What you did today

Blarghagh

Sigh.

I've been thinking a lot lately about changing careers. I'm tired of scraping by with freelance game animation jobs and having to supplement it with community management stuff (and somehow I don't mind volunteering here) and it's destroying my love for both animation and video games. But there's not much I have very much interest in other than graphic design stuff. I enjoy writing, but there's no real future in that unless you get lucky. And I'm interested in psychology, but I'd have to get another full education for that and I'm still in the goddamn school system to finally finish my multimedia bachelor. So I've been doing things like aptitude tests and personality tests to see if I can find something else. But pretty much every single one gives me the following aptitudes:

1. Graphic Designer

2. Psychologist/Therapist

3. Writer/Editor

:facepalm:

I always hate it when I feel like posting something in a topic, but the latest post is about something actually kinda important/worthwhile, and my post is pretty much just useless garbage.

With that in mind, I got a V8 strawberry banana drink today for the first time in forever, and failed to notice that I was getting a V8 "Splash" instead of a V8 "Fusion". I did notice that it did look a bit different than the last time I had one, but I just figured...the last time I had one was ages ago, I'm probably misremembering, and/or they changed the design up (...along with the actual color of the juice, too? ...). There was a great mixture of surprise, shock, and disgust when I actually tried to drink it. Never again, V8. What absolutely wretched stuff.

Yeah, finding what you want to do/can do for a living can be tough. Hope you find a path that suits you, TrueNeutral. :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Sigh.

I've been thinking a lot lately about changing careers. I'm tired of scraping by with freelance game animation jobs and having to supplement it with community management stuff (and somehow I don't mind volunteering here) and it's destroying my love for both animation and video games. But there's not much I have very much interest in other than graphic design stuff. I enjoy writing, but there's no real future in that unless you get lucky. And I'm interested in psychology, but I'd have to get another full education for that and I'm still in the goddamn school system to finally finish my multimedia bachelor. So I've been doing things like aptitude tests and personality tests to see if I can find something else. But pretty much every single one gives me the following aptitudes:

1. Graphic Designer

2. Psychologist/Therapist

3. Writer/Editor

facepalmri6.gif

Instead of finding a different career, maybe try to work on a personal project that might renew your interest in the graphic arts or video games? I know of a couple of different commercial artists, for example, who created side comic strips as a way to remain connected to the things they love about art that they weren't getting in advertising or marketing.

Bartimaeus - V8 :yucky:

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hey, I think V8 Fusion tastes O.K...way, way too much sugar, but that's what you get for crappy juice that you can get at a supermarket that people actually buy enough that it stays in stock (...and that, for some reason, nonetheless advertises itself as being "healthy" for some goshforsaken reason). V8 Splash is virtually inedible, though. Eugh.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I tried original V8 (I've probably tried the others but don't recall) and I love tomatoes.  Tomato soup, raw tomatoes, etc.  But somehow when they mix it up with real vegetables (tomato being a fruit and all) and I don't know, it just never really works for me.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Got a treadmill. Is a pleasant change from playing Diablo 3....wait a minute.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, I despise tomatoes, and would never drink or eat anything tomato-flavored or anything with tomatoes* in it, so I can't really comment. :p

I like V8 Fusion  ;(

I like it, too, but I mean, c'mon, it's a supermarket fruit juice...you get what you pay for. :p

*Except salsa where it is not the primary ingredient - unlike most supermarket "salsas" - and only specific, weaker-flavored (IMO) tomatoes: too strong or too much of tomatoes and you ruin the salsa for me. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

I've never had V8, I don't think they carry it here. Is it like an energy drink made with tomatoes or something?

You may consider completely flipping the script. What are the bottom 3 aptitudes those tests gave you?

Insurance Sales Agent, Pharmacist and Lawyer. Things that do, indeed, not appeal to me in the slightest.

Instead of finding a different career, maybe try to work on a personal project that might renew your interest in the graphic arts or video games? I know of a couple of different commercial artists, for example, who created side comic strips as a way to remain connected to the things they love about art that they weren't getting in advertising or marketing.

Hasn't worked for me personally, though it is sound advice. I keep starting side-projects for this purpose, but once I've kinda designed the ideas and what the product will be and such I run out of interest. I have a hard time doing it on anything other than whim nowadays.

