Divinity: Original Sin 2, coming to Kickstarter on August 26th

Infinitron

"Considering the quality of the dialogue in the first game, I'd give a chance to the new system they're trying."

The quality of the dialogue had nothing to do with the system used. It had to do with the lack of skill of writing well. the new system won't improve that. Now, it just means, even if the writing skill improves, the writing system will suck and ruin it.

better to stick with the actual good dialogue system and improve the actual writing.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well they've had 15 years to improve their dialogue, so I'm not holding my breath. I don't actually mind the sometimes-silly extreme options being there, but there really should be more measured, moderate or non-committal options, so there's been a shortage of both quality and quantity of writing. That said, the way I played the previous game, it's no huge concern, either way it'll be a big multiplayer trollfest.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Their new dialogue system is silly. It doesn't look immersive. Still, the game has playable dwarves. L0L

You win some, you lose some.

At least I wasn't the only one who was like that.

In response to my NPC AI question he just said that "game play will take precedence" I don't think he understood what I was saying about overpowering NPCs and how that can ruin the point of a main character.

NPC AI?

What, you want the NPCs to pick from a pool of dialogue or something?

No I meant like...did you see my example of playing with a DM in PnP who throws NPCs into the party and those NPCs are always better,smarter,stronger, etc. than any of the players....like the DM is trying to play and DM at the same time and his characters always outshine or 'own' the regular players....

If you don't play much PnP you might not know what I'm talking about but well traveled PnP players will have probably seen this from a GM before.(unless you've just always played with good DMs)

"Hey Volourn at least Dwarves are in the game...on the video Swen said he doesn't like Dwarves though...thought that was funny."

More proof that inspite of making a good game he's a complete idiot. Now, I get to look forward to how he screws over dwarf fans. R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Hey Volourn at least Dwarves are in the game...on the video Swen said he doesn't like Dwarves though...thought that was funny."

More proof that inspite of making a good game he's a complete idiot. Now, I get to look forward to how he screws over dwarf fans. R00fles!

I was thinking that myself...as in...did they accidentally hit a home run with D:OS. Like close your eyes and swing hard type of deal.

(obviously the writing was poor)

Maybe they are just so crazy it's smart...lol

• Like 1

D:OS's weakest part was the writting, but it was for 10/10 in pretty much everything else. music, combat, interaction with npcs and the enviroment, freedom to deal with any situation as you saw fit, great variety of enviroments with an impact on the gameplay, the best pathfinding in any game ever... only the camera needed a little work

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

D:OS's weakest part was the writting, but it was for 10/10 in pretty much everything else. music, combat, interaction with npcs and the enviroment, freedom to deal with any situation as you saw fit, great variety of enviroments with an impact on the gameplay, the best pathfinding in any game ever... only the camera needed a little work

Yea and even then I don't think a perfect camera would please everyone.

I backed this at the Collector's Edition tier just because the rewards include a dwarven empire ale mug. That simply has to be the best physical reward idea ever. Who needs cloth maps, bring out the ale. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Backed too, obviously.

FWIW Swen replied to me in a PM on the kickstarter.

Hi,

Thanks for your question, it's a good one. We've been trying a new form of dialog for player input, and although it looks a little strange to begin with, we we've actually found that it makes it more immersive, rather than less so. If we gave your character a pre-made style of speaking, then you can only play in that one style, whereas if you have more general text, it's much easier to project yourself onto the character.

It's something that we're trying out for now, and may change depending on player feedback, but for now it seems to be working well.

I seriously hope it'll be changed. *threaten with bodily harm* is just not the same as "If you do not answer right now, your intestines will decorate that beautiful painting behind you."

Also I kinda hate their XP system, especially this one area where you have to reach a certain stone (to keep it spoilerish). 3 paths:

* Going through lava (requires good gear)

* Stealthing (freakingly hard! Invernable enemies)

* Straight out piss-easy combat

Now guess which is the easiest (yup, combat) and which gives about 15x the XP reward of the other paths. You got it right, combat again.

Really showed off the "you can finish it anyway you want" system has merid, except if you bind it to a crappy combat-XP system :/

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Backed too, obviously.

FWIW Swen replied to me in a PM on the kickstarter.

Hi,

Thanks for your question, it's a good one. We've been trying a new form of dialog for player input, and although it looks a little strange to begin with, we we've actually found that it makes it more immersive, rather than less so. If we gave your character a pre-made style of speaking, then you can only play in that one style, whereas if you have more general text, it's much easier to project yourself onto the character.

It's something that we're trying out for now, and may change depending on player feedback, but for now it seems to be working well.

I seriously hope it'll be changed. *threaten with bodily harm* is just not the same as "If you do not answer right now, your intestines will decorate that beautiful painting behind you."

Also I kinda hate their XP system, especially this one area where you have to reach a certain stone (to keep it spoilerish). 3 paths:

* Going through lava (requires good gear)

* Stealthing (freakingly hard! Invernable enemies)

* Straight out piss-easy combat

Now guess which is the easiest (yup, combat) and which gives about 15x the XP reward of the other paths. You got it right, combat again.

Really showed off the "you can finish it anyway you want" system has merid, except if you bind it to a crappy combat-XP system :/

Well it's good to see I wasn't going crazy with my thoughts and others have similar feelings.

It looks like they are pretty stuck on this so it would take some feedback at the very least so they are aware that people have actually noticed the difference. But it looks like we are in total agreement here as I think this style would be less effective for me personally.

Plenty of people also agreeing on Larian's forums. Hopefully they change before Alpha and if not well, it'll be easy to tell them then how we feel even if it sadly wastes precious time spend elsewhere :/

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Plenty of people also agreeing on Larian's forums. Hopefully they change before Alpha and if not well, it'll be easy to tell them then how we feel even if it sadly wastes precious time spend elsewhere :/

True I'll have to go check it out over there then.

I see his point and it makes sense to some degree but I think they may have taken the descriptions from PoE and interpreted it the wrong way.

Like it's totally fine to be like "you wipe the sweat off your brow as you approach the guard"... "let me in sir I belong to the royal family"

rather than "tell the guard you are tired and you want in"(which is the way it currently is)

See, I like the way they're doing it, because while my character might threaten someone with bodily harm, they wouldn't necessarily do so in a way that involves intestines or paintings. Perhaps my character is more of a leg breaker, or a "rip out you spleen and feed it to you" type.

I'm fine with either way, however.

On a separate note, I'm kind of curious how well this one will sell. I have a feeling that with the previous game being so successful, they might have a bunch of people who bought the first one look at the Kickstarter as a low price preorder, meaning sales when the game actually releases might suffer.

Edited by Vaeliorin

After watching the alpha footage in the DOSEE engine, I noticed that two PCs were dual-wielding. Does this mean DOSEE will have that?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

No MCA stretchgoal, let's hope it's still coming later in the campgian... One can dream and all that :)

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/637742423028838400

fwVJ5yv.jpg

Hmmmmmmm.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

No MCA stretchgoal, let's hope it's still coming later in the campgian... One can dream and all that :)

fwVJ5yv.jpg

Hmmmmmmm.

Yea....Divinity with MCA is going to eat the lunch of PoE anything...good god. How did they let this guy go?

Donald Trump bought Obsidian and said "you're fired" to MCA before going on a four hour monologue about how his hair is natural and how he cares for it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

fwVJ5yv.jpg

Hmmmmmmm.

Yea....Divinity with MCA is going to eat the lunch of PoE anything...good god. How did they let this guy go?

Donald Trump bought Obsidian and said "you're fired" to MCA before going on a four hour monologue about how his hair is natural and how he cares for it.

Honestly it's going to be hilarious when he actually gets elected and somehow becomes one of the best presidents ever.

All i see anymore is ****ty options when trying to elect an official anymore...Trump is so crazy it might work...like D:OS.

Like it seriously makes less than 0 sense therefore it's gotta work compared to the BS the extreme left and right has been steering us.

Edited by GreyFox