What you did today

Blarghagh

A bad day, a bad week, a bad month. Tonight I am going to open a bottle of 11 year old Knob Creek single barrel bourbon and I'm taking it, a single lowball glass and a couple of steel ice cubes and I'm going to sit on my porch and count the stars, listen to the owls and howl back at the coyotes the way I used to and haven't done in a very long time.

Too long.

G'night all.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So essentially what you want is diversity?  A challenge?  Have you considered trying to find some kickstarter (or similar indie venture) to volunteer with?

I'm always on the lookout for interesting projects like that but most teams never actually deliver anything and that's soured me on mods and indie projects a little.

Let me ask you about those steel ice cubes. How long will they hold temperature?

They're ok. If you are sipping they are good for two drinks. But the nice thing about them is they don't melt and dilute the drink. You can even put them in a mug of beer, I'd NEVER put ice in beer. But you want to get the ones with the gel center. They definitely stay cold longer. The first set I bought were solid steel and they didn't get as cold or last as long. I tossed them in the trash when I got the gel center ones.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've lost my wedding ring!  >_<

Egads!

I hope it isn't an expensive one.  Mine is $100, but I'd lose it if my wife lost hers.

Good news! I found it in a trouser pocket earlier today. Unfortunately, I fessed up to my wife last night.

Edited by Tel Aviv
  • Like 3

I've lost my wedding ring!  >_<

Egads!

I hope it isn't an expensive one.  Mine is $100, but I'd lose it if my wife lost hers.

Good news! I found it in a trouser pocket earlier today. Unfortunately, I fessed up to my wife last night.

The trouser pocket of your secret lover I guess? 

• Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I spent a bit of time trying to find a decent student friendly recap of the whole Kim Davis situation to go along with my lesson on Islam, separation of church and state, etc.  It didn't go well.  Our news options suck.

separation o' church and state doesn't mean what the simple language would seem to indicate, and it ain't the language o' the constitution regardless. hugo black's invoking o' jefferson to erect a wall o' separation were judicial sleight o' hand and has lead to many a confused citizen and student.  pull out US currency money and see "in god we trust" on every coin. look at the Supreme Court building itself and observe Moses looking down 'pon you. try and explain the seeming hypocrisy o' separation when so many politicians invoke God and faith as they condemn democrats/republicans/gays/st. louis cardinal fans... whatever.

*shrug*

the most annoying aspect o' explaining Constitution to lay folks is getting 'em to realize that simple grasp o' English won't help 'em.  there ain't never been no genuine wall o' separation that is implied by the language used.  

Gromnir has actual been invited to speak to high school students on more than one occasion regarding first amendment.  is fascinating just how many misconceptions students got regarding seeming simple language: 

"congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

typical high school teacher, even if she actual understands first amendment, doesn't have the time to do more than kinda highlight... which understandably leads to greater confusion.

there is a few important cases that is particular noteworthy for establishment and free exercise. lemon, prince, sherbert, oregon v. smith. go more recent to give example might use arizona christian school tuition organization v. winn

another good place to start is with the first amendment itself.  what did the Founding Fathers intend?  is not an original intentionist argument we posit, 'cause in large part we got no idea what were specific discussed by the authors o' the first amendment.  however, we do have the various drafts o' the first amendment that were proposed and rejected before settling on the final language.  is intriguing to see how the first amendment were cobbled together by looking at the drafts.

regardless, separation don't mean what most students believe it to mean... and based on our limited experience, it definite don't mean what most social studies/history teachers is teaching.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gromnir has actual been invited to speak to high school students on more than one occasion regarding first amendment.

Careful-- Hurlshot might think you're volunteering!  (The two of you are both in NorCal, right?)

• Like 5

Gromnir has actual been invited to speak to high school students on more than one occasion regarding first amendment.

Careful-- Hurlshot might think you're volunteering!  (The two of you are both in NorCal, right?)

Thats a very good idea, Gromnir you  do have a wealth of knowledge shaped by interesting life experiences..I can only imagine how much Hurlshots pupils would benefit from you giving a speech?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I would make a pledge to crowdfund this event. 

• Like 4

All Stop. On Screen.

middle school kids is a tough crowd.  

*shrug*

manifested's crowdfunding would need include lunch at yank sing.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Careful-- Hurlshot might think you're volunteering! (The two of you are both in NorCal, right?)

middle school kids is a tough crowd.

*shrug*

manifested's crowdfunding would need include lunch at yank sing.

HA! Good Fun!

1) Can you imagine Gromnir staying in character while giving a high level lecture on Constitutional Law to middle schoolers?

2) I had a dim sum brunch at Yank Sing not too long ago. Glad I wasn't paying!

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I would make a pledge to crowdfund this event. 

