Torment Alpha has started *possible spoilers*

Luridis

I'm asking here because I'm sure there are others here who have backed it. I received an email for the alpha, but the links do not go to inexile-entertainment.com. Instead, they point to inexile.net, and I'm not sure if this is legit. The whois record reports a domain transfer in may of this year (inexile.net) and a server location in England.

Anyone hear about bogus emails related to Torment backers?

Cant EDIT: I changed the title to warn about possible spoilers. I know it's kind of like trying to stick our fingers in the dike, but I would appreciate it if folks would at least be care in our little corner of the net about spoilers. I know! I know! Good luck with that...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Yep, I can confirm it's started. "inexile.net" is one of their domains, confirmed by one of their developers.

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Pretty sure it will be better for most (if not all) people to wait at least until the beta or even until the release... unless you are really hardcore and want to report bugs and whatever. It very likely won't really be playable other than that.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

(EDIT): I'M STUPID. HAVE A GOOD DAY. :p

For some reason, I thought we were talking about a Beamdog Enhanced Edition of Torment. It pays to wait (and think) a little right after waking up from a nap. ;)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It's basically just a handful of conversations at the beginning of the game that is a character generator via in game dialogue. It is good about not breaking the fourth wall. It is close to the length of the first level of mortuary from PST, but smaller in actual area size, and it is all dialogue. You make choices that are derived from might, speed, and intelligence that will dictate your Castoff's Class (Glaive, Jack, Nano), and other character details.

EDIT: it is a memorable start, but not quite PST in that hopping off a slab to have a conversation with a floating skull is hard to top. However, I am definitely excited to see more.

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 2

Yes I thought it was maybe a touch too verbose, after all brevity is the soul of wit, but saying that the atmosphere and descriptions were all quite well written. I especially liked the fact that one could easily die in the freefall opening through making an obviously poor choice, nice touch of reactivity there.

I liked the organic character creation but felt that it maybe could have gone further, and be more natural than the self reflection within the orbs.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

@Nonek - By the end of the alpha you gain some attribute points and your "adjective" (Charming, Mechanic, mystic, etc. You don't get a "Noun" or class (Glaive, Jack, Nano) and neither do you get your verb. A character within the system follows the sentence where they are a "Adjective" "Noun" who "verbs". EG - I'm a Cunning(adj) Jack(noun) who wields a bow(verb) or a Mystic(adj) Nano(noun) who controls gravity(verb). So I definitely believe this isn't the entirety of character creation.

It is definitely wordy, but as a PST spiritual successor I don't know if that is a bad thing.

@Lexx - I haven't tried a game pad, but I expect that stuff to come post launch like Wasteland 2.

Edited by Ganrich

In my report after playing I made the suggestion that, while I do like the RP start, that it would become tedious on repeated play-throughs. Not to mention people sometimes restart several times at the beginning to try different classes. I suggested they include a menu type character builder to appear when tutorials are disabled.

• Like 3

@Luridis Seems very sensible.

Any combat at all? Seems like if they were doing an AST for a PS: T spiritual successor, the big thing to ensure was great this time around was the combat.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

@Luridis Seems very sensible.

Any combat at all? Seems like if they were doing an AST for a PS: T spiritual successor, the big thing to ensure was great this time around was the combat.

It was just a demo of character creation. The menu indicates there will be a small playable bit added later, which I will assume to contain some quests and combat.

I got my key and did the alpha, so I can also attest that it's ongoing. The area that they did is extremely small. No combat as Ganrich says, but it does let you play around. Mostly, it shows off dialogue and introduces what I have to believe are extremely important story elements. I was impressed.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The only option at the very beginning is male or female. Other than that, everything is handled through a dialogue system that makes stat distribution part of the story progression. It's much more interesting than, say, the Elder Scrolls. I was impressed with how they handled it. At the end, the alpha states that in the release version, there will be an opportunity to play with the values. The actual skin color and basic build of the PC seemed to be set at the beginning, but I'm not sure, based on how the beginning unfolds, whether that stays the same. However, while this is all cryptic, I was quite happy with the way it was done but I don't want to spoil the game for anyone.

I ask that folks try to use spoiler tags for things that give away plot points for the beginning. I mean, it *is* an alpha for a highly anticipated game and as such it will get a lot of press, but I'd rather folks get their first taste of spoilerage from elsewhere rather than here. After the cat's out of the bag from other sources, there won't be as much to worry about.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

That's very good to hear.

While organic ingame character creation sounds like a good idea, it usually fails to stay interesting by the 20th time you run through creation. There's a reason why everyone kept or distributed Oblivion saves right before the sewer exit, or why the BG2 mod "Dungeon Be Gone" is a godsend.

Nice to see that the game's doing well.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

It's hard to explain without giving out details, but the character creation is a lot like the Elder Scrolls setup, kind of like New Vegas in a way, but even more embroiled in the story in a personal sort of way. ...and it doesn't take long. I actually went through the process a few times because I *enjoyed* it. I was greatly impressed by the Alpha, and I haven't been following the development all that well. I just happened to approve a post in this forum and saw this thread. Between Wasteland 2 and what I've seen of Tides, I'm on the way to becoming an fan of the developer. I even joined the alpha forum, although I haven't actually read or posted anything there. This forum takes up enough time, let alone 2.

Obsidian Plays

Is it still possible to get in on the alpha or is that a KS exclusive reward? I'm really curious about the character creation but don't actually want to test anything

Hey, Shady, I can't link directly to their backer page because it's commercial in nature. However, I will link to the game page and it's easy to find their backer information there should you choose to do so. I'm at... Silver or something myself, but I'm also considering throwing more money at them. Mostly because I'm a big sucker, but also because I *do* think the game is looking pretty damned good!

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/game

• Like 2

Obsidian Plays

Is it still possible to get in on the alpha or is that a KS exclusive reward? I'm really curious about the character creation but don't actually want to test anything

Hey, Shady, I can't link directly to their backer page because it's commercial in nature. However, I will link to the game page and it's easy to find their backer information there should you choose to do so. I'm at... Silver or something myself, but I'm also considering throwing more money at them. Mostly because I'm a big sucker, but also because I *do* think the game is looking pretty damned good!

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/game

Thanks, I'm in now

Free games updated 3/4/21

Oh, just noticed the second novella is out already... Totally missed it. Downing it right now, hope I'll find the time to read it soon. The first one wasn't bad, imo.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Especially noteworthy as far as I'm concerned is that the opening dialogue (the really first few screens of text) was also voiced and *did not massively annoy me* by being so. This is probably the first time *ever* that has happened (I generally find fully voiced dialogues in text heavy games horrendously annoying and usually wish there was a way to tune it down to only the first sentence or so, I'm looking at you PoE and D:OS)

• Like 1