[2.0 beta] Proofing armor not working

MathieuG89

Question

I would like to report a bug with crush proofing an exceptional mail armor. I have enchanted the mail armor with crush proofing and it did nothing. Naturally, I looked on the character sheet to see if the effect was suppressed and it isn't. So why isn't the crush proofing stacking on the armor?

screenshot2.gifscreenshot1.gif

Edited by MathieuG89

8 answers to this question

Hi, I have uploaded the files you requested on dropbox. Here are the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7bz1zitizde8cx/2fd23ef25924491b86d0ce3559693a0d%2010345124%20BlackHammerSmithery.savegame?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ix9uokjauqbtv5r/output_log.txt?dl=0

I did some testing meanwhile with mail armor, fine mail armor and exceptional mail armor and I think something is wrong with them.

Here are the stats:

Mail Armor: DR: 9, Slash: 14, Crush: 5

Fine Mail Armor (+2 DR): DR: 11, Slash: 17, Crush: 6

Exceptional Mail Armor (+4 DR): DR: 13, Slash: 20, Crush: 7

Shouldn't they be the following instead?

Mail Armor: DR: 9, Slash: 14, Crush: 5

Fine Mail Armor (+2 DR): DR: 11, Slash: 16, Crush: 7

Exceptional Mail Armor (+4 DR): DR: 13, Slash: 18, Crush: 9

Also, whenever I add crush proofing (+3 DR) it only adds +1 DR to any of those armors.
Edited by MathieuG89

Hello again.  I did some additional testing as well, and all 'proofing' enchantments are broken.  Crush is only adding +1, while Burn and Corrode are adding +10.  A bug has been entered into our system and will be looked at by the appropriate team.  Thanks for your support!

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Hello again.  So as it turns out I've been corrected by my superiors.  Enchanting is working as intended.  Mail armor is weak against Crush damage, and therefore instead of having 13 DR against Crush to begin with, it only has 7.  Because it is weak to Crush it does not get Enchanted as highly because it is inherently weak to Crush.  I'm still confused on the issue somewhat as it isn't completely clear in the UI of the game, but have been assured that it is working as intended.  Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for the support!

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Why would it be written "+3 Damage Reduction (Crush)" when it actually adds "+1 Damage Reduction (Crush)" ? Same thing applies to the enchant screen where you're given the option to crush proof the armor for the same damage reduction. This is an obvious mistake. I understand that this type of armor is weak against crushing blows but the point of crush proofing is to minimize and try to counter that weak point. I would also like to point out that the skill "Second Skin" does not work with the armor either. This skill is supposed to grant +2 DR from wearing armor and it also only add +1 DR to Crush. I feel this is really unfair!

Hello again.  I understand the confusion.  The DR penalty for Crush on Mail armor is done at the very end of the calculation.  I will bring this to the attention of the proper team to see if anything can be done about the tool tips giving better descriptions when enchanting.  Thanks for your support!

DR is % based (yes, the UI is bad at communicating this.)

Mail Armor provides an overall DR value of 9 but it is weaker against Crush, offering only 50% of its DR value as protection against it (4.5, rounded up to 5 by the UI.)

When you enchant your armor to Exceptional, you add +4 to the overall DR value of 9, which becomes 13. Crush is 50% of that, or 6.5 (rounded up to 7 by the UI.)

Proofing is calculated as (13+3)*50%, which gives you 8.

So yes, proofing is more effective (and gets you more bang for your buck) if used on something the armor is already strong against. Kinda counter intuitive, but that's how it works.

It is working as intended, but the UI is exceedingly bad at letting you know (this has been an issue since release.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus