I type a lot and people use that to argue I'm mad or take a topic too serious.

Longknife

Spot on.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Then again this somewhat lies in the nature of English as the largest of languages (not most spoken,)

I've heard it before, I never found the source. Where do you take it from?

As for walls of text, you aren't talking to yourself. If you want to engage the reader, you need to write in a format they can easily digest and respond to. An essay works well as a blog post, but not so much in a forum debate, especially a fast-moving one. Similarly, raising several points in one post often deviates from the original topic of discussion and discourages people from reading at all if they have to wade through unrelated observations to get to the main point. There's nothing inherently wrong with long-winded posts - but if you want to be heard, you need to adapt to your interlocutor. Brevity is a valuable skill.

Edited by Rosveen

Then again this somewhat lies in the nature of English as the largest of languages (not most spoken,)

I've heard it before, I never found the source. Where do you take it from?

It's almost impossible to clarify absolutely, but the differing heritages of the English language and the words it accomodates has granted it an enormous range, from Gaelic, Greek, Latin, French, Norse, Saxon, Dutch, German, Indian and such, there are very few languages with as wide a range. However in reality this is contestable, for instance Finnish with its tendency to mush words together means that there are near an infinite variety of new words one can make on the fly, i've forgotten the name for this. Generally English is just accepted as the largest of languages, there has been no definite study done at this point that i'm aware of.

It's growing at a staggering rate as well, with text speak and various new terms being added every year.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You should see my posts *before* I edit them down.

Or the fun, ranty ones I type out full of fire and fervor bur never post.

:)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Here, a perfect example came up of what I mean: https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/3i1fvu/how_team_fortress_2_perfectly_illustrates_the/cudoy1f

As others have highlighted...?

No, I shouldn't bother with people like this, and of course, it's just an internet discussion so who cares.
The only reason I can give for why I bother is because I know there's been moments in my life where I was certain someone was wrong or an idiot or something, and I was so deadset on my personal opinion and mindset, and then I grew older and found that looking back on it, I was ignorant as ****. I get in discussions a lot about all sorts of topics cause I'm either eager to be proven wrong and learn something (then or later) OR I like to think like just like I've personally experienced, there are times when people I've spoken to have remembered things I've said and it's helped them change their minds. (then or later) I like to think that, anyways. :p

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

It's some one on reddit, you never bother with them. Well ok, they are fun to troll especially ones with an agenda :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I feel that the correct point to give up on these discussions is when they start discussing the person rather than the topic at hand (not that I consistently follow said guideline myself, as I'm not innocent of ad hominem). That guy started out not discussing the technical advantages or disadvantages of PC that the topic was about, but directly started about "PC users that write long threads" (i.e. a turnaround way to say you). At that point he's already proven to be conversational garbage and should not be bothered with.