The White March expansion price revealed - $15 per part, $25 for both

Fair.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The level cap is going up by two per expansion, I believe. So it sounds like they are adding the equivalent of four character levels of content, compared to 12 levels for the base game. Might be a little pricy on that basis, but to me $25 is not a big deal really.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

$20 - $25 for an expansion was about what I was thinking. I don't remember what expansions cost back when the old IE games came out.

I seem to remember them being about $30.

I thought the XP add on was $25. Which begs the question, if you backed at a kick starter level that includes the XP, does this only provide for Part One, or do you get both?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I was honestly thinking that I would get it if it was 10$ or less, because that's how much the old Infinity Engine games for on GOG.

Call me crazy, but doesn't 15$ sound rather steep for what they're offering? I mean, it isn't exactly Mask of The Betrayer...

1aw3tiY.png

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&pagenumber=589#post448882134

$14.95 for Part I, $24.95 for both together (USD).

Part II requires Part I.

An expansion expansion?

As I understand this if you buy Part 1 it is 14.95 USD then if you decide to buy part II it is another 14.95.  If you buy both parts at the same time the total cost is 24.95 USD.  You will need part I in order to play part II.  You save $5 but Part II will not be out for eight months

according to report.

Edit:  Old game sell for small amounts because they are old games.   Over the past ten years I have been paying $20 for expansions so I don't think the price is unreasonable.   I value a game or an expansion on a one to one basis.  If I get 1 hour of play for $1 I pay I feel I have gotten my money's worth.

Corrected a price misposting error.

Edited by Nakia

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

$20 - $25 for an expansion was about what I was thinking. I don't remember what expansions cost back when the old IE games came out.

I thought the XP add on was $25. Which begs the question, if you backed at a kick starter level that includes the XP, does this only provide for Part One, or do you get both?

Both.    (And I believe it applies whether you bought it during the KS or as a late backer.)

The expansion will come in two parts, and backers who already purchased the expansion will receive both part I and II. We will be announcing the release date soon, but the part I is not in the far future.   (From the White March announcement)

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

I was honestly thinking that I would get it if it was 10$ or less, because that's how much the old Infinity Engine games for on GOG.

Call me crazy, but doesn't 15$ sound rather steep for what they're offering? I mean, it isn't exactly Mask of The Betrayer...

MotB was, if memory serves, 30 bucks when it was released. Not sure why you'd think this expansion should be the same price as a much older game offered on GOG. Note that the EE of the IE games sell for 20 bucks on GOG, which would be a slightly more fair comparison, although still off the mark, IMO

A simple Google Search will show you that the original Kickstarter's expansion add-on cost $20: http://project-eternity.tumblr.com/post/33543990284/project-eternity-add-on-list

So Kickstarter backers are getting a $5-10 discount (depending on whether the Steam buyer purchases just the first part or both).

Edited by Infinitron

As mentioned in this thread, it cost $20 to get the expansion during the Kickstarter. It is only fair that it costs more when bought later.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Remember Obsidian does not get the full price of the expansions they have to share with others that were not in the picture during the Kickstarter.  Marketing costs which didn't apply to the KS funding.   Same thing for the later group of backers.  We went by hope and hunger. :w00t:

nakia_banner.jpg

As I understand this if you buy Part 1 it is 14.95 USD then if you decide to buy part II it is another 4.95. If you buy both parts at the same time the total cost is 24.95 USD. You will need part I in order to play part II. You save $5 but Part II will not be out for eight months

according to report.

Why would it cost more to buy them together than separate? Also, where did you hear about that 8 month wait for part 2?

As I understand this if you buy Part 1 it is 14.95 USD then if you decide to buy part II it is another 4.95. If you buy both parts at the same time the total cost is 24.95 USD. You will need part I in order to play part II. You save $5 but Part II will not be out for eight months

according to report.

Why would it cost more to buy them together than separate? Also, where did you hear about that 8 month wait for part 2?
I think Nakia missed a 1 there. Should be "another 14.95" for part 2. The release date (March 2016) was taken from a German gaming magazine, check the White March News thread for the article.
  • Like 1

Thanks, Rosveen, for correcting my miss post and explaining about the announcement of the release date.  

People who are on limited income, Elderly, Students, unemployed or disabled may find it more advantageous to buy the Part 1 expansion then shell out for both parts.  Also people who don't like to buy a pig in poke.  I was hoping for December myself.  Of course I have already bought the pig but if it is a tasty as the base game I am happy.

nakia_banner.jpg

ToB for BG2 was $40 when it came out (same as the price of the base game).  I think $25-$30 for this expansion is a fair price.

ToB for BG2 was $40 when it came out (same as the price of the base game).  I think $25-$30 for this expansion is a fair price.

I don't know which vendor you went too but I played £19.99 for it (when it came out), which would have been around $30. I suspect ToB (including Watcher's Keep) had considerably more content too.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

So technically for backing up tier with first +expansion I will end up paying more... . Exp was +$20 so if I buy part #2 I will end up at $35 vs $25. If so then I will be disappointed.

Unless somehow this includes Part 1 & Part 2 (which would make sense since part 1 of expansion pack is just...a part of it)

EDIT: Nvm, found info that backers with expansion tier get both parts. So all's good.

Edited by Killyox

So technically for backing up tier with first +expansion I will end up paying more... . Exp was +$20 so if I buy part #2 I will end up at $35 vs $25. If so then I will be disappointed.

Unless somehow this includes Part 1 & Part 2 (which would make sense since part 1 of expansion pack is just...a part of it)

Backers who purchased the expansion add-on will receive both parts. We saved $5.
  • Like 2