Steampeasants vs. GOG masterrace.

Even though I usually prefer GOG I'm fighting with myself to buy White March on Steam.

There are always early betas on steam and in this game I don't mind testing new content.

So idk, anything against steam, other than it's less cool than GOG?

• Like 1

Both have their advantages. Personally, if I can get a game on either platform, I always choose GOG. Having said that, if you own the base game on GOG, then that's the platform you have to buy the expansion on (It's not stand alone).

• Like 1

"Steampeasants"? Never heard that before. Oh dear, that dosnt sounds nice.

I prefer GOG, since it force less the extra client on me, and dont push unfinished games (early access for the win).

Also duopol is better than monopoly.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

Both have their advantages. Personally, if I can get a game on either platform, I always choose GOG. Having said that, if you own the base game on GOG, then that's the platform you have to buy the expansion on (It's not stand alone).

Oh.

Why don't I feel like buying game 1 on steam...

I like GOG, I don't like needing to use the steam app to do things and don't like it running all the time.  I'll buy some games on Steam, but usually only if they aren't available on GOG, used to be Steam's sales were better too, but GOG offers some pretty good sales now as well.

Edited by MunoValente
  • Like 1

Personally I dislike Steam's DRM. If I fork out cash for something, it is mine. I did not borrow a game; I did not lease a game; I did not rent a game. I bought it and I own it.

GOG is DRM free, so they'll always have my preference (I'd rather not play than to suck up DRM.)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

. I bought it and I own it.

You do realize that you don't 'own' games you buy on GOG either, right? The difference being that GOG has no ability to block access to your games if you backup your game installers. Which is why I like DRM-free as well. But no matter what platform you buy your software on, you don't actually own it. You just own a license to play/use it. I understand this is being pedantic, but the 'ownership' argument against Steam is misguided.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I didn't mean to say I own the IP; I own a copy of the game. In the digital world, a license. But said copy belongs to me and I should have unrestricted access to it at all times. I think that's always been the argument against Steam; it's just a matter of wording.

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

"Steampeasants"? Never heard that before. Oh dear, that dosnt sounds nice.

I prefer GOG, since it force less the extra client on me, and dont push unfinished games (early access for the win).

Also duopol is better than monopoly.

That's pretty much exactly how I see it.  I buy games on Steam, but I prefer to use GoG if it's available.  I still have some Gamer's Gate games too.  Competition is good, and I don't give a damn about the Steam community and collecting cards and achievements and all that.  

I definitely prefer Steam to Origin and UPlay, though.  Most games work fine offline in Steam, and when online, I haven't seen the time-out related crashes during loading screens that Origin and Uplay games seem to suffer.

• Like 1

I definitely prefer Steam to Origin and UPlay, though.  Most games work fine offline in Steam, and when online, I haven't seen the time-out related crashes during loading screens that Origin and Uplay games seem to suffer.

My experience has been different. Surprisingly, I find that Origin 'just works'. I've had no issues with it whatsoever. Steam hasn't been terrible for me, but I've had a few issues with offline mode and I loathe the forced game updates.

• Like 2

. I bought it and I own it.

You do realize that you don't 'own' games you buy on GOG either, right? The difference being that GOG has no ability to block access to your games if you backup your game installers. Which is why I like DRM-free as well. But no matter what platform you buy your software on, you don't actually own it. You just own a license to play/use it. I understand this is being pedantic, but the 'ownership' argument against Steam is misguided.

Regarding gog.com, actually, it is treated as a copy and you *own* that copy. What you then do with your copy, is your choice, same as a music CD. Same restrictions, same laws.

(on a tangent, I certainly prefer Origin over Steam, but gog.com is my favorite of the three - also a new release of goldbox D&D games there and that beats the competition!)

Edited by ShadowStorm
  • Like 1

I use Steam because I always used Steam and I have access to my entire library on it. If GOG had come first and I had my entire library on that it would be the place to go for me. Honestly I don't have problems with Steam? People keep telling me Steam is buggy and stuff, but I have never run into an issue.

