Translation Errors / Missing Translations - German

Xaratas

Question

Edit 2: Weil nahezu alle 50+ Seiten hier komplett in Deutsch sind. Der Nexus Mod ist momentan in Version 1.1.0 für PoE mit Patch 3.07.1318 online,

Grobe Statistik zum Umfang der Texte:

7.000.000 Zeichen
1.000.000 Wörter
130.000 Zeilen

sowie unzählige kleine, mittlere, große und gravierende Verbesserungen gegenüber der mitgelieferten Übersetzung.

Weitere Verbesserungen könnt ihr hier, im nexus forum oder bei github (https://github.com/Xaratas/pillarsofeternity-german-patch-with-expansions) melden.

EDIT: There is also a German translation fix mod available on the Nexus.

As seen in "missing strings - masterlist" for the backer, the same thing for the final Version. Maybe a mod pins it.

Colors: Red remove, Green add

Item description:
Stilett, last sentence. Remove "mit".

Stilette sind sicherlich keine mächtige Waffen, aber mit leicht gepanzerte Gegner können mit ihnen schnell zur Strecke gebracht werden.

Item description:

Kettenrüstung (Chain armor): Line Itemtyp: Mittelere Rüstung

last description sentence contains ",." -> remove .

Button text: "Enchant" -> Verzaubern

Window "Handwerk": Box "Amount" -> Menge

Edited by Xaratas

Using gpg.com Version 1.0.2.0508:

/PillarsOfEternity_Data/data/localized/de/text/game/items.stringtable

Red is the current "translation" (copy&paste error?^^), green the suggested correct translation (I checked how other quality versions of those weapons were translated to keep it consistent)

<Entry>
<ID>10</ID>
<DefaultText>Gewandtheit +2 Streitaxt</DefaultText>
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>11</ID>
<DefaultText>Gewandtheit +3 Zweihänder</DefaultText>
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>12</ID>
<DefaultText>Intellekt +1 Kriegsbeil</DefaultText>
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>13</ID>
<DefaultText>Intellekt +2 Jagdbogen</DefaultText>
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>14</ID>
<DefaultText>Intellekt +3 Einfacher Speer</DefaultText> //assuming "Light Spear" is a "simple spear", and not something like a lightsaber 
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>15</ID>
<DefaultText>Streitkolben</DefaultText>
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>17</ID>
<DefaultText>Verfassung +1 Morgenstern</DefaultText>
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>18</ID>
<DefaultText>Entschlossenheit +1 Pike</DefaultText>
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>19</ID>
<DefaultText>Entschlossenheit +2 Pistole</DefaultText>
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>20</ID>
<DefaultText>Entschlossenheit +3 Kampfstab</DefaultText>
<FemaleText/>
</Entry>
  • Like 1

@Durlachion gute Idee, nur hat das Forum scheinbar deine Farben gefressen :(

-.- File upload does not work "Error No file was selected for upload" not in basic and not in advanced uploader.

So here is the patch file: https://xaratas.privatepaste.com/download/ef1db664e1

It does not fix all of them but at least the first shop should have Weapons instead of Zuversicht or Mut.

Usage on Linux:

Download the file

go to the folder with the translation: [installpath]/PillarsOfEternity_Data/data/localized/de/text/game

then use: patch -i [downloaded filename]

• Like 2

@Xaratas: Yeah - I am new to the forum. Need to get used to it...

I started a translation as well, but didn't know you already prepared something. Otherwise I could have taken your translation as start, sorry... Oh well:

Here is another one: http://ge.tt/3b3cG6D2/v/0
Notable changes:

- All "[stats+x]" items translated

- "Einfach/Mittel/Schwer Rüstung" => "Einfache/Mittlere/Schwere Rüstung" (similar for shields)

- Damage types unified to

- Slash => Hieb

- Pierce => Stich

- Crushing => Wucht

- Burn => Verbrennung *

- Freeze => Frost

- Corrosion => Zersetzung *

- Shock => Schock

- Raw => Reiner (Schaden) **

* I am not too happy about the translation for Burn, Corrosion and especially Raw damage (see below). Problem with "Verbrennung" and "Zersetzung" is, that it now shows "Verbrennungschaden" (note the missing 's') in the combat log and item description. If I add the 's', there are other places where it should only read "Verbrennung: 5", but suddenly becomes "Verbrennungs: 5", which I consider to be even uglier. Same problem with Zersetzung.

Possible fix: Rename them to 'ye good ol types: Feuer (fire) / Eis (ice) / Blitz (lightning) and Säure (acid). But corrosion is not necessarily caused by acid and I guess there is a reason why the English version calls it "Burn" instead of "Fire"... *sigh*

You see my problem - I am open for suggestions. (Or we just wait for Obsidians translators xD)

** "Raw damage" was sometimes translated as "Reiner Schaden" (pure damage), sometimes translated as "Wundschaden" (umm... sore damage?). It's caused by insects, mental abilities and poisons afaik... hmm.. maybe just call it "Sonstiger Schaden"... again: Help!

• Like 1

For Burn i could go with "Brand", that would eleminate the s Problem and should be comprehendable on stat descriptions.

Raw = wund comes from the adjective meanings (https://dict.leo.org/dictQuery/m-vocab/ende/de.html?searchLoc=0&lp=ende&lang=de&directN=0&rmWords=off&search=raw&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on). How about "direkter Schaden" as in "nicht beeinflusst durch irgendwas"?

I will update and merge my patch with yours later today.

• Like 2

Awesome to see that you guys are trying it fix it on your own. These translation issues are the only major complain I have about the game. 

Regarding "corrosion", what about "Säure"? Not a literate translation, but it still makes sense. I think the same translation was used in NW2, if I remember correctly

And I like the "Direkter Schaden" for raw damage. It goes also well with being the resualt of mental and kinda poison effects... Insects not so much, except they like to bury themself in the body and do their thing there (ugh).

"Wundschaden" for me is more off a damage over time effect like a bleeding. 

Updated the translation and used your suggestions regarding "Brandschaden" and "Direktschaden", Xaratas.

Also a few minor things I saw like in the inventory: "Versteck" => "Lager".

Two things which I am aware of but can't fix are "Enchant" in the item description and "Amount" in the crafting box - translation is correct, but it's still using the English version (Other localizations have the exact same problem, not only the German)

New files (replaces old): http://ge.tt/3b3cG6D2/v/1

I was hoping I could edit my old posts to remove links to old versions... but I can't.

Also: If someone has a better idea how to share and contribute to the translation, let us know.

Thanks for the effort, guys, really appreciated. It baffles me how something like that could make it the final version. Every half-qualified QA-reviewer should notice that immediately. And since the fix seems to be not that hard it's a mystery to me why it wasn't fixed before release.

I do hope that Obsidian (or whoever localized) the game will release an official fix for the localization problems ASAP.

But there are even worse errors than wrong weapon descriptions coming from missing strings, like the one error I showed in my own thread about the localization. It's probably hard to find them all if you don't cross-check the English and German version all the time... :/

35167v4.jpg

"Slash" should be "Klingen", and "Crush" should be "Hieb". That better describes the weapons that are using these damage types.

Is "Slash"-Damage in our case not more like "Schnitt"-schaden?

Both seem reasonable and possible to me. Either Schnittwaffen or Klingenwaffen make perfect sense.

35167v4.jpg

67nxg8.jpg

2njx44g.jpg

Edit: Ok, found the string myself. It's located in the "items" stringtable as well. I propose the following translation:

ID 219 ->  Ausgefranste Notiz

ID 220 -> Du musst unsere Beute zu Curnd zum Verkaufen bringen. Er wird aber nicht mit dir sprechen, wenn du die Losung 'Yc Nybeon Eyldfeon' nichts kennst. Er ist nur nach Anbruch der Dunkelheit im Geschenk anzutreffen. 

If you could include that in one of your upcoming versions I would be thankful.

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

I add some more errors:

- In the equipment describtion, the term "enchant" is not translated.

- In the screen where you enchant things, it is translated correctly as "verzaubern". But there is another problem. The second type of enchantment for armors is called "Beweisen". That makes no sense. I don´t know how it should be called.

- In the screen where you create food or scrolls, the word "amount" is not translated. It should be "Anzahl".

- In the options menu, "Area loot radius" is not translated. This is true for the slider and the description at the lower screen.

- In the first town, in the tavern you find a black hound. In your inventory it has the correct german name. But when it follows you and you press the TAB button, it is labeled as "Black Hound".

PS: Please make sure that your pet is not shown when you press TAB. It is part of your group and not a townsperson.

PPS: I made screenshots but I could not upload anything today. But I could upload something some days ago. At the moment I do not even see the option to add a file, though I saw it before.

"Slash" should be "Klingen", and "Crush" should be "Hieb". That better describes the weapons that are using these damage types.

I thought I could keep it consistent with previous games, but that seems to be difficult as well^^

NWN2 uses "Hieb", "Stich" and "Wucht"

BG1 uses "Klinge", "Stich" and "Wucht"

BG2 uses "Hieb", "Stich" and "Wucht"

I can see that using "Klingenschaden" makes it better distinguishable from "Wuchtschaden", so I can do that. But I would like to keep "Wucht" for all blunt weapons, exactly because "Hieb" is a bit vague. Sounds good?

