This is a great game, but ....

Not sure if OP is trolling....

Well, in case you're serious, if you want to play a game that's more like DA:O, wouldn't it make more sense to just play DA:O? Inquisition wasn't exactly a bad game. Why would you want more of what we already have?

All those things you mention are *exactly* why most people play PoE anyway. Back in the day Isometric test crawl was the norm for CRPGs. I will assume you're too young to remember. But we kinda want those days of great RPGs back.

Edited by LaSpeakeasi
  • Like 5

Yup, I love Origins. I like Inqusition.

I wouldn't want more games to be like Dragon Age. Especially since Bioware don't seem to know what they want Dragon Age to be like.

Variety is good. If you like Origins (and I won't object if you do), then just play that. PoE is exactly what it needs to be.

• Like 3

Well I did like DAO, and I'm enjoying the witcher 3, just like I enjoyed Pillars and Original sin. Thing is though, while they are all computer games there is a substantial difference between the 3d action games and the isometric games. Almost like watching a movie v reading a book. The differences are big enough that the fact they are all classified as computer games is really quite incidental. So if a company puts out a kickstarter for an isometric game there is a very real expectation of how the game will play. And 3d is frankly not even on the same planet.

Having said that, I think there is some room for improvement, certainly on the ai side. And divinity original sin while it was isometric had a very cool feature where you could rotate the camera slightly, mainly so you could keep an eye on the party members. It's too late for pillars though, but maybe they could implement in the sequel.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

If the devs ever decide that its time to level up engine i think that path of Divinty Original Sin is more interesting. Combining status effects for new results, destructable surrounding, movable objects, and more interactive background that is some serious magic.

3D in third person way have a problem that it leaves less space for tactical aproach if you use it. Imagine Mass Effect with 6 party members. Madness. And having big party is super cool, since we can pick classes/characters which are not only needed but just fun.

In DA:O i was anyway using a lot sudo isometric view.

But animations, especially finisher animation is something which draws my attencion.

But it is better to leave devs do their work. And if that is not enought even on this forum is enought ideas which would take pleanty of time to introduce, while not changing what the game is.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

And who says that game can't have isometric camera, full 3d, cinematics and good storyline and writhing ?

Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Warcraft 3, had full 3d isometrics and only writhing is speculative...

If technology from orgins, where used by obsidian then whoud it be one of the best games ? Expecionally with almost unlimited resorces, and Blizzard point of view "it's finished when it's finished"... Obsidian games to this time (i didn't played PoE yet so i don't know if also today) always besides BG and IWD series had plenty of bugs, and hae some strange point of view on some matters, for example anti-romance atitiude.. with is mystery to my why .... but they had deep worlds, good story lines, good writhing and always i coud call they games as "RPG"...

Biowere on other hand had less bug till DA2 (inquisition also), nice graphics, sometimes good storylines, and sometimes accepteble romances... but today thay went't crazy with them... and i in many times wondered "im playing RPG or Shoter ?"... In my opinion Obsidian shoud now after making PoE that was simillar to BG1 now shoud make PoE2 much more like BG2, hell if they make PoE with romances (hell even copy Jaheira and Viconia and im content) prestige classes/specializations or way more talents, adding bigger level (30 fo example), with a little better technology... in future i whoud even not consider in most wet of the dreams or most higher fever buing next Biowere game... expecionaly i want to play RPG not, hidden shoter like Inquisition was...

Edited by ChaosMaker90

Well I did like DAO, and I'm enjoying the witcher 3, just like I enjoyed Pillars and Original sin. Thing is though, while they are all computer games there is a substantial difference between the 3d action games and the isometric games. Almost like watching a movie v reading a book. The differences are big enough that the fact they are all classified as computer games is really quite incidental. So if a company puts out a kickstarter for an isometric game there is a very real expectation of how the game will play. And 3d is frankly not even on the same planet.

Having said that, I think there is some room for improvement, certainly on the ai side. And divinity original sin while it was isometric had a very cool feature where you could rotate the camera slightly, mainly so you could keep an eye on the party members. It's too late for pillars though, but maybe they could implement in the sequel.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I do like the micromanagement aspect of PoE, but would appreciate the ability to tweak A.I. in companions to allow them to be left alone if I - for whatever reason - wanted to concentrate on just one or two party members in a given encounter.  For future Pillars games the 'if>then' tactics that Origins and even DA2 allowed for would be greatly appreciated (although that is all I'd like to come across).  It would allow me to set a companion that needed no hand holding (i.e. Eder) to do his thing, while I looked after the squishier party members, or, alternatively, tell they squishies to stay safe while I took full control of the heavy hitters.  Not mandatory, of course, full micromanagement should always be the 'default' but if it were there I would consider it a highly appreciated addition.

Rotating the camera would also be greatly appreciated if possible in any future game.  Not sure if that would work in a fully isometric/2d game, though?

Rotating the camera would also be greatly appreciated if possible in any future game.  Not sure if that would work in a fully isometric/2d game, though?

No that wouldn't be possible and I'm glad it isn't. That would kill the feel of the game.

Ok, thanks - will live without it then.  I can only think of a couple of occasions where the action was blocked by an archway or similar, so no that big of a deal.

Origins was a great game. Maybe even a bit better than Pillars. It was a bit more polished. But pillars is also awesome and has so much potential.

DA 2 was garbage and i didnt even bother but it sounds like DA 3 was more of the same crap.

Original Sin I thought was buggy and weird. I didnt enjoy checking 200 vases and picking up random garbage that I had no idea what it was used for. When I got to the first city and started talking to the NPCs i started to dislike the game even more. I found it to be very weird, stupid and confusing.

Wasteland 2 was terrible. But Im curious to check out the game of the year edition when it comes out. It sounds like they have been working hard to make it into a game worth playing.

Origins was a great game. Maybe even a bit better than Pillars. It was a bit more polished. But pillars is also awesome and has so much potential.

DA 2 was garbage and i didnt even bother but it sounds like DA 3 was more of the same crap.

Original Sin I thought was buggy and weird. I didnt enjoy checking 200 vases and picking up random garbage that I had no idea what it was used for. When I got to the first city and started talking to the NPCs i started to dislike the game even more. I found it to be very weird, stupid and confusing.

Wasteland 2 was terrible. But Im curious to check out the game of the year edition when it comes out. It sounds like they have been working hard to make it into a game worth playing.

Man, from what you just wrote up... I dont understand why are you even on this forum.

It seems you dislike games like pillars.

Eder: 'Can I pet him?'

Man, from what you just wrote up... I dont understand why are you even on this forum.

It seems you dislike games like pillars.

I thought I wouldnt like it because the other indies/kickstarter games I tried were so terrible and overhyped. But Pillars is awesome. Pillars and Dragon Age Origins are the only single player RPGs Ive enjoyed in the last decade. 

You shouldnt say Original Sin and Wasteland 2 are like Pillars - that is pretty insulting to Pillars.

Edited by Kilburn

Dragon Age Origins was amazing. In almost every respect. If there is such a thing as the CRPG messiah, DA:O came the closest to it (suck it, Skyrim).

What followed it was a mess of cruddy redesign, simplification and vomit-inducing social justice spread over the course of two games, and more's the pity.

Divinity: Original Sin has fantastic game mechanics. Aside from two broken perks that should have never been (Glass Cannon and Lone Wolf) there is practically nothing wrong with the ruleset and its implementation. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING ELSE is wrong: static MMOish world right down to the weather, typical Divinity silliness that has to have stupid goofs at every turn, and the story that made me *yawn* *stretch* what was I talking about again?

POE tells a good story (so far), but the game mechanics are just... eh. I'll refrain from complaining too loudly on the author company's own forums, but I will say this: there's room for improvement. Significant room for improvement. Starting with making Might not the be-all-end-all stat that it is right now.

Bottom line? Nobody's quite got it yet.

I always find peoples' opinions interesting. I loved DA:O, liked Divinity:Original Sin a lot, and thought Wasteland 2 was fantastic (I played through to the end 3 times, to the end of Arizona 6 times, and part way through California 3 times - all in rapid succession). Sadly, I found Pillars to be just decidedly average. There were some great aspects to it, some really crap aspects, and it left me with an overall 'meh' impression. I don't regret backing it, and would back another Obs kickstarter in a heartbeat (but not at the same pledge level), but I did not find it came close to my expectations. I thought Wasteland 2 was far superior.

Tbh its a bit bad to compare games like DA to POE, considering they are really different games. I enjoyed both, maybe POE a bit more, but thats just because I like this kind of an RPG more.

I mean in the last few years, POE was the first game that I invested around 60-70 hours in (thats a lot for me), and that means something. Wishing that Obsidian keeps up the good work.

EDIT: just want to add that im that kind of a guy that rarely gives any criticism if the game is good, i just dont enjoy bugged and games that dont work properly :)

Edited by Spirtikus

I don't want 3d... I love the 2d rendered BGs, like in BG2 and IWD2. There are pleanty of 3d games if you want to play them... I liked might an magic but I want this game to be like the old bioware games... 3d isn't better than 2d

Thats true. As time passes I even like 2D games more then 3D, suits my eyes more and I dont need a PC that costs a bunch.

Guest FlorianGh

And who says that game can't have isometric camera, full 3d, cinematics and good storyline and writhing ?

Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Warcraft 3, had full 3d isometrics and only writhing is speculative...

If technology from orgins, where used by obsidian then whoud it be one of the best games ? Expecionally with almost unlimited resorces, and Blizzard point of view "it's finished when it's finished"... Obsidian games to this time (i didn't played PoE yet so i don't know if also today) always besides BG and IWD series had plenty of bugs, and hae some strange point of view on some matters, for example anti-romance atitiude.. with is mystery to my why .... but they had deep worlds, good story lines, good writhing and always i coud call they games as "RPG"...

Biowere on other hand had less bug till DA2 (inquisition also), nice graphics, sometimes good storylines, and sometimes accepteble romances... but today thay went't crazy with them... and i in many times wondered "im playing RPG or Shoter ?"... In my opinion Obsidian shoud now after making PoE that was simillar to BG1 now shoud make PoE2 much more like BG2, hell if they make PoE with romances (hell even copy Jaheira and Viconia and im content) prestige classes/specializations or way more talents, adding bigger level (30 fo example), with a little better technology... in future i whoud even not consider in most wet of the dreams or most higher fever buing next Biowere game... expecionaly i want to play RPG not, hidden shoter like Inquisition was...

Thank GOD for Blizzard because they continued to make great isometric games thus dictating other devs to keep it going. 

And also thank GOD for Unity and Kickstarter for the Renaissance of great RPG's.

Edited by FlorianGh