• Like 4

Steam has a nasty policy from this year to stop people buying from cheaper regions. If you even move from one region to another Steam will disallow access to all your games. Even if you are on a business trip you will lose the access to your games until you get back.

This might not be true if you already got a game installed on the computer and use Offline mode.

• Like 1

Steam has a nasty policy from this year to stop people buying from cheaper regions. If you even move from one region to another Steam will disallow access to all your games. Even if you are on a business trip you will lose the access to your games until you get back.

This might not be true if you already got a game installed on the computer and use Offline mode.

Is there a list of these games? Or does it affect all regional versions? I'm a little worried now, I might be leaving the country soon and I'd hate to see my RHCP games not working. I have only one or two because I avoid region-locked purchases if I can, but still. I don't know what Valve is expecting, but that's just supporting rampant piracy. Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 1

Fair enough. I didn't mean to say I own the IP; I own a copy of the game. In the digital world, a license. But said copy belongs to me and I should have unrestricted access to it at all times. I think that's always been the argument against Steam; it's just a matter of wording.

That's not true. You do not own copies you bought on STEAM. Read the rules.

That's precisely what I was criticizing Steam for; hence my preference for GOG.

• Like 2

Is there a list of these games? Or does it affect all regional versions? I'm a little worried now, I might be leaving the country soon and I'd hate to see my RHCP games not working. I have only one or two because I avoid region-locked purchases if I can, but still. I don't know what Valve is expecting, but that's just supporting rampant piracy.

All games bought in one regions are not accessible in other regions. I think the rule might not apply for games bought before 2015, but I am not 100% sure. I was researching how to gift myself a cheaper game from another region and found this info and people complaining that moved permanently from Russia to USA.

(I know, I know, but my country has same prices as Germany while our buying power is 1/3 of germany... **** steam!)

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

Is there a list of these games? Or does it affect all regional versions? I'm a little worried now, I might be leaving the country soon and I'd hate to see my RHCP games not working. I have only one or two because I avoid region-locked purchases if I can, but still. I don't know what Valve is expecting, but that's just supporting rampant piracy.
All games bought in one regions are not accessible in other regions. I think the rule might not apply for games bought before 2015, but I am not 100% sure. I was researching how to gift myself a cheaper game from another region and found this info and people complaining that moved permanently from Russia to USA.

(I know, I know, but my country has same prices as Germany while our buying power is 1/3 of germany... **** steam!)

I know gifting outside the cheaper region was disabled. I actually think it's fair - and no reasonable person buys new games on Steam anyway, so it doesn't matter much. Though it gets quite interesting when my game is region-locked, but still sold on Steam for the full price because my country pays in euro, not rubels...

Anyhow, it's absurd if they lock us out from playing legally bought games when we leave our region. How is this even legal? Was it ever reported to a consumer protection body?

Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 1

My experience has been different. Surprisingly, I find that Origin 'just works'. I've had no issues with it whatsoever. Steam hasn't been terrible for me, but I've had a few issues with offline mode and I loathe the forced game updates.

I've had Origin encountered an error whilst updating itself. Then forced me to reinstall. I had 80GB of games at the time. It would not recognize any of them. I ended up having to redownload everything.

Origin is so incredibly buggy and unstable it only works when it wants to. Just like everything EA does.

• Like 1

I've had Origin encountered an error whilst updating itself. Then forced me to reinstall. I had 80GB of games at the time. It would not recognize any of them. I ended up having to redownload everything.

Origin is so incredibly buggy and unstable it only works when it wants to. Just like everything EA does.

Again, my experience has been different. I've had Origin installed for a couple years and had no issues whatsoever with it. Not trying to say you didn't have problems, you obviously have, and so have many others. I was just pointing out that everyone has different experiences with software. Steam, for me, has been buggier than Origin (although, to be fair, I've not had any really major problems with Steam either).

• Like 1