Wenn ihr schon dabei seid, könntet ihr auch gleich den Fehler ausmerzen? Ich kenne mit mit Stringtable Dateien leider nicht so gut aus...

The tattered note is already translated in those versions: http://ge.tt/3b3cG6D2 Well... at least it's better than "Tapferkeit +15" :-D

Btw, I am not typing that slow or ignoring your comments, it's just that my posts still need to be reviewed by mods. *wink*

• Like 1

Updated the translation and used your suggestions regarding "Brandschaden" and "Direktschaden", Xaratas.

Also a few minor things I saw like in the inventory: "Versteck" => "Lager".

Two things which I am aware of but can't fix are "Enchant" in the item description and "Amount" in the crafting box - translation is correct, but it's still using the English version (Other localizations have the exact same problem, not only the German)

New files (replaces old): http://ge.tt/3b3cG6D2/v/1

I was hoping I could edit my old posts to remove links to old versions... but I can't.

Also: If someone has a better idea how to share and contribute to the translation, let us know.

Maybe it's time to start the first "mod" here? http://www.moddb.com/games/pillars-of-eternity/mods

I think making a German translation mod with more than one contributor would be a good thing - at least if Paradox/Obsidian don't plan to fix that stuff in the next two or three weeks or so...

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

Maybe it's time to start the first "mod" here? http://www.moddb.com/games/pillars-of-eternity/mods

I think making a German translation mod with more than one contributor would be a good thing - at least if Paradox/Obsidian don't plan to fix that stuff in the next two or three weeks or so...

If everyone could participate that would be nice, yes :) I think the devs will focus on global bugs first before moving to localization errors, so it might take a few weeks. (Unless they just shipped old translation files and it's fixed in next weeks 1.03 patch)

I haven't used moddb before... no idea how that works, though. There is no github-like thing for translations, eh?^^

Possible changes in "itemmods":

ID30: Korrossionspeitsche statt Rostpeitsche (man sollte sich imo auf eine Übersetzung für "corrosion/corrosive" einigen)

ID31: Hiebpeitsche (crushing)

ID42: Stichpeitsche (piercing)

ID46: Schnittpeitsche (slashing)

ID65: "Faunisch" imo unglückliche Übersetzung für "beast", vlt einfach nur "Tier" oder "wildes Tier"?

ID66: Was ist genau mit "kith" gemeint? Die Übersetzung "hominid" erscheint mir seltsam.

ID119: Schlag-SR-Bonus (slash)

Wir könnten auch den Mod-Nexus verwenden, damit bin ich vertrauter. http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/?

Das Hochladen eines Mods ist recht simpel: Einfach Account erstellen, zum Spiel gehen und dann ein File hochladen (mit Kategorie, Beschreibung usw). Das Updaten sollte dann ebenso einfach gehen. Ich könnte das auch machen und dir dann Bearbeitungsrechte geben, wenn du einen Account dort hast. ;)

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

@Durlachion

Items.stringtable:

ID 220 Du findest ihn nachts in der Geschenk. -> Du findest ihn nachts im 'Gift'.

ID 229 hab ich ausgelassen, da ich den String noch nicht selber gesehen habe und mir die Übersetzung "Die Legende des Eisenbrands" für "The legend of the Iron Brand" nicht sinnvoll erscheint.

ID 280 "Thug" nicht übersetzt, weil ich nicht weiß ob der Name "Thug" ist oder ob das ein Attribut zum Namen ist.

@LordCrash

Sind übersetzt.

@MadScientist

Die ersten 4 Punkte sind nicht in den Stringdateien enthalten. 'Area loot radius' ist erst sehr spät hinzugekommen (nachdem die Übersetzer dran waren), im Spanischen fehlt die Übersetzung dafür auch. (Siehe entsprechenden Thread)

New Patch: https://xaratas.privatepaste.com/download/3044f7576e

Use:

Put the download in [installpath]/game/PillarsOfEternity_Data/data/localized

Then run this command: patch -p0 -i de_patch.txt

replace de_patch.txt with the downloaded file name.

Needs the unmodified stringtable Files to succeed. So MAKE A BACKUP OF THE WHOLE de FOLDER before applying.

@Pillars developer

At least the Strings for the Enchant Button, Area Loot Radius menu option, Amount in crafting window, Black Hound pet name label are not externalised.

@Forum mods

An updated title would be nice like "contains patch" but i am not allowed to edit stuff older than one hour …

Edited by Xaratas