Can we get sales numbers?

One thing we have to consider is that many of these were backers already and part of the game's budget, so that's 77,000 people who didn't buy the game afterwards. The Witcher 2 had 80% of its copies sold on Steam and The Witcher 3 had about 45% (more copies sold on GOG), but that's the absolute best case scenario for a game on GOG, as it's the developer's own store, the game gets a few extras, loyal fanbase wants to support them, etc.

I'd guess at least 80% activated their copies on Steam, so that's ~62.000 copies out of the equation. That equals $12,500,000 in revenue for Obsidian/Paradox, but that's assuming all copies were standard editions, so if anything, they made much more than that.

Best case scenario, let's assume 20% of the copies were deluxe editions (I'm guessing here, I've seen some similar numbers for physical limited editions, but not digital only), 15% for the Champion Edition and 5% for the Royal one. That would put it at $13,794,684.

On a different note, I'm not sure, but it does seem to me that PoE was funded by Kickstarter/Paypal alone, unlike other crowdfunded RPGs. Wasteland 2 had its budget doubled (3 to 6 million) with InXile's own money, but I couldn't find anything to suggest it was the case here.

Sounds like hogwash to me. We dont know how much they actually put into each game. Pillars looks to have a much higher budget than wasteland.

Graphics, art and animation was quite terrible in wasteland and it had few quality of life features. The same cannot be said about Pillars. They also delayed Pillars to work on it more. Wasteland was shuved out the door.

Pillars even has new art for different QUALITIES of armour. Regular leather armour looks different than fine leather which looks different than exceptional leather. Armour doesnt even show up on your characters in wasteland!

Can someone enlighten me as to how wasteland would cost more than Pillars? Because for me, it's not adding up.

Edited by Kilburn

One thing we have to consider is that many of these were backers already and part of the game's budget, so that's 77,000 people who didn't buy the game afterwards. The Witcher 2 had 80% of its copies sold on Steam and The Witcher 3 had about 45% (more copies sold on GOG), but that's the absolute best case scenario for a game on GOG, as it's the developer's own store, the game gets a few extras, loyal fanbase wants to support them, etc.

I'd guess at least 80% activated their copies on Steam, so that's ~62.000 copies out of the equation. That equals $12,500,000 in revenue for Obsidian/Paradox, but that's assuming all copies were standard editions, so if anything, they made much more than that.

Best case scenario, let's assume 20% of the copies were deluxe editions (I'm guessing here, I've seen some similar numbers for physical limited editions, but not digital only), 15% for the Champion Edition and 5% for the Royal one. That would put it at $13,794,684.

On a different note, I'm not sure, but it does seem to me that PoE was funded by Kickstarter/Paypal alone, unlike other crowdfunded RPGs. Wasteland 2 had its budget doubled (3 to 6 million) with InXile's own money, but I couldn't find anything to suggest it was the case here.

Sounds like hogwash to me. We dont know how much they actually put into each game. Pillars looks to have a much higher budget than wasteland.

Graphics, art and animation was quite terrible in wasteland and it had few quality of life features. The same cannot be said about Pillars. They also delayed Pillars to work on it more. Wasteland was shuved out the door.

Pillars even has new art for different QUALITIES of armour. Regular leather armour looks different than fine leather which looks different than exceptional leather. Armour doesnt even show up on your characters in wasteland!

Can someone enlighten me as to how wasteland would cost more than Pillars? Because for me, it's not adding up.

Could cost more for several reasons. Sunk costs on cut/reworked content, bigger team = more salaries, marketing, rent, higher salaries, or even mismanagement. Only InXile can tell, but just because PoE is better or less expensive to make doesn't mean Wasteland 2 couldn't cost more money.

Hell, Broken Age had a pretty big budget for that type of game and look how that turned out. They burned all of their money and had to split the game in half to make more money and finish it. In that case, the reasons were clear, but we don't know the specifics regarding PoE/WL2.

Just a quick update, due to PoE (Hero edition alone, not including the others) surpassing Divinity: Original Sin on GOG, which has sold more than a million copies according to Larian.

Steamspy says D:OS has 864k on Steam. If we call it 850k, that's at least 150k on GOG. If PoE sold more than that on GOG and we consider 450k for PoE, that means 25% of PoE players (including backers, of course) got their game on GOG. Much more than the percentage for TW2, CDPR's own game which held the "record" before The Witcher 3.

It'd also put the game's sales figures above 600k and makes it considerably more successful than Wasteland 2.

Edited by lordfairfax
  • Like 4