So I was thinking of building my Paladin as an Off Tank that hits hard when he hits but also supports the group.  Pretty much all of my other Paladins have been main tanks who are offensively worthless.  So what should my stats look like?  as good as Per is now I still cant manage to find room for it...  I was thinking something like (I really don't min/max to the fullest)

Might 16 (good damage and heals)

Con 16   (much lower deflection with 2hander and no resolve so I need HP to stay alive in melee longer)

Dex 10

Int 16 (longer lasting support abilities and larger ZF)

Per 10

Res 10

What do you guys think?

Have gun will travel.

I use a paladin as my main tank (super great) and another paladin for second row and ranged (arquebus). They are both super effective. But I havent used one specifically as an offtank before (although my second row paladin has decent deflection if she uses a large shield).

I have found in 2.0 that Perception and Dexterity are more important than Might. Perception will increase accuracy so you land more hits, and also interrupt more so the enemy takes longer to do anything. With a group of high interrupt characters its almost like stun locking. Dexterity means you can attack faster, so the loss of speed from using armor, one hand weapon and shield can be counteracted quite nicely. Dex is also great when youre using reloading ranged weapons.

Get inside! RUN!

As pala lacks AoE it will never be an offernsive powerhouse.

But if you don't max PE in 2.0. your offense is pretty much screwed.

I agree with you Paladin will never be an offensive powerhouse but aren't the heaviest hitters in the game lacking in Aoe as well? or am I missing something?  Rogue and Ranger don't have very good AoE but they can brutalize enemies.  Maybe my hybrid/offtank type with a Paladin isn't possible.  You need too many stats I think..either go offense or defense.

Have gun will travel.

Personally I'd say 1h + light shield (preferably the retaliate one so it also helps with dealing damage) over 2h if you're going to be tanking anything at all.

If you keep PE at 10 in 2.0, your offense is pretty much exactly what it would have been in 1.06, so hardly screwed.

For pure DPS might is still better for everyone who lacks massive +% damage bonuses, this was shown ages ago when accuracy was based on Dex.

• Like 1

Personally I'd say 1h + light shield (preferably the retaliate one so it also helps with dealing damage) over 2h if you're going to be tanking anything at all.

If you keep PE at 10 in 2.0, your offense is pretty much exactly what it would have been in 1.06, so hardly screwed.

For pure DPS might is still better for everyone who lacks massive +% damage bonuses, this was shown ages ago when accuracy was based on Dex.

I am bored at work and was thinking exactly that.  1h +Shield and Retaliate.  Stats though I am having trouble.  Obviously I cant stack Deflection anymore so I will be getting hit more.  I am thinking of maxing res and getting a high Con since the HP per point was buffed and I am going to get hit more..

Have gun will travel.

Maybe something like this:

MoonMoon Godlike - for aoe heals

Bleak Walker - for Black Path, but anything with aoe on kill or 2/encounter would be ok. Kind Wayferers could also be good.

Stats: M18, Con 11, Dex 12, Per 12, Int 15, Res 10 (including racial, origin)

Might so high since we do not have dmg boost on our own, and it benefits our healing.

Con could be always substitute with Dex and Armor.

Weapon: 2H for kill steals, flames of devotion and DT breaking.

Abilities: Flames of Devotion, Zelous Focus, Lay of Hands, Inspire Trymph, Revive, Coordinate Attacks, Sworn Enemy (lv 13?)

Talents: Standard 2H package + Your Paladin Order Talent,

Problem with Paladins is that they do not have offensive abilities, so the best we can do it to pick support abilities, and standard dps package talents. There is more fun to play than effective.

Edited by evilcat

Maybe something like this:

MoonMoon Godlike - for aoe heals

Bleak Walker - for Black Path, but anything with aoe on kill or 2/encounter would be ok. Kind Wayferers could also be good.

Stats: M18, Con 11, Dex 12, Per 12, Int 12, Res 10 + Racials/Origin

Might so high since we do not have dmg boost on our own, and it benefits our healing.

Con could be always substitute with Dex and Armor.

Weapon: 2H for kill steals, flames of devotion and DT breaking.

Abilities: Flames of Devotion, Zelous Focus, Lay of Hands, Inspire Trymph, Revive, Coordinate Attacks, Sworn Enemy (lv 13?)

Talents: Standard 2H package + Your Paladin Order Talent,

Problem with Paladins is that they do not have offensive abilities, so the best we can do it to pick support abilities, and standard dps package talents. There is more fun to play than effective.

not a bad build I would just be worried about being interrupted a lot in melee with a low concentration and not hitting too quickly.  But hey my original build had a 10 Res.  I was thinking of going the retaliation route and just main tanking.  My original idea seems to be a sub par damage dealer and tank....not really providing much.

Have gun will travel.

Pala had NO offense in 1.06. thats the problem., :)

I agree with you Paladin will never be an offensive powerhouse but aren't the heaviest hitters in the game lacking in Aoe as well? or am I missing something?  Rogue and Ranger don't have very good AoE but they can brutalize enemies.  Maybe my hybrid/offtank type with a Paladin isn't possible.  You need too many stats I think..either go offense or defense.

I don't see rogue and rangers nearly in the league of spellcasters.

I don't see rogue and rangers nearly in the league of spellcasters.

Melee rogues have the highest single-target DPS in the game, but lack AoE, which is basically what he said.

Don't think even the single target dps of a rogue can keep up with spells like Disintegration.

It definitely doesn't keep up with the overall dps, which is all that matters in my book.

Don't think even the single target dps of a rogue can keep up with spells like Disintegration.

It definitely doesn't keep up with the overall dps, which is all that matters in my book.

Disintegration... I'm looking at a guide that says it's 35 Focus for a Slow cast, single target that deals 25 Raw damage over 15 sec. Is that info outdated? That sounds pretty lackluster to me, unless it means 25 damage per second for 15 sec instead of 25 damage total.

lol agreed... Well, fortunately you can easily justify taking all three level 6 powers, as there are only three to choose from. You'd only be skipping a fourth power in one of the lower tiers, and I don't see a tier with four super-good powers (that currently work :p).