What you did today

Blarghagh

If you don't have your feet pointing slightly outwards your knees tend to tilt towards each other (you have legs like an X) which creates a lot of wear and tear at the joints and especially ligaments. I do deadlifts in the 220-250kg area so I do need to know a lot about how to pick up heavy stuff without grinding my joints to dust or ruining my back. You might not be lifting objects as heavy as that, but if you lift parcels several dozen times a day it totally adds up.

If you eventually get your ''how to lift properly''-briefing post it, I'm interested in what they're suggesting.

I can imagine the risks are high especially with those weights, the footworks should'nt be much of a problem for me though that I should pick up pretty quickly. More worried about what you said about looking downwards. The biggest danger is the small and massive packages, they will catch you with your pants down. Slightly bigger than 5 DVD cases stacked together and weighs 20kgs seemingly. tongue.png

Sure thing, I'll do that. The only thing they've said so far is "Use the vaculex". Problem is it makes an awful racket and it's slow. When you're also told you're expected to move 600 packages an hour you don't have the time for it.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Sure thing, I'll do that. The only thing they've said so far is "Use the vaculex". Problem is it makes an awful racket and it's slow. When you're also told you're expected to move 600 packages an hour you don't have the time for it.

Thats actually a pretty cool device. Can you use it on bald people and lift them around?   :w00t:

Ok, then just focus on the most important things, keep back straight and brace your core. The latter is really important and makes all the difference, you inhale, hold your breath, push your belly out and flex it really hard. Then you keep it like that while you lift, it makes the mid section of your body like a solid pillar and protects your back and spine from bending or excessive stress.

Belly (abs & obliques) is very important for the back. Thats the reason why weight lifters use lifting belts, they're basically a surface for the belly to push against so there is more pressure and mid section becomes even more stable thus more weight can be lifted.  (Thats also the reason why serious natural weight lifters have slightly protruding bellies, its not fat but all protruding abs from core bracing - but don't worry, that only happens from lifts in the several hundred kilos area.)

Try it out, it makes a HUGE difference. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Thats actually a pretty cool device. Can you use it on bald people and lift them around?   w00t.gif

tobey-maguire-funny-face.jpg       Roooosbjerg?!

Ok, then just focus on the most important things, keep back straight and brace your core. The latter is really important and makes all the difference, you inhale, hold your breath, push your belly out and flex it really hard. Then you keep it like that while you lift, it makes the mid section of your body like a solid pillar and protects your back and spine from bending or excessive stress.

Belly (abs & obliques) is very important for the back. Thats the reason why weight lifters use lifting belts, they're basically a surface for the belly to push against so there is more pressure and mid section becomes even more stable thus more weight can be lifted.  (Thats also the reason why serious natural weight lifters have slightly protruding bellies, its not fat but all protruding abs from core bracing - but don't worry, that only happens from lifts in the several hundred kilos area.)

Try it out, it makes a HUGE difference.

Thanks! I'll take that to heart and start practicing it. :)

I'd rather have some sore muscles than **** up my back again, once was painful enough.

Hehe, I'll be honest, I did think those lifters were a bit pudgy when I saw that :blush:

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'll be honest, I did think those lifters were a bit pudgy when I saw that blush10.gif

Many do have a some excessive weight on their bellies as well (some a lot because they say it lowers their center of gravity which helps with certain lifts) , but it also happens to those with low body fat. I can see my abs but my core has gotten a little barrel-like. 

Not to mix up with roid bellies though, thats just disgusting. Competing lifters and bodybuilders often have a massive gut because they're taking growth hormones which also make their bowels grow (and other internal organs like the heart), which increases belly size and abdominal pressure to the point their belly button ruptures.  :x Most body builders had to undergo several belly button surgeries. 

Don't do drugs, kids. 

Roid gut exhibit A. 

anjkbifeuguoccnzgafp.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Not to mix up with roid bellies though, thats just disgusting. Competing lifters and bodybuilders often have a massive gut because they're taking growth hormones which also make their bowels grow (and other internal organs like the heart), which increases belly size and abdominal pressure to the point their belly button ruptures.  sick.gif Most body builders had to undergo several belly button surgeries. 

Don't do drugs, kids. 

Roid gut exhibit A. 

anjkbifeuguoccnzgafp.jpg

"Palumboism", as that condition is commonly known (in reference to Dave Palumbo, a notorious case), is an affliction whose causes aren't fully understood. It's likely that it has something to do with substance abuse, not just anabolic steroids, but also IGF-1, HGH and insulin, as none of the "Golden Age" guys displayed it, but there must be other factors at work, because it's not consistent and it only affects some bodybuilders. Note that not only the midsection is deformed — the lats, pecs and arms are also lacking the size you'd expect a pro bb'er of the mass monster era, and especially compared to earlier pics of the same guy. Moreover his skin isn't looking particularly healthy and accelerated aging seems to be an additional concern.

Fun times.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

separation o' church and state doesn't mean what the simple language would seem to indicate, and it ain't the language o' the constitution regardless. hugo black's invoking o' jefferson to erect a wall o' separation were judicial sleight o' hand and has lead to many a confused citizen and student.  pull out US currency money and see "in god we trust" on every coin. look at the Supreme Court building itself and observe Moses looking down 'pon you. try and explain the seeming hypocrisy o' separation when so many politicians invoke God and faith as they condemn democrats/republicans/gays/st. louis cardinal fans... whatever.

*shrug*

the most annoying aspect o' explaining Constitution to lay folks is getting 'em to realize that simple grasp o' English won't help 'em.  there ain't never been no genuine wall o' separation that is implied by the language used.  

Gromnir has actual been invited to speak to high school students on more than one occasion regarding first amendment.  is fascinating just how many misconceptions students got regarding seeming simple language: 

"congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

typical high school teacher, even if she actual understands first amendment, doesn't have the time to do more than kinda highlight... which understandably leads to greater confusion.

there is a few important cases that is particular noteworthy for establishment and free exercise. lemon, prince, sherbert, oregon v. smith. go more recent to give example might use arizona christian school tuition organization v. winn

another good place to start is with the first amendment itself.  what did the Founding Fathers intend?  is not an original intentionist argument we posit, 'cause in large part we got no idea what were specific discussed by the authors o' the first amendment.  however, we do have the various drafts o' the first amendment that were proposed and rejected before settling on the final language.  is intriguing to see how the first amendment were cobbled together by looking at the drafts.

regardless, separation don't mean what most students believe it to mean... and based on our limited experience, it definite don't mean what most social studies/history teachers is teaching.

HA! Good Fun!

Great, now I want some sherbet.
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

the establishment and free exercise clauses o' the First Amendment do indeed have the most tasty sounding tests: lemon and sherbert.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's a BEAUTIFUL day today. I was going to waste it watching football but nuts to that. I'm taking the dogs, walking down to the river and going fishing!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's a BEAUTIFUL day today. I was going to waste it watching football but nuts to that. I'm taking the dogs, walking down to the river and going fishing!

In my experience dogs make for awful bait unless you're planning on fishing alligators.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

:lol:  Yeah they splash around too much. Scares the fish!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

At least you won.

• Like 1

At least you won.

Funny how that works. I don't watch and they win.

Thomas Sowell

At least you won.

Funny how that works. I don't watch and they win.
Please watch the other Saints game.
  • Like 1

Completed my 1970's LEGO Can-Am race car.  Its my own design, approx 900 parts. Took approx 20 hours to design it and 4 hours to actually build it - but now its finished!

can-am5_zpsj0pkm2ap.jpg

can-am3_zpsnjpjifdq.jpg

can-am8_zpsq0ugg88u.jpg

can-am2_zpsuhxfnnxg.jpg

• Like 6

Suffered crippling depression. Ate a donut.

Usually those go in reverse order for me.

:lol:

Thomas Sowell

Leaving for work in a few. Going up to Dyersburg today for a meeting on the reinforcement of the cantilever arms of the Caruthersville Bridge. It has almost nothing to do with us except that the bridge happens to cross the river so we have to be involved. Plus it's a nice drive and it gets me out of the office.

Thomas Sowell

Ugh, dog got sprayed by a skunk.  My son woke me up around 3 AM because he heard something.  I helped him get back to sleep, then I let the dog out to go to the bathroom.  I was clearly tired, because I should have put it together that there was probably a skunk outside.  When I went to let him back in, he blew by me and it was clear he got hit full bore.  We spent about an hour cleaning him and the front room he had walked through.   -_-

• Like 5

I've been going through a bad time personally lately. I'm sitting here looking at maps of the US wishing I could just jump in the truck with the dogs and go. Not a good time though. But I think I am going to buy a camper for the back of my pick up truck. 

Thomas Sowell

I've been going through a bad time personally lately. I'm sitting here looking at maps of the US wishing I could just jump in the truck with the dogs and go. Not a good time though. But I think I am going to buy a camper for the back of my pick up truck. 

Issues with Steph or just personal stuff?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's a long story. Check your PM

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell