I can only share about my tank fighter, but I don't think the difference is huge.

Fighters have armored grace after all which enables them to attack faster in heavy armour.

In 1.06 the fighter is not quite there, yet. But in 2.0 with maxed Per you should do massive damage with dual wield sabres.

The up to 9 extra accuracy will let him be beastly.

I gave up on him after chapter 1 because I felt like I was just spending so much time fighting big groups vs. fighting single opponents and feel like you'd be better of with a barbarian 90% of the time. 

Is probably solid in Thaos fight though.

I feel the game tends to favour classes and abilities being able to damage multimple enemies over single target in general in practically everything except the Thaos fight.

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 1

I gave up on him after chapter 1 because I felt like I was just spending so much time fighting big groups vs. fighting single opponents and feel like you'd be better of with a barbarian 90% of the time. 

Is probably solid in Thaos fight though.

I feel the game tends to favour classes and abilities being able to damage multimple enemies over single target in general in practically everything except the Thaos fight.

Thats true, though no purely martial class will ever outdamage spellcasters.

Don't know about the barbarian, is he better in 2.0, because in 1.06. He kinda sucks.

• Like 1

Perception change helps, max perception + savage attack is very nice on barbarian for accuracy, damage, and interrupts.

Late game (level 9+) casters still outshine everyone else and you'd be clearly better of with a druid for basically everything.

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 2

I always give my melee guys Lore 6-8. Always. MAkes them so much better when they can fan of flames/moonwell/paralysis/+all defenses and other stuff.

My dps dudes like barb/rogue/druid also get 6+ survival (trying how it does in 2.0) since some potion/food effects become really long with it. Especially Heal over Time potions are decent and pots that are 30-45+ in dur pre-survi.

Edited by Killyox

Ok on hard it doesn't matter.

You basically have 15 accuracy more, because the monsters have 15 def less.

In comparison even the 9 accuracy we'll get in 2.0 look bad.

What doesn't matter exactly?

What you take. Because hard is not hard at all so it 'doesn't matter'. All fights can be done with 3-man party as well.

Edited by Killyox

What you take. Because hard is not hard at all so it 'doesn't matter'. All fights can be done with 3-man party as well.

What I specifically meant was the weakness of the barbarian, too little accuracy.

On hard all the monsters can be hit way easier because they have 15 points less deflection.

Sure, but the question is what build would be fun. You can solo with any build, but that doesn't make them enjoyable.

What I specifically meant was the weakness of the barbarian, too little accuracy.

On hard all the monsters can be hit way easier because they have 15 points less deflection.

The nerf to deflection and and the accuracy buff from Perception could change that.

Sure, but the question is what build would be fun. You can solo with any build, but that doesn't make them enjoyable.

The nerf to deflection and and the accuracy buff from Perception could change that.

makes it easier again for the barbarian who never was a deflection heavy build.

Here is an offensive themed fighter, similar to what I used prior to 2.0 but should do well with the downgrading of defender and the addition of accuracy from perception. Fighters have the highest base accuracy which is further augmented by weapon enchantments, weapon focus and now by perception as well. he also can take a graze > hit talent, Confident Aim, which will further help his damage output in the toughest fights.

Barbarians will do better against groups of weaker enemies, a rogue will do higher single target damage but requires status effects to be applied by others as well as being rather squishy. The fighter is tough enough to stand toe to toe with dangerous foes due to high natural deflection, heavy armor that is further improved with armored grace and naturally high endurance and health that also has a passive regen.

Personally, I try not to ever get my main character knocked out and a fighter helps me achieve that goal. The easy fights take longer than if he was a barbarian but against the really tough foes a fighter shines, he is usually the last one standing ..... and then stands up again with a self rez to continue the fight. 

The Nutcracker

Boreal Dwarf Fighter White that Wends (+1 Per) - Any race will work well, I just like Dwarves

Might - 20 - more damage and more passive regen

Dex - 10 - higher would be nice but run out of points

Con - 10 - new malus makes dumping more painful

Per - 18 - more accuracy, good interrupts as well

Int - 3 - no duration based abilities and something has to be dumped

Res - 17 - offsets the will save malus of dumping intellect plus gets you deflection, concentration and dialogue

1 Knockdown - twice per encounter for 3.3 sec due to low intellect, or go with disciplined barrage for +10 accuracy for 9.8 seconds

2 Weapon Focus - +6 accuracy with weapon group of choice

3 Confident Aim - equivalent to +13.5% damage boost

4 Vulnerable Attack - +5 DR penetration modal for tough foes

5 Weapon Spec - +15% damage for weapon group of choice

6 Savage Attack - +20% melee damage modal

7 Armored Grace - +16% action speed due to reduced armor penalty

8 Weapon mastery - +10% damage with weapon group of choice

9 Critical Defense - converts some crits to hits and some hits to graze, you will get hit so this will make it hurt less, helps with spell effects as well

10 Two handed weapon style - +15% damage with two handed weapons Can swap with sword and shield style for a more defensive focus while still keeping high damage.

11 Unbroken - per encounter self rez

12 Whatever - interrupting blow to maximize interrupts, envenomed strike to make use of the high might and accuracy, passive deflection boost, another weapon slot.

