Pillars of Eternity Retrospective Discussion at PAX Prime!

Oh God, I wish Watchers of Eternity was the actual title, shortened WOE, like in ... um ... Woedica! That would be epic. Instead I have to say Pillars of Eternity, which really sounds funny in german.

Though "Säulen der Ewigkeit" sounds pretty awesome in contrast ;)

Yeah, just like a Ken Follet novel!^^

The reason given for not including campsites seems a little...light, I mean yes a campsite in the middle of a castles corridors is stupid, but an abandoned storeroom, a secret passage, a bolt hole, a barricaded watchtower or other such sites would seem eminently viable. Post the usual guards, perhaps a few illusions or warding spells (though you'd have to attack the Wizard to allow him to cast,) and it would make sense so long as one maintained stealth and subterfuge.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

That's not the only reason they provided, though? They also explained that they made the mistake of not tracking the camping zones throughout the game, that they had difficulties establishing a clear visual language for camping zones, and that some fans reacted negatively to the mechanic (and I can vouch for that, having been on these forums pre-release).

I don't think it'd be impossible to have camps in a game like this, but the reasoning for changing the system seem sound. As always, there's never a single solution to a design problem, but we know what Obsidian ultimately went with.