Is Backstab really that horrible for a solo rogue?

I've heard Backstab referred to as a "trap" before, implying that it sounds way better than it actually is.

I realize that, in a party (before 2.0), it's not practical to have your rogue regularly open out of stealth. For soloing, Shadowing Beyond seems too useful as an escape tool to regularly blow for different purposes. I also understand that, even when soloing with high Stealth and move speed, there will probably be some enemies that detect me before I can open on them from stealth. There will be, however, many occasions when I can successfully sneak up and open from stealth - probably with most enemies in the game.

So, is Backstab really still a wasted talent, knowing and understanding the above caveats? Suppose I play as follows: I open up and assassinate most enemies with the first hit (Blinding Strike), some maybe with 2 or 3 hits at the most, I use Shadowing Beyond as soon as I'm about to die, I come back to the fight with less enemies standing, and rinse repeat until they're all dead. I know I'd be resting a lot, but I don't really mind that for a PoTD solo run.

Am I missing something? Does Backstab not stack with Sneak Attack? Deathblows? Blinding/Crippling Strike? Even if it doesn't, wouldn't that still make my character a significantly better stealth assassin until level 11?

Edited by Nobear

It does stack with sneak attack at least and therefore should also stack with deathblows. But deathblows and backstab won't trigger together I think, because the moment your first attack (Blinding Strike or whatever) hits, you get sbeak bonus and apply afflictions, but your breaking stealth and therefore can't trigger backstab anymore. I see no possibility to apply two afflictions to a target without breaking stealth. Solo that is. With a party and individual stealth in 2.0 it's possible.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Wow I've been away for a while, and probably won't be on much in the near future since school started again for me.

Even if, when soloing, Backstab would only stack with Sneak Attack, that's still 150% bonus damage, bringing your first hit up to par with the damage of your subsequent Sneak Attack + Deathblows hits. I'd think that still might be worth it for certain encounters if you're playing a stealth assassin. I could see it making the difference, for instance, between one-shotting and two-shotting many enemies. This could significantly increase the number of fights you'd be able to survive by taking out one to a few enemies at a time before using Shadowing Beyond.

This might be an even more attractive play style with 2.0 (since you'd be deadlier but squishier), although honestly I don't know when I'll have the time to buy the expansion and play it with school now, let alone get around to soloing lol.

It's cool if you have high stealth and some kind of +movement enchant or ability plus a high damage ranged weapon. You can quickly reach the 2m radius while still undetected, fire a high damage shot and run away or switch to melee. If you use Shadowing Beyond or individual stealth, you might be able to trigger Sneak Attack, Deathblows and Backstab: Apply two afflictions with rotfinger gloves or other CC from companions, then cast Shadowing Beyond and attack/attack with indiv. stealth still on. That should trigger all of them I think and would be a damage modifier of 250% without any other ability/talent. Eventually you can add crit (+50% or even +100% with annihilation items), reckless assault and savage assault. That would result in 340% or 390%. Superb weapon: 380/430. Then perhaps some lashes on top or Finishing Blow... Finishing Blow should do enormous damage I can't even think of.

Forgot the special talents that add %crit damage like the one from doemenels and from the trespassers in Twin Elms. On top of that you could add rabbit fur gloves or that helm taht does +10% crit damage. Should be another +30%.

Maybe Lead Spitter with Vul. Shot, a lash, the corresponding +elemental damage talent and all I mentioned above would be truly devastating for the first "Backstab" shot - even without deathblows. Combine it with Envenomed Strike. Ah... the possibilities are endless. ;)

• Like 2