puts her nose up and just sniffs the air with a look of absolute contentment. I think that is why we are here. To just see what we see and appreciate it for what it is.

A few months ago I walked down to a wide spot in the river to catch some catfish. The dogs went with me of course. Once they settled down they just sat on the riverbank next to me and watched the river roll by. When we were walking back it was well after dark. We have to cross a ravine with a creek in the bottom to get back to the house. When we got there the ravine was full of fireflies. Hundreds, maybe thousands of fireflies. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. If God put me on earth just to see that it was worth it.

When Hurlshot was watching his kids play he probably thought it was a perfect moment. And it was. But the secret I think is that every moment is perfect in some way. No matter where in the world you are right now there is something remarkable to see near you right now if you just look around for it. Have you ever just lived in one moment? Concentrated only on how good the drink in your hand tastes? Have you ever noticed the little flower growing in a crack of a sidewalk, or really listened to that bird singing nearby, or the way your wife's eye crinkle when she laughs? Every moment is perfect. I think that is what life is all about. 

Nonek came real close to a good point. We are capable of creating good & beauty but the most important lesson is to appreciate it when you see it, and see it everywhere it exists.

I better cut back on the drinks before I serve ya'll up another round  of "bourbon philosophy" :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've come to believe there is a purpose to life. But it is not something grand or even complex. If fact it is the simplest thing imaginable. We are here because we are here. That is it. There is nothing more to it. This very morning I got up at 6:30 and as I usually do I made a pot of coffee and sat on the east side of the porch to watch the sun rise. I try to watch the sun rise and set every day when I can. I get more peace from that than I can describe.

Anyway it was cool and misting rain. There was a dense fog hanging over the river. Everything smells clean and new, you know how it does after a hard rain. My dog Sunny walks to the end of the porch sits on the top step, puts her nose up and just sniffs the air with a look of absolute contentment. I think that is why we are here. To just see what we see and appreciate it for what it is.

A few months ago I walked down to a wide spot in the river to catch some catfish. The dogs went with me of course. Once they settled down they just sat on the riverbank next to me and watched the river roll by. When we were walking back it was well after dark. We have to cross a ravine with a creek in the bottom to get back to the house. When we got there the ravine was full of fireflies. Hundreds, maybe thousands of fireflies. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. If God put me on earth just to see that it was worth it.

When Hurlshot was watching his kids play he probably thought it was a perfect moment. And it was. But the secret I think is that every moment is perfect in some way. No matter where in the world you are right now there is something remarkable to see near you right now if you just look around for it. Have you ever just lived in one moment? Concentrated only on how good the drink in your hand tastes? Have you ever noticed the little flower growing in a crack of a sidewalk, or really listened to that bird singing nearby, or the way your wife's eye crinkle when she laughs? Every moment is perfect. I think that is what life is all about. 

Nonek came real close to a good point. We are capable of creating good & beauty but the most important lesson is to appreciate it when you see it, and see it everywhere it exists.

I better cut back on the drinks before I serve ya'll up another round  of "bourbon philosophy" :lol:

I appreciate your honesty and the fact you shared this personal experience 

But I would like to have this discussion with you in a different way. I have to signal Nonek out but its not personal its just you using his words to make a point and I don't get it, Nonek did say " We are slabs of meat, but we also have self knowledge, perception of our surroundings, the ability to aspire and create beauty and goodness" ...that may sound relevant but what does it really mean ....its  a platitude and they always sound good because what he said doesn't and will never apply to many people and thats what I want us to consider

For example I live in a country where 60 % of the population live in what most would consider poverty yet many black South Africans are religious. But for them every single day is basically a struggle and if said to them " We are slabs of meat, but we also have self knowledge, perception of our surroundings, the ability to aspire and create beauty and goodness"  they would probably agree but in fact have no idea how this is relevant to them....because its not 

Now I know we are talking about personal experiences but surly any epiphanies we have about the purpose of life needs to be able to be relevant to people less fortunate or just others?

Sorry if I sound negative but I just want to expand this debate 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Every personal experience I just related is free. Even people in the direst of poverty can find joy when their child laughs. Or be truly grateful when they have a meal to share with family or a friend. The important thing in life is appreciating the little things is all I'm saying. Doing that will not solve a single problem anyone has but it can make them easier to deal with. That moment of happiness has value beyond measure even if it only lasts a moment. And the little things in life are really the big things.

That's all I'm saying.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Every personal experience I just related is free. Even people in the direst of poverty can find joy when their child laughs. Or be truly grateful when they have a meal to share with family or a friend. The important thing in life is appreciating the little things is all I'm saying. Doing that will not solve a single problem anyone has but it can make them easier to deal with. That moment of happiness has value beyond measure even if it only lasts a moment. And the little things in life are really the big things.

That's all I'm saying.

Sure, I get what you saying and 

But my point being that wouldn't apply to most people so for me its not something that would provide meaning or comfort if I tried to use it South Africa. So at the moment if I had to ask your average impoverished black South African " how can you believe in God ...do you have proof. Your life doesn't seem that great...how can you be religious " ( this is just an example I would never ever say this")  They would look at me and because what I am asking seems so severe...so desolate...I mean they have literally suffered there whole lives and now I'm saying " and guess what ....there also isn't a  heaven " that would a very depressing reality so all they would say " there is  a God ...there must be "...I actually heard something similar on this talk show where the commentator really said " why are Africans always suffering ....have we been cursed by God....we seem to have nothing yet we are religious " 

I am looking for something outside what I believe, I dont have thel right answer but I have a good opinion 

John Milton 

I am a religious man in my own way and I absolutely believe there is a spiritual aspect to all life.

Not me. I am of the mind that people are just slabs of meat and our existence is short and pointless. Nothing about us is special and life is ultimately without meaning or purpose. I think it's a pretty optimistic view of things.

Heard Linkin Park while reading this.

I hate Linkin Park. 

I am watching my 5 year old run around at gymnastics, and it is pretty hard not to see life as special while doing that. :)

Don't confuse wonderful with special. I love life too, but it isn't "special" from what I can tell.

A religious system where everyone gets what's coming to them but through reincarnation will always have the oppertunity to better themselves? That seems like a religion founded on forgiveness. Moreso than the one where you burn in hell for all eternity if you don't love a guy who has been dead for two centuries.

Yeah, that's a pretty good choice. Fingers crossed. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I believe in a Reasonablism. Hail the great lizard who will usher this world into its deserved end.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yes the little things, I don't think we stop often enough to take pleasure in our own existence, or think about what we actually need in life. So much of the time our needs are dictated by society, ego or tradition, but as i've grown older I have to say that i've more and more come to realise that only a few things are important in life, and they are not measured in terms of wealth. Indeed some of the wealthiest individuals i've ever met are nasty, amoral and bitter little yapdogs.

A drink sounds very good, in wine there is wisdom, as the saying goes.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I find religion and spiritual beliefs to be fascinating but am not a believer myself. My mom was actually very much into it and she read the bible often but never forced it upon me growing up as she always said that such important decisions were best made when people are old/wise/knowledgeable enough to understand them

Buffalo's 4 straight Super Bowl losses sealed the deal. I kid. Mostly

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

Before I had kids, I would daydream about raising them to be spiritually versatile and adaptable, along with the standard physical and academic range of skills.  

But then I had them and the reality is it's a big deal just to keep them alive.   :blink:

• Like 1

Yes, regular bathing and the brushing of teeth is difficult enough. What's interesting to me is in which ways they choose to rebel, quite unexpected usually.

Tea for the teapot!

Kneel before the fires of Zorp the Surveyor's volcanic maw!

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Remember those "ghost hunters" I posted about. I saw it in the paper this morning. They got arrested for trespassing. According to the paper they were arrested cited and released. I don't know what the going rate for a trespassing fine is Shelby County is but it's probably not too expensive.

The moral of the story is if you are going to sneak into a place you have no business (or permission) to be, be circumspect about it, There must of been 20 of them with cameras, floodlights, making all kinds of noise. The probably pissed off one of the people who lived near by.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

EDIT: Here's a neat question: What religion would you like to be true?

Pastafarianism.

The Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts"
  1. I'd Really Rather You Didn't Act Like A Sanctimonious, Holier-Than-Thou Ass When Describing My Noodly Goodness. If some people don't believe in me, that's okay. Really. I'm not that vain. Besides, this isn't about them so don't change the subject. OK?
  2. I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I don't require sacrifices and purity is for drinking water, not people.
  3. I'd Really Rather You Didn't Judge People For The Way They Look, Or How They Dress, Or The Way They Talk, Or, Well, Just Play Nice, Okay? Oh, and get this in your thick heads: Woman = Person. Man = Person. Samey-Samey. One is not better than the other, unless we're talking about fashion. Then, I'm sorry, but I gave that to women and some guys who know the difference between teal and fuchsia.
  4. I'd Really Rather You Didn't Indulge In Conduct That Offends Yourself, Or Your Willing, Consenting Partner Of Legal Age AND Mental Maturity. As for anyone who might object, I think the expression is, " Go f*** yourself," Unless they find that offensive in which case they can turn off the TV for once and go for a walk for a change.
  5. I'd Really Rather You Didn't Challenge The Bigoted, Misogynist, Hateful Ideas Of Others On An Empty Stomach. Eat, Then, go after the B******.
  6. I'd Really Rather You Didn't Build Multimillion-Dollar Churches/ Temples/Mosques/Shrines To My Noodly Goodness When The Money Could Be Better Spent (take your pick); Ending Poverty, Curing Diseases, Living In Peace, Loving With Passion, And Lowering The Cost Of Cable. I might be a complex-carbohydrate, omniscient being, But I enjoy the simple things in life. I ought to know. I AM the Creator.
  7. I'd Really Rather You Didn't Go Around Telling People I Talk To You. You're not that interesting. Get over yourself. And, I told you to love your fellow man. Can't you take a hint?
  8. I'd Really Rather You Didn't Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You If You Are Into, Um, Stuff That Uses A Lot Of Leather/Lubricant/Las Vegas. If the other person is into it, however (Pursuant To #4), then have at it. Take Pictures.  But for the love of Mike, wear A CONDOM! Honestly, it's a piece of rubber. If I didn't want it to feel good when you did it, I would have added spikes or something.

R'amen.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Far less kids showed up for Halloween this year so I have a lot of surplus chocolate bars and so on. Could give them to coworkers but really have none I give two ****s about.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Found out the hard way that German banks can take lessons from UK banks in anal retentiveness. No way can you open a bank account (even if you are a returning UK citizen, no kidding) unless you have a permanent address in the UK. So, had to go out and rent a place where I'm never going to set foot, just so I can visit the bank tomorrow with a piece of paper that says, yes Gorth lives here, even if it's just for show. Bloody paper pushers :roll:

Also getting intimately familiar with the M4, M3, M25 and M5.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The Halloween party was pretty cool. Wearing the mask was torture but totally worth it. 

piggy2_zpsar1d90pa.jpg+++

Also the scarecrow costume was ace too. 

piggy4_zpsa9m2xgnu.jpg

I have to say the mask looks less creepy than it did in previous pictures.

I drank too much but avoided a hangover by chugging water before I went to sleep.

Woldan's get up is pretty f----d up actually. If I saw that walking down the side of the road I'd be highly motivated to stay away.

Or put him down. :lol:

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Got more confirmation FO4 will suck, depressed me knowing it was an "I told you so" scenario where some of the exact suspicions I had are now true.

Moreover I wish I knew why something like that depresses me. When I say "depressed," I mean I can sit a good hour or two at that news just feeling upset about it. I've long abandoned any hope for the franchise and get no pleasure from seeing it fail, so I imagine any depression I get from it is independent of the game or anything, yet I've no idea why it bothers me so much. Best guess I just hate feeling like I can't make a difference, like all the people I told "this will happen" still won't learn a damned thing and end up in a similar situation in the future all over again...? Had a similar such "fight" with a TF2 comp team where I got the sense the guy I fought with won't change, don't wanna touch that **** again with a 10-foot pole for that exact reason, not sure if it's the same case here with Fallout though. No clue, but NOT knowing is what's truly bothersome, especially when it's like wtf it's a ****ing GAME and so unimportant, so either I care THAT MUCH about a game and I need to go the **** outside or it's more about some aspect of the issue rather than the game itself but I dunno what aspect it is. Too curious for not knowing stuff like that.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?