It's just a supermarket fruit and/or vegetable juice (depending on what kind you get). Pedestrian, really, and nothing more to it. :p

(edit): There appear to be at least two kinds, though...Fusion, where it's actually made with 100% juice (so it says, anyways), and Splash, which tastes like pure sugar, this-doesn't-even-taste-like-the-flavor-on-the-label garbage and is only made with 5% *shrug*

Edited by Bartimaeus

Well, I despise tomatoes, and would never drink or eat anything tomato-flavored or anything with tomatoes* in it, so I can't really comment. :p

I like V8 Fusion  ;(

I like it, too, but I mean, c'mon, it's a supermarket fruit juice...you get what you pay for. :p

*Except salsa where it is not the primary ingredient - unlike most supermarket "salsas" - and only specific, weaker-flavored (IMO) tomatoes: too strong or too much of tomatoes and you ruin the salsa for me. :p

Blah.  I put tomatoes AND ketchup on hamburgers.  You can't be too careful with your tomato taste.

I've never had V8, I don't think they carry it here. Is it like an energy drink made with tomatoes or something?

You may consider completely flipping the script. What are the bottom 3 aptitudes those tests gave you?

Insurance Sales Agent, Pharmacist and Lawyer. Things that do, indeed, not appeal to me in the slightest.

Hasn't worked for me personally, though it is sound advice. I keep starting side-projects for this purpose, but once I've kinda designed the ideas and what the product will be and such I run out of interest. I have a hard time doing it on anything other than whim nowadays.

So what exactly did you want to do with graphic arts/games that you aren't getting in your job?

Well, I despise tomatoes, and would never drink or eat anything tomato-flavored or anything with tomatoes* in it, so I can't really comment. tongue.png

*Except salsa where it is not the primary ingredient - unlike most supermarket "salsas" - and only specific, weaker-flavored (IMO) tomatoes: too strong or too much of tomatoes and you ruin the salsa for me. tongue.png

So you don't eat pizza or spaghetti? :wacko:

Maybe you would like pharmacy. :fdevil:

• Like 1

Blah.  I put tomatoes AND ketchup on hamburgers.  You can't be too careful with your tomato taste.

I was actually recently told I barely even count as being human for not liking any sort of "normal" condiment on anything. Not ketchup, mustard, barbeque sauce, sriracha, any sort of "hot sauce", horse radish, soy sauce, tartar sauce, relish...nothing. You could cook soy sauce into something and I might like it, but nothing else out of those. :p

That is correct. Or rather, I can eat pizza and spaghetti...but it has to be sans any kind of sauce with anything even vaguely tomato-ey in it. Personally, I like pizza without any sort of sauce, while I'm perfectly amicable to spaghetti cooked in other sorts of sauces, such as garlic and olive oil and other things. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus

So what exactly did you want to do with graphic arts/games that you aren't getting in your job?

At this point, I don't even know anymore. I always enjoy seeing a finished product, but the process of getting there... when I was learning new things, it was super interesting. Now that I know how everything works and can do it, it's just become a slog. I think I enjoyed learning about how to make a game more than I actually enjoy making a game. And that made me think I was really into game development.

EDIT: I give up on the quoting system.

Edited by TrueNeutral

cdf55f48f4.png

It's so much easier in BBCode Mode. original.gif But as always, for SOME INEXPLICABLE and LIKELY BONEHEADED REASON, all of the other buttons get disabled when you are. No other forum I've ever been on has ever done that, so I don't know why these do, but it is supremely annoying and infuriating and I wish it would be fixed.

(edit): In fact, why in the world is the default non-BBCode Mode a thing to begin with at all? We have the post preview button for a reason... Ack, everything about it drives me insane. no.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

Yeah, but then imagine it is work. I don't know, maybe I just live in the wrong area. Only companies around here make awful mobile games so that's what I end up working on most of the time. There's only so many low poly military dude walk cycles you can make before it stops being interesting.

That is correct. Or rather, I can eat pizza and spaghetti...but it has to be sans any kind of sauce with anything even vaguely tomato-ey in it. Personally, I like pizza without any sort of sauce, while I'm perfectly amicable to spaghetti cooked in other sorts of sauces, such as garlic and olive oil and other things. :)

Going for the pre-Neopolitan pizza.  I can dig it.

I won't be joining you there, but I can dig it.

At this point, I don't even know anymore. I always enjoy seeing a finished product, but the process of getting there... when I was learning new things, it was super interesting. Now that I know how everything works and can do it, it's just become a slog. I think I enjoyed learning about how to make a game more than I actually enjoy making a game. And that made me think I was really into game development.

So essentially what you want is diversity?  A challenge?  Have you considered trying to find some kickstarter (or similar indie venture) to volunteer with?