PC problems, need advice

sorophx

Yeah, NOW I would want to start testing stuff in a different PC entirely...but you don't have one. Like I said, hardware troubleshooting is hard when you can't swap stuff out. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I do have a second PC, but it's even older than this one. I'd have to swap PSUs to make it work with the new card

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

• 4 weeks later...

bought new notebook for my mother, put in my Windows 7 DVD, BoSD when getting into installation. Found out that there is something called UEFI which literally disable me to install older windows on it. Disabled everything UEFI related in BIOS. Installation complete. Computer constantly restarting without getting into Windows. Going to mass killing spree in Microsoft eminent....

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• 3 weeks later...

Monitor is going wonky(technical term). At least I think it's the monitor anyway. Video and games look pretty bad and pictures look weird (another technical term) while scrolling. Second monitor seems to be fine but will try swapping out cables and stuff(final technical term) to see if it makes any difference. Never had issues with a monitor before.

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

this isn't exactly a problem but lately my PC turns on by just pressing  a button on the keyboard. that would be normal if i put it to "sleep" but i turn it off with "shut down" so it should only turn on by pressing the power button. i don't remember ever changing something in the BIOS to allow for that sort of thing and a couple of weeks ago when i took apart my keyboard to clean it, the PC didn't turn on as i was putting the buttons back (and consequently pressing them)

could it be some new windows 10 feature?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Did you check the BIOS anyway ? Might be worth looking at the settings in Windows Power options as well, try turning off fast startup.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If it's a laptop, it might be in the hybrid hibernate mode...but I wouldn't expect that to be enabled on a desktop (but you can check by holding down shift when clicking the shutdown buttons, and then seeing if it still boots up while "shut down"). Otherwise, yes, it's possible there's a BIOS setting, so check for that if you're really concerned about it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Could it be the fast startup thing? I think that it's a type of hibernation. I got a code 40 on my mb and when I goolged it I got that it's for when the PC starts up from hibernation, which is strange because I disabled fast start up, but it's seems one of the updates re-enabled it...

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

today, after yesterday's update, it only turns on with the power button again.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.