[2.0 beta] Eder not getting bonus talent.

Thessaly

Question

I've started a few games on 2.0 to try things out, and one thing I noticed is that if I struck out immediately and nabbed Eder before I got enough experience to hit level 3 before reaching him, he wouldn't get his bonus Weapon Type: Ruffian talent. (So, recruit at level 2, no bonus talent. Level 3, bonus talent.)

12 answers to this question

Hello Thessaly,

I am a little bit confuse on your wording here and I would like to get some clarity on the issue you are having. When you say "struck out immediately" are you going straight to Gilded Vale without killing anything and going directly to the inn? So recruiting Eder before he is level 3 prevents him from getting talents?

Thank you for your post and support!

Hello Thessaly,

I am a little bit confuse on your wording here and I would like to get some clarity on the issue you are having. When you say "struck out immediately" are you going straight to Gilded Vale without killing anything and going directly to the inn? So recruiting Eder before he is level 3 prevents him from getting talents?

Thank you for your post and support!

Correct, recruiting him prior to you turning level 3 (or him being level 3 upon recruit) precludes Eder from gaining those bonus abilities; if you recruit him, and he /is/ level 3, he gets them. Moreover, using 2.0's retraining option removes the talents even if he started with them.

Hey Thessaly,

I tried to reproduce this on our end, but I was not able to do so. Do you have any specific steps on how this may occur? I recruited Eder before level 3 and it worked just fine.

Could you please upload a save file and an output log via dropbox? 

Thanks.

Can do. Made two saves, both facing Eder, one level 2 and one level 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnw2knl6on8s48n/b5a5b25deae548a1a5138bedbc113944%207786807%20GildedVale.savegame?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnc7u3ddzpnc3eb/b5a5b25deae548a1a5138bedbc113944%207795187%20GildedVale.savegame?dl=0

Thank you Thessaly, unfortunately I was till not able to reproduce the bug with your files. I was able to select talents at level 2.  Can I please get an output/players log from you? You can find the location of the output log by clicking on the link in my signature. 

Thanks!

As requested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0k6kyx8m6bgu12/output_log.txt?dl=0

I'm not going to mourn Eder getting an extra talent by any means, just thought I'd point it out. It's definitely a consistent event entirely based on level, I've made many, many characters and it's always happened; it's also been noted before in these forums with other players. (Reference: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81108-defender-ability-not-updating-properly/?p=1720008)

It's pretty obvious, right away, that he has Rapid Recovery /and/ Weapon Focus: Ruffian if recruited at level 3, where if you respec him (or nab him at level 2 instead) you only get one or the other upon leveling to 3. Granted, those are some fairly weak talents (even in combination) for either roles he's capable of, but it's obviously a bug he's either getting them or not keeping them on respec. I was hoping the latter, but it seems the former.

Appreciate your efforts in having spent the time, Aarik! I'll chalk this one up as working as intended and the price you pay for meddling with respecs on companions.

Edited by Thessaly

I've started a few games on 2.0 to try things out, and one thing I noticed is that if I struck out immediately and nabbed Eder before I got enough experience to hit level 3 before reaching him, he wouldn't get his bonus Weapon Type: Ruffian talent. (So, recruit at level 2, no bonus talent. Level 3, bonus talent.)

I see what the issue is. It looks like Weapon Focus Ruffian is mistakenly marked to unlock for Eder at level 3 instead of level 4. We'll resolve this and it'll be fixed in a future patch.

Hahaha!

No good deed goes unpunished!

Here comes the Nerf Stick...

(I am pretty sure that getting Ruffian at lvl3 is working as intended)

I see what the issue is. It looks like Weapon Focus Ruffian is mistakenly marked to unlock for Eder at level 3 instead of level 4. We'll resolve this and it'll be fixed in a future patch.

Hahaha!

This is just for "auto level Eder up to your level when you first pick him up". Talents are normally unlocked at even numbered levels. Instead of him getting the talent at level 4, he is getting it at level 3 (as well as an ability and thus getting nothing for level 4). Obviously, if you pick up Eder prior to level 3 or don't have "Auto Level Companions" checked then this whole thing is moot.

It's not a "nerf" in that sense. This is just a mistake in the auto level table for Eder. Also, the comment for the table entry says "Level 4 - Weapon Focus Ruffian" so I'm sure it's meant for level 4.

• Like 1

Twitter: @robyatadero

Hahaha!

Just looking for consistency; some characters are /supposed/ to start with bonus skills or talents. I don't want to deliberately avoid recruiting Eder and play events out of order to get the "most out of him" -- and the temptation for it is real if I'm convinced it's a bug that he doesn't get the abilities and I'm "losing out" due to a 2.0 bug. Besides, I'm pretty sure I got a talent at level 4 with him as well -- now I'll have to double check.

Edited by Thessaly