I'm in for $20

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I'd back him, but I doubt my administration would go for it.  :p

The focus of the lesson revolved around a couple documents from the 9th and 10th century that we were analyzing the role of imams in legal matters.  I was comparing it to the Constitution of Clarendon, and then trying to make it relevant with some of our legal issues of today.  But Gromnir is right, we barely get to scratch the surface on this, and honestly very few 7th graders have the critical thinking skills to understand the issues in depth.  But it's a start.  :)

I spent a bit of time trying to find a decent student friendly recap of the whole Kim Davis situation to go along with my lesson on Islam, separation of church and state, etc.  It didn't go well.  Our news options suck.

I don't think the Kim Davis thing really ties into a 1st Amendment thing. She tried to make it that but in reality all that happened is a public official refused to obey the law. I don't think that is deserving to be made into something bigger. A more appropriate choice might be the removal of the 10 commandments monument in Oklahoma.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I don't think the Kim Davis thing really ties into a 1st Amendment thing. She tried to make it that but in reality all that happened is a public official refused to obey the law. I don't think that is deserving to be made into something bigger. A more appropriate choice might be the removal of the 10 commandments monument in Oklahoma.

funny thing 'bout the okies is that the brouhaha were centered 'round the Oklahoma Constitution and not the first amendment to the US Constitution.  is very few news services that added that detail to their coverage. oklahoma constitution is much more specific 'bout public displays.

HA! Good Fun!

ps  

van orden v. perry

v.

mccreary v. aclu

is two ten commandment display cases from 2005... same day in point o' fact.  Court ok'd one display in texas, but nixed kentucky.  try and get middle schoolers to understand why the Court ok'd one and not the other might be difficult, particularly as we weren't dealing with unanimous Court decisions and the dissents were actual (as is often the case) more eloquent than the majority opines.

pps

texas display

2453.jpg

oklahoma display

COM-ACLUTenCommandments-Photo1.jpg

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

Nine hours until Nathan Drake. If I crash out now, it'll feel like nine minutes, thanks to sleep magic. Speaking of magic, I would really be excited if, when I reach for the remote and it's too far away, it jumps into my hand like a lightsaber.

All Stop. On Screen.

Got back from Snowdonia.

I survived the Welsh weather and valleys, and made the trek up to the top of Snowdon.

Now I have sorted the gear out, thrown stuff in for the wash, packed other things away and sat down for a cup of tea and sea how many emails and weird stuff has piled up while I've been signal free.

Although at some point, I do see a hot, relaxing bath calling me.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Finished my first week at the new job, I feel surprisingly fine considering my overall fitness. Alot of soreness ofcourse.

Had my first nasty shock when I was going to lift a big package marked "0.0 KG" (Happens alot, surprising amount of airy things being shipped around) that turned out to contain 60kg's of weights... I actually managed to lift it! :p

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Had my first nasty shock when I was going to lift a big package marked "0.0 KG" (Happens alot, surprising amount of airy things being shipped around) that turned out to contain 60kg's of weights... I actually managed to lift it! :p

Hey anything below body weight is not even worth mentioning!  ;)

Good to hear your job is not sucking the life out of you, and it actually sounds like its beneficial to your health so thumbs up!

And never forget, when picking up heavy stuff from the floor brace your core (abs and obliques out and flexed), keep your back straight all the time, feet slightly pointed out and look slightly up, never look at the floor or at the object you are picking up. (looking down will make you round your back) 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I don't think they can slip a 120kg parcel by us, 60kg is already pushing it we're not supposed to handle more than 35kg's :p

So am I! Granted, we have'nt had a really tumultuous day yet, but the pace is high and there is alot of lifting and pushing involved. My head is taking the hardest blows in there, all the machinery is creating this relatively high ambient noise level that does give you one hell of a headache.

We are supposed to get a lecture in how to lift correctly, but somehow we still have'nt gotten to that yet. They did manage to produce the contract today after asking about it all week :p

Did not know about the positioning of your feet or looking at the object being lifted though, I'll try and keep that in mind. Going to be extremely difficult to not look at the object though, I have to keep my eyes on it or I'll hit the sides of the cages.

Edit; I have to admit to feeling like a **** alot of the time though, there are alot of immigrants at my workplace and I can't understand more than 25% of the words they say. ****ing hearing impairment. :/

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Did not know about the positioning of your feet or looking at the object being lifted though, I'll try and keep that in mind. Going to be extremely difficult to not look at the object though, I have to keep my eyes on it or I'll hit the sides of the cages.

If you don't have your feet pointing slightly outwards your knees tend to tilt towards each other (you have legs like an X) which creates a lot of wear and tear at the joints and especially ligaments. I do deadlifts in the 220-250kg area so I do need to know a lot about how to pick up heavy stuff without grinding my joints to dust or ruining my back. You might not be lifting objects as heavy as that, but if you lift parcels several dozen times a day it totally adds up.  

If you eventually get your ''how to lift properly''-briefing post it, I'm interested in what they're suggesting. 

Edited by Woldan