What you did today

Blarghagh

I've been trying to figure out a reasonably priced little getaway for the wife and me over the holidays, when I stumbled upon a 3-star michelin rated restaurant in our area. Most of them tend to be in the city, so that was a nice surprise. Then I looked at the menu, it is $210 each, and it would be another $180 each if we want the wine pairing. Holy moly!

That's not in Yountville is it?

Nope, it's not French Laundry, which is pretty famous.  It's a fairly new place called Manresa in Los Gatos.

I think the most I've spent on a dinner was about $400.  That was at Nobu in Vegas.

Edited by Hurlshot

I took my dog Sunny to the vet to get her teeth cleaned. Since I didn't want to leave my other dog Tommy home alone so he & I sat on a picnic table outside Old Timers BBQ restaurant. I drank a big glass of unsweetened ice tea, he drank ice water and we split a basket of smoked brisket. No sauce for him though. Once we picked Sunny up she was intently sniffing both of us. She knew something was up! 

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Personally I suspect the Lord in his infinite wisdom created dogs and their upkeep to save many marriages, taking Fido for a walk and relaxing with a cold pint on a hot day has cooled many a mans temper I expect.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Personally I suspect the Lord in his infinite wisdom created dogs and their upkeep to save many marriages, taking Fido for a walk and relaxing with a cold pint on a hot day has cooled many a mans temper I expect.

No argument here. But sadly there are some things once broken even the earnest love of a dog can't mend.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've been trying to figure out a reasonably priced little getaway for the wife and me over the holidays, when I stumbled upon a 3-star michelin rated restaurant in our area. Most of them tend to be in the city, so that was a nice surprise. Then I looked at the menu, it is $210 each, and it would be another $180 each if we want the wine pairing. Holy moly!

That's not in Yountville is it?

Nope, it's not French Laundry, which is pretty famous. It's a fairly new place called Manresa in Los Gatos.

I think the most I've spent on a dinner was about $400. That was at Nobu in Vegas.

Well, I figured it wasn't Famous Dave's.

Are you considering plonking down the $400?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Assembled the last pieces for my Snake Plissken Halloween costume. Auspiciously, this year's Halloween feature at my local movie theater is The Thing.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Turns out my kid broke the tv on day 91 of the 90 day return policy. Similar to my video card dying on day 31 of the 30 day return policy a few years back.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Made an appointment with my hairdresser.- now that I didn't cut it for 6 months I have semi long hair and I cannot bear it anymore, long hair is annoying. It looks messy, unhygienic, collects sweat, its warm and feels like foreign matter on top of my head. I can't wait for tomorrow  - a couple of millimeters on the sides and 3 centimeters on top and I'll feel fine again.  

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

You should invest in a set of electric clippers.

My hair is thick and curly so it grows out like an afro. It was a sad and painful time in my life during the late 80's when feathered hair was all the rage and I'm walking around looking like Bob Ross. ;(

I have an electric clipper, but cutting my hair on sides, back and top with the same length looks like crap. I always let my hairstylist cut it to 3 centimeters on top, sides and back 5 millimeters, with a perfect fade.  Can't do that with a clipper, I only use it to shave on shortest setting. 

If I had curly hair I'd simply sport a completely shaved head I think. I had a shaved head in my military service time and it was so comfortable. 

• Like 1

Clippers generally come with 4-5 different snap-on grills of various lengths so you can cut your hair to different lengths, but no matter.

I remember my first military ID which sported a picture of my me with a shaved head from boot camp. I looked like a straight up criminal in a mug shot. :lol:

I really hate being hearing impaired right now.

My boss offered me a job position with responsibilities for overseeing the unloading part of the workplace, problem is that I'd have to communicate with a walkie-talkie to the people moving the trailers, and I am absolutely hopeless at hearing what is said through it. Even worse, there is no chance at all for me to understand what is said if there is an accent on the other end.

It would'nt have given me any extra money - but I'd be able to get some extra hours and increases the chance to get a full time employment.

Still; Did get praise from my boss, wich is nice.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Clippers generally come with 4-5 different snap-on grills of various lengths so you can cut your hair to different lengths, but no matter.

Yeah I know, but its impossible for me to create any kind of acceptable haircut with clippers and a couple of grills for different lengths, you need a good scissor and skills to make a good fade between the different hair lengths. And its impossible to cut your own hair to 3cm length without the help of someone else with a comb. I could probably pull off a charhead marines haircut but thats about it.

I really hate being hearing impaired right now.

My boss offered me a job position with responsibilities for overseeing the unloading part of the workplace, problem is that I'd have to communicate with a walkie-talkie to the people moving the trailers, and I am absolutely hopeless at hearing what is said through it. Even worse, there is no chance at all for me to understand what is said if there is an accent on the other end.

I have the exact same problem, but I'm afraid mine is even worse, I cannot communicate with people on the phone because I can't understand what they're saying. At all. I cannot understand like 80% of the women and more than half of the men on the phone. I can only understand those I talk with very frequently, voices I know, like friends and relatives.

Luckily I'm self employed and I'm going hardcore on e-mails and try to avoid phone calls as if my life was depending on it.

The strange thing is, I have exceptional good hearing according to the audio tests my doc made me do, and I can really hear the tiniest sounds.

Edited by Woldan

Sounds like an understanding impairment, not a hearing. Brain randomly isn't able to decipher sounds as well as it should: same problem I sometimes have. I also have pretty good hearing. :)

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Have a 4 day weekend. Anticipate having a list of chores assigned to me.

Probably should put out old pcs. Have an old C2D E6600 and an i52500k in my room taking up space.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got my hair cut today and had a lot of fun with my hairdresser, lots of laughs and flirting and she really did an outstanding job. The final result is much better if your hairdresser likes you.

And funnily she looked EXACTLY like Sansa Stark from GoT. Exactly as in being a perfect twin, even the hair was the same. On purpose I bet.

Screw clippers, my haircut is awesome and it was fun. So much better.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

Got my hair cut today and had a lot of fun with my hairdresser, lots of laughs and flirting and she really did an outstanding job. The final result is much better if your hairdresser likes you.

And funnily she looked EXACTLY like Sansa Stark from GoT. Exactly as in being a perfect twin, even the hair was the same. On purpose I bet.

Screw clippers, my haircut is awesome and it was fun. So much better.

This post is very insensitive to the follicaly challenged.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Screw clippers, my haircut is awesome and it was fun. So much better

Well they do like to get tips :lol:

Thomas Sowell

Yes. And some of them are lesbians. Also, all the male characters in the show die. All of them.[/i]

I always let my hairstylist cut it to 3 centimeters on top, sides and back 5 millimeters, with a perfect fade.

Also I just read this post by you and I realized how my view of you with your obsession with manly stuff (guns, muscles, lego) is now somewhat damaged because no manly man talks about how perfect their hair is.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Yes. And some of them are lesbians. Also, all the male characters in the show die. All of them.

If thats true they're not very subtle about their target audience, lol. Or maybe its all a misunderstanding and they're all supposed to be very tall Drow. Has the spider queen been mentioned?

Also I just read this post by you and I realized how my view of you with your obsession with manly stuff (guns, muscles, lego) is now somewhat damaged because no manly man talks about how perfect their hair is.

My eyes are already horribly bloodshot from constantly staring in a mirror and watching my super awesome quality hair. Truth be told, I do all the manly stuff simply to make up for the massive amount feminism in my hair obsession. Mmmh, my hair smells so sexy! Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I don't have a TV right now. I've been watching sports and TWD on my laptop or just listening on the XM radio. It's getting old though. I think today I'm going to buy a TV.

Thomas Sowell

I'm flooded in and have no alcohol.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands