[Suggestion] Granades?

This is suggestion which could be fun or not.

Granades: Basicly traps which you can throw at enemies, and they will blow up their faces.

Short range (like 4m) but could be improved with talent.

Reasons:

- There is pleanty of traps in game, but playing with trap kitting is not very dynamic, maybe individual stealth will improve that. Anyway being able to reforge this traps into something useful would be nice.

- It could benefit classes with less potencial of creating aoe zone of death.

- Granades and molotov coctails are in setting scope (we have firearms, and bombards).

I have to admit that I'd rather not have grenades. We're on the slope where we're going to end up with lasers and plasma weapons pretty soon. I swear, the next NPC is going to be a mutant named Marcus! :Cant's only partially facetious smile icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I like this suggestion.

Mainly because traps are horribly ineffective currently.

Mid-level talent / high mechanics skill ability perhaps?

I was thinking to keep things simple. If life gives you lemmons dont take it, but make lemon granades from them, and throw it back in life face.

So we use Mechanic to craft granades, with standard requirment of a bit higher mechanic than trap level (it is harder to make granade than disable trap). Or we can buy some in our local dealer.

And then there is a talent to increase range for throwing granades from 4m to 8m.

And all trap related talents also works for granades in some way, like +40% effectivness for traps and +20% on granades, or +10 ACC for both.

Basic granade should probably be -5ACC thing. Avarage casting time.

Throwing granades does not require skill or talent.

Technology level

I am used to game settings mixing magic, technology, and medieval fantasy. So pistols, dragons, golems, artificial inteligence, suspicious magic devices running on souls is all ok. Even frost traps are cool.  Keep up good work.

Edited by evilcat

Pistols, arquebuses and blunderbusses shouldn't even have been in the game imo. For the love of god I hope they don't add grenades as well!

Why not?

Pillars of Eternity seems to take place in high middle ages which means somewhere between 13th to 15th Century. Flintlock weapons were introduced hundreds of years later in the beginning of the 17th Century. They totally break the immersion of the game to me but I learnt to live with it. Now if the devs decide to add grenades that'll be the final straw, I agree with Cantousent when he says we're on a slope from there on.

Pistols, arquebuses and blunderbusses shouldn't even have been in the game imo. For the love of god I hope they don't add grenades as well!

Why not?

Pillars of Eternity seems to take place in high middle ages which means somewhere between 13th to 15th Century. Flintlock weapons were introduced hundreds of years later in the beginning of the 17th Century. They totally break the immersion of the game to me but I learnt to live with it. Now if the devs decide to add grenades that'll be the final straw, I agree with Cantousent when he says we're on a slope from there on.

Pillars of Eternity seems to mix high medieval tropes with late medieval / Renaissance ones aplenty. There's not only firearms, but forms of cannon amongst the Rauatai (akin to how Western Europeans might have heard stories about Orban's bombard in 1453 - and, in fact, how 13th century Germans actually already knew about bombard technology); the Vailian Republics are clearly evocative of the Italian merchant empires, whose heyday stretched well into late Medieval times (16th century, for Genoa)...

So I don't think there's a problem here, really, it's more about your expectations (which isn't unfair given how many fantasy RPGs are just 'medieval'). That said, I certainly think adding grenades and all sorts of modern history-inspired weaponry will start to make things a mess. And grenades aren't really similar to traps in a gameplay sense, they are just non-magical AOEs. Maybe some kind of expansion of the crafting system for traps, making some of them throwable in combat?

• Like 2

Why not?

Have you ever heard of nafta throwers?

Grenades are viable and certainly possible in a place that can mix early powder grenades with magic.

I would not mind them as long as they are scaled properly.

No.  No grenades in the modern sense of the word.  However, IIRC, in either BG and/or IWD, there were fantasy style "grenade" like items.  They were things like potions of explosions and there was a lesser one with a much smaller radius, which were arguably like Molotov ****tails.  This sort of thing doesn't seem so horrible, particularly the lesser one.  IIRC, the potion of explosion was not unlike a single use fireball.

Why not?

Have you ever heard of nafta throwers?

Grenades are viable and certainly possible in a place that can mix early powder grenades with magic.

I would not mind them as long as they are scaled properly.

Naphtha is not nearly the same thing as a grenade.  It's an oil mixture and the early grenades would have been much closer to a weak molotov ****tail than what we think of as grenades.  The other important thing to remember is that black powder then was not nearly as powerful as black powder now.  They didn't know the best mixtures, etc.  Some of the earliest gunpowder weapons were gun powder packed in bamboo.  Obviously PE's world has better gunpowder than that, but it's not reasonable to assume that they're anywhere near American Civil War technology.

If people want grenade like effects (I personally don't care), I think throwable potions are a much, much better solution.  It's classic to the medium, far more limited than hand grenades, and makes sense given the atmosphere of the world.  However, if they were to appear, they should be limited (no fireball potions), and expensive.

I've already staked out my position of being against the slow movement towards more technology, but if they do expand weaponry, I'd hope they consider other things as well. Some of these ideas might not be feasible or even fun, but I think of them every now and then. So, before I get a lot of blowback to the effect of "How are they supposed to do that?!" I'll just point out that these are meant to be outside the box observations rather than hardcore pestering for features ideas.

1. Even in societies with a lot of fighting, people still spend more time in non fighting pursuits. Most of these things aren't the type of material for a CRPG, I know. I don't want the bed pan vs outhouse mini game or the middle ages meets renascence waste management subplot (although some clever writer might be able to work with it so it didn't end up as complete crap). The point is, have some non weaponry/non armor tech improvements also. Not a big deal, I suppose, but one that sometimes strikes me.

2. If you're going to have technology advancing, you're going to have a lot of accidents, mistakes, and misfires. Probably not easy to reflect in a CRPG without making the game more tedious, but when folks start talking about grenades, it makes me wonder why the firearms work as well as they do. All of this is dangerous stuff in today's world, let alone schlepping around an ancient flamethrower with sufficient fuel to feed the damned thing. I guess since we have an invisible Uhaul, it's not big deal. Just hope it doesn't throw out *too* much shrapnel when the several explosive devices inside of it explode. ...And for my purposes, it doesn't matter if those devices are grenades or potions of ass burning.

Which brings me to

3. I'd say, since it would be tedious to reflect some of these dangers very often in gameplay, simply put in some floating text, some flavor text, and some other small nods to the dangers of the new weaponry and then, this is the real point, flesh out the game world by making some of the technological advances part of important story lines. Don't just introduce grenades. Introduce the idea of some sort of thrown explosive device. They already have explosives. Someone's going to want to make them smaller and more powerful. The idea of making them throwable wouldn't be far behind. So have the PC hear about this new idea, not even as a quest but in some minor way. Then give him the opportunity to explore the idea more later. Finally, offer a quest-line that identifies the challenges, the dangers, and the rewards. It should be difficult, dangerous, but potentially quite useful. If the player takes some small part in at least some of the advances or even hears about them beforehand as rumors, then it won't feel so much like, "hey, look, these explosive devices just popped out of someone's arse clean and ready for use!" On the other hand, some technology will be a surprise to the player. The world should be a mysterious place where there are rumors of great things that are just wild and crazy, rumors of other things that have some basis in fact, and some things that jump out and slap the PC in the head. ...And maybe even piss off the player a little bit at the same time. <.<

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!