All together you get +30% might, +15 spec, +20 savage, +10 mastery, an equivalent +10% from the +20% minimum damage from Confident Aim, +15 two handed for +100% damage boost for two handed weapons, +65% for ranged weapons  in your weapon group and +85% damage when going with weapon and shield for increased deflection. Plus you have a 20% graze to hit which will increase in damage the tougher the enemy

You'll have very high accuracy and do single target damage better than anyone except for a rogue with status effects combined with heavy armor that affects you 16% less than anyone else, a crit>hit and hit >crit passive defense and a per encounter self rez if all else fails.

You are a nutcracker, a heavily armored golem of death original.gif

If you want more tankiness you can swap two handed style for sword and shield style. You lose out on the +15% damage boost from two handed style but gain the +6 deflection plus the shield which also adds to your reflex. You could further the tough enemy approach by adding single weapon style on top of the weapon and shield to get another +30% graze to hit for 50% total.

• Like 2

I've played a 19/8/19/5/8/19 Human fighter. It's pretty good, but will be totally worthless in 2.0 because of the 5 perception tongue.png It was my only tank, in fact, everything else was a glass cannon. Played it on PotD, with a full custom party though. As I do always.

Leveled it something like this:

1: Knockdown

2: Weapon & Shield (Sura's Supper Plate ftw)

3: Defender

4: Wary Defender

5: Confident Aim

6: Weapon Focus: Soldier (for that War Hammer with +1 engagement)

7: Armored Grace

8: Bull's Will

9: Weapon Mastery

10: Bear's Fortitude

11: Unbroken

12: this is where I basically went whatever, it doesn't matter much.

Gear is vital though, it allows you to skip some talents... and Eder's Armor is just absolutely monstrous

Sain't War Armor (acquired from Edér)

Ring of Deflection

Ring of Protection

Cloack of the Tireless Defender

Sura's Supper Plate.

That war hammer with +1 engagement tongue.png

All can be acquired easily.

It's basically an unstoppable, constantly hitting death machine... that attacks back when attacked. High saves, high attack speed, high damage.

edit: just realized you could choose to use some other armor at level 11, when you acquire Unbroken. Though you can totally get knocked down twice if you keep it on wink.png

Edited by Psychevore

That war hammer with +1 engagement tongue.png

edit: just realized you could choose to use some other armor at level 11, when you acquire Unbroken. Though you can totally get knocked down twice if you keep it on wink.png

First, neither myself nor most other players found any use for effects that increase engagement. It doesn't seem to actually make a difference in holding enemies in place. The few enemies that run or teleport past tanks will do so with or without it. I'd like to know if this has changed in 2.0.

Second, have you confirmed by testing that you can get back up twice in one encounter with Unbroken + a Second Chance item? That sounds cool if you can, especially with the nerf to tankiness in 2.0, I just don't know whether those effects stack like that or not.

Second chance activates when you get knocked down first, so you get up again.

Unbroken can only be activated when you're knocked down. It's an activated effect, so I don't see why second chance would cancel it out.

But I never got knocked down twice. I actually didn't even finish the game because I stupidly stepped on a trap near the end and lost half my party. Played on Trial of Iron so it was kinda heart breaking tongue.png

edit: oh and about that hammer. I didn't know that.

It was still fun to see her swing her hammer about though.

But you should totally go for Ravenwing then, and appropriate focus. Upgrade it at level 8 so you won't lose too much damage bonus.

Edited by Psychevore
  • Like 1

Second chance activates when you get knocked down first, so you get up again.

Unbroken can only be activated when you're knocked down. It's an activated effect, so I don't see why second chance would cancel it out.

That sounds like a logical justification for it stacking (i.e. both potentially taking effect in one encounter), but this game has quite a few inconsistencies, so I wouldn't count on it 100% until I tested it lol, just saying. You're right that you normally wouldn't need the effect even once per encounter, let alone twice, but then there's Adra Dragon. lol one fight I know, that can actually pose a threat to a well-built tank. Maybe there will be more such fights with the 2.0 tankiness nerfs and/or the expansion content.

I just tested with a second chance ring and unbroken in 1.06, or whatever the current version is.

When I get knocked the first time the combat log says 'unbroken activated' and I get back up. The log then listed an attack by a shade and then listed 'second chance activated' . I then got knocked out again after some more hits.

Prior to the experiment I had been knocked out 15 times. Afterwards I had 17 knockouts. Based on this I'd say that the two effects do not stack, as in you can't get back up twice in the same fight. If you have unbroken then a second chance item does nothing for you. I got knocked out twice, first time got back up and then second time did not. If they both work I'd have gotten up again and then been knocked out a total of 18 times.

I am not sure if unbroken gets you a better revival than second chance does, as in do you get back up with better endurance and buffs, I think you do based on the perk description for unbroken but the description of second chance is vague.

• Like 1

You should do some more testing (only if you want of course) because sometimes I have the impression that second chance fails to do it's job. I have a priest with a second chance armour and from time to time I wonder why he doesn't get up after the first knockout. But maybe I miss something like dot damage or the like...?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods