Road to the White House 2016

Blarghagh

"Offending people" is completely subjective and serves no purpose outside of those who wish to control what offensive means to them. Basically, it is the tool of the tyrant that controls speech and manufactures context.

Uh, you can a bit of decorum without being a tyrant.

...which isn't my point either. Being "offended" is a smokescreen for controlling speech no matter how you spin it.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Offending people" is completely subjective and serves no purpose outside of those who wish to control what offensive means to them. Basically, it is the tool of the tyrant that controls speech and manufactures context.

...which isn't my point either. Being "offended" is a smokescreen for controlling speech no matter how you spin it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNbWGaaxWM Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

No  its not that people don't understand, its your premise that is questionable

You basically making excuses or trying to justify offensive\rude\crude\derogatory comments 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You basically making excuses or trying to justify offensive\rude\crude\derogatory comments 

I am offended by your snide comments. Mods, shut him up.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, you know, if you have real discussion there is always one side ''offended''. If not, what is point of discussion in first place?

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The problem Bruce is that what are offensive/rude/derogatory comments vary from individual-to-individual.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

See there is a huge difference between your two sentences.  You make it sound like they are inextricably tied together.  You can be offended by something, you can point it out and explain what is wrong with that something, etc.  That is not censorship.  It isn't even close to censorship.

I mean, what is your plan here?  Do you want to censor anyone who ever gets offended by stuff in order to keep society from being politically correct?

Overzealously committing yourself to offensiveness is no better than overzealous political correctness.

Well, you know, if you have real discussion there is always one side ''offended''. If not, what is point of discussion in first place?

Being able to pontificate to others or just wank via text ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

See there is a huge difference between your two sentences.  You make it sound like they are inextricably tied together.  You can be offended by something, you can point it out and explain what is wrong with that something, etc.  That is not censorship.  It isn't even close to censorship.

I mean, what is your plan here?  Do you want to censor anyone who ever gets offended by stuff in order to keep society from being politically correct?

Overzealously committing yourself to offensiveness is no better than overzealous political correctness.

I am offended by your toxic language and your inconsideration for trauma against dyslectic people. Your post has been reported.

See what i am doing here? This whole page has denegerated into trivial "muh feelings!"-BS because people are focused on offensive language and what it should be. All while the important questions of substance are gone in the wind.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I received my voting card in the mail a few weeks ago. I didnt even know that I had registered! Now if I ever manage to overcome my inertia then Im voting for Trump just to piss the world off. I completely understand that he is woefully underqualified for the job but the hilarity would be worth it. :yes:

See what i am doing here? This whole page has denegerated into trivial "muh feelings!"-BS because people are focused on offensive language and what it should be. All while the important questions of substance are gone in the wind.

I assume we are talking about Trump.  If his offensive remarks are taking away from his actual substance and platforms, that is completely on him.  Although oddly, it seems to be helping him in the primary.  Hard to say how that would translate in a general election, you would think offending large swathes of the country would be a bad strategy.

Way to dodge my question btw.  

edit:  Just to rephrase it, what is your 'suggestion' for people that are offended by what Trump has said?

Edited by Hurlshot

I assume we are talking about Trump.  If his offensive remarks are taking away from his actual substance and platforms, that is completely on him.  Although oddly, it seems to be helping him in the primary.  Hard to say how that would translate in a general election, you would think offending large swathes of the country would be a bad strategy.

Yes and no. I think it'd be a bad strategy in the general election, but in the primary you have to say this sort of thing to get your electorate. I mean this is the same party that had (on national tv and during a debate in 2008) one of their members yell "Let them die" when a question was posed about medical care for an illegal immigrant. Trump is appealing to that Tea Party core of the party, and comes across as genuine because of the fact he doesn't hold back.

Its why he's so far ahead in the polls and Clinton's Black Lives Matter encounter goes over far better than Sanders. Sanders got walked all over in the name of politics, while Clinton basically said "Shut the hell up and do something" when the protesters tried to confront her.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

edit:  Just to rephrase it, what is your 'suggestion' for people that are offended by what Trump has said?

Prove he is wrong

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I can't believe this, i have already demonstrated that "being offended" is completely meaningless and any form of trying to control it is a slippery slope to tyranny. What is it that is so difficult to understand? My suggestion for those being offended? cry my a river and then some.

Instead whining about it being offensive that the guy wishes to deport all mexicans, argue logically and rationally why they are essential to society, how USA benefits by them, why it is morally wrong to throw them out and build a wall. It's not that hard.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I find that in practice political correctness is essentially a method of dancing around the point instead of addressing it. I've come to believe that it's designed this way as attacking someone's tone or word choice is easier than addressing the points raised.

At any rate: http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/sanders-trump-surge-new-iowa-poll-n418471

Feel the Bern!

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Instead whining about it being offensive that the guy wishes to deport all mexicans, argue logically and rationally why they are essential to society, how USA benefits by them, why it is morally wrong to throw them out and build a wall. It's not that hard.

Are you under the impression that has not already been done?

I just don't get why you are so worked up over this.  How is what you are doing any different than someone yelling "That's offensive!"?

You are fighting fire with fire.  Just replace "That's offensive!" with "Stop whining!" 

Are you under the impression that has not already been done?

I just don't get why you are so worked up over this.  How is what you are doing any different than someone yelling "That's offensive!"?

You are fighting fire with fire.  Just replace "That's offensive!" with "Stop whining!" 

Absolutely not. Crying something being offensive implies demand for apology, which in turn puts the power of expression to the one being offended. Telling people to sod off is the only appropriate response if you want freedom to reign.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Absolutely not. Crying something being offensive implies demand for apology, which in turn puts the power of expression to the one being offended. Telling people to sod off is the only appropriate response if you want freedom to reign.

Sod off.  That is ridiculous.

Sod off.  That is ridiculous.

See? Wasn't that difficult, now was it? 

I still cross fingers for a Sanders vs. Trump-finale, politics would then finally be interesting again.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Just to rephrase it, what is your 'suggestion' for people that are offended by what Trump has said?

Hm, waste of time to bring it up to Trump and his backers as that's a wall but might be effective to spend that on other people watching - so campaign for his opponents or just campaign against him so to speak.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Kanye needs P. Diddy as his running mate. Or atleast as his campaign manager.

Warning: Explicit language

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I think Kanye would crazy enough to nuke Israel.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy