Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New playable race

race subrace

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Race Poll Better One (54 member(s) have cast votes)

If there are gonna be added new content (in expansion or next game) for playable races what is you opinion about this ? (multi)

1. I would like to see new Elf race/ subrace (8 votes [10.67%])

Percentage of vote: 10.67%

2. I would like to see new Godlike race/ subrace (10 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. I would like to see new Human race/ subrace (2 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

4. I would like to see new Dwarf race/ subrace (4 votes [5.33%])

Percentage of vote: 5.33%

5. I would like to see new Orlan race/ subrace (1 votes [1.33%])

Percentage of vote: 1.33%

6. I would like to see new Aumaua race/ subrace (4 votes [5.33%])

Percentage of vote: 5.33%

7. I would like to see new Race inspired by D&D/BG/NWN/IWD (14 votes [18.67%])

Percentage of vote: 18.67%

8. I would like to see compleatly new race, or exotic rece (beast man) or other (say what) (15 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

9. Don't have opinion/don't care/other (17 votes [22.67%])

Percentage of vote: 22.67%

Shoud devs add new playable race/subrace to PoE ? (one choice)

1. Yes of course. I will be very disapointed if they don't add anything. (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

2. Yes i whoud like to see new races/subraces, but i will not be much disapointed if they don't add any. (9 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

3. Yes i whoud like to see new races/subraces, but only if devs decide that whoud be good. (4 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. Mayby, im not opposite if they add new race/subrace but im not looking for it to much (11 votes [28.95%])

Percentage of vote: 28.95%

5. Im mostly opposite agins adding new races/subraces, but if devs decide otherwise i will not cry. (7 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

6. Im aginst ading any new races/subraces and i will be disapointed if they add new ones. (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

What do you think about existing races ? (multi)

1. They shoud add some more cultures/orgins/backgrounds to them. (15 votes [18.07%])

Percentage of vote: 18.07%

2. They shoud change their looks a bit, at least some of them (say witch ones) (4 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

3. They shoud change their stats/abilitys a bitt. (9 votes [10.84%])

Percentage of vote: 10.84%

4. They shoud add some race specific cultures/orgins etc. (10 votes [12.05%])

Percentage of vote: 12.05%

5. They shoud add some new items that only specific races can use. (4 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

6. They shoud add some race specific talents or skills. (11 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

7. They shoud add some more backgroud to them, say something more about them show more they societys, towns, life style etc. (12 votes [14.46%])

Percentage of vote: 14.46%

8. They shoud add some subraces to them or even new races. (7 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

9. No their fine for me/ No they don't need to change or add anything/ im not interested/ don't have opinion etc. (11 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
The devs intentionally left the fine moral distinctions about good and evil as an argument for the players rather than themselves. I think this was entirely wise. Personally, I believe in good and evil. I'm not a moral relativist, but I also understand that it's possible to make cogent arguments for every scenario. I also believe that, while evil exists, there are usually feasible explanations that lead to grey areas. That's why, even though I'm one o' them ign'rant Christshuns, I appreciate the game leaving out the didactic moral intrusions in order to let me draw my own conclusions, especially since, in the world of computer game software, my backward Christian ways are certainly more complex and nuanced than what virtually always amounts to the blunt force approach by the devs.

I despise alignment systems and would gladly be without alignment in any form. However, I do appreciate characters who are able to express complex moral positions and make compelling arguments on behalf of such positions, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 911 posts

I like that PoE dont go for something like: "Paragon (give all your gold to the poor) vs Renegate (Kill everyone, and also make it painful)" but more Belovent vs Cruel vs Rational...

The best morality system in games is not telling player if choose wisely, just bring consequences (or not).

Back to topic:

Why i do not miss any particular race it would be fun to see some Adrafolks or Obsidianfolks. The characters which are like humanoids stones, alive statues.

I just think it is cool visually and as concept, no particular society behind it. However that could be done with some Godlike subtype, or with Sculpture Animant.

They could bind soul to statue on throne, binding it into movable statue is just one step more, and power of aniation is unlimited.

That would fall into category "Forgoten and mysterious race, which nobody hear of, aka circus runaway". Probably not good idea.

Edited by evilcat, 17 August 2015 - 04:16 PM.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't want a new playable race, preferring as I said that I would rather have the current races get more references during the game. However, while I would prefer not to have a new race, I don't mind a new race nearly so much as any race being inherently 'evil.' Now, I don't mind some races being inherently more 'hostile' or 'friendly' to other races. The game uses terms like 'benevolent' or 'rational' or 'cruel.' Those terms might imply 'good' or 'evil,' but do not explicitly claim them. In fact, as far as I've seen, any of those terms might be used as a tactic for objectives that could be considered either good or evil.

I don't want to have 'drow' that are in and of themselves 'evil,' confined by their very innate natures to act evilly. Even the most benevolent god in the pantheon went gonzo. While his aims may or may not have been good, his means were sometimes most certainly not always clearly benevolent. No angels or demons. Only beings that wade through the muck of life as best they can.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Whether the moral constructs known as good and evil exist in the PoE setting is a question about second-order predicates and how we apply the word "exist" (see also: Kant on the ontological argument).

All that said, there are things we can all agree are evil for practical purposes, like eating people,

Eating people is "evil" if you're human. If you are a lion who is starving, eating people is just a natural production of the survival drive and predatory instinct, and can't be considered "evil" because a lion is incapable of any sense of moral judgement. Sea otters will rape baby harp seals to death underwater then keep the bloating corpse around to **** with for days. Is this evil? Can a sea otter be a serial rapist?

Skie Nightfall

Skie Nightfall

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Unless they're going to update the original game's dialogue trees and lore... I rather they only add subraces rather than a whole races.

• gogocactus likes this

farleybear

farleybear

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd prefer it if race mattered more. Apart from character creation there really isn't any in-game consequences for race. It may as well just have one race with different cultures for all the impact they have.  

harels84

harels84

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

if it up to me i would add a few more races, or even more something that fits the companions in the game, for example aloth : in lvl 12 can become archmage and bind to himself a robe of the archmage that made from ivory and gold or maybe in level 14 he will have to choice between the path of the dragonborn or the path of the undead (only if he want to) , if he chooses the path of the dragon , out of his shoulders coming out a nice red wings, if he chooses the path of the undead he can do a ceremony that make him a lich wizard ... both i think can add a real flavour to aloth character...

i would add an half-giant race and thri-kreens , half-lizard , for the ranger i would add amazing companions such as : unicorn, hipogrhiff , gryphon...

something amazing like that...

RocketChaser

RocketChaser

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Races are so meh.

Cultures are more interesting, I'd like to see them expanding on those and the politics, tensions, prejudices and so on between those in following games.

Let's explore more of the world, have a game in Dreadfire or Old Vaillia or something.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: race, subrace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users