IEMod fork, new modding framework

andreacolombo, i want to ask which specific parts of IE mod do you need? and i mean, the core, CORE IE mod features that you can't give up. the real stuff.

for me it's the 25% slower xp progression, as it curves the xp rate almost 100% perfect in the current game, and the 1 tool-tip at a time.

i use stuff like all spells per rest, double slots on wizard grimoires for more tactical variety, cyan-colored circles, and engagement and recovery removed, and loot randomizer and i also always spec my UI a specific way, with the portraits in a vertical line on the left side of the screen.

but i can live without those features. for me, the only truly necessary ones are slower xp progression, and 1 tool tip at a time. the rest are conveniences. 

the way i see it, depending on what features it is you truly need there's probably way to get them as seperate modifications. all i want right now is a stand-alone xp mod and i'm content. 

• Like 1

Console commands would be my pick for stuff I can't do without.

I use many other things too, like cyan selection circles, disable engagement, movement recovery fix, etc.. But the show stopper than prevents me from installing 2.03 right now is console commands. I need them to test bugs and builds, so I'm not going to do without.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I really don't want to do without any of it.  I use most everything from the mod, not always with every group, but overall.  So it's fine that I can't afford the dl for 2.03 - that way I''m not losing IE Mod.

• Like 1

andreacolombo, i want to ask which specific parts of IE mod do you need? and i mean, the core, CORE IE mod features that you can't give up. the real stuff.

for me it's the 25% slower xp progression, as it curves the xp rate almost 100% perfect in the current game, and the 1 tool-tip at a time.

For me, it's the fast scouting and, to a lesser extent, the blue circles around neutral parties.  The super-fast and super-slow movement features are nice too, but not nearly as crucial for me.

Erik Harris

agreed, i am officially 100% sick of the slow ass scounting in my current 2.03 game. god i miss fast scouting. i'm gonna go dig up the original stand-alone fast scounting mod and see what's what, gonna message the author to see if resurrecting it is possible. 

chances of what i just typed happening are much more likely than ie 2.03 compatability, as the new ton of stuff added will be a ton of work for whoever picks it up now. the universal a.i. on/off button alone will be a huge PITA to integrate, as it has so much gui-related tentacles and code and agh. would require a complete overhaul of the gui modificatinon part of ie mod, at the absolute least.

btw, i use the console to change story npc stats to better reflect a different class that i sometimes give them, as i've already used them multiple times "legit", and changing attributes and changing class works just fine on 2.03 for me. adding items, adding abilities and talents and REMOVING them also work perfectly fine for me. i always, ALWAYS remove TA_The_Bones_Sleep summon ability from Kana as soon as i recruit him, just so his A.I. package doesn't summin the skellies instead of the phantom, like a fool. :)

You know.... the slow scout doesn't bother me.  I like taking my time.  I understand that others have the opp reaction though!  But that's one thing I do in any game (including MMOs - to the total disgust of most others) - I take my time and I look at EVERY CORNER.  In slow scout mode.

Games for me are exploration of unknown territory.  I channel Christopher Columbus probably - talk about a walk (eh, okay, a sail....) into a whole other world!  But that's actually WHY I play games - because discovering the unknown is FAR more involving than simply killing mobs.

I take my time and look at every corner, too, and that's why the slow scouting is so annoying.  I've already spent 130 hours in this game because I'm an obsessive completist when playing games, and I still haven't completed it once (I'm close, though...  I wanna finish Cragholdt, and then I'm off to the final confrontation). I love the exploration, but it doesn't need to be at a snail's pace. It frustrates me that the game encourages players to sneak full time, because it's the only way to find traps and hidden objects.  I'd rather they just based those searches on skills of traits (and I think perception would make a lot more sense than mechanics), and kept sneaking separate from scouting.

Obviously, I'm not criticizing or anything - everyone enjoys games a little differently.  Neither my way nor your way is "right" or "wrong."

Erik Harris

2.03's undocumented roll-back to beta build engagment threat zones sizes is bugged the **** out. i just reported it in the tech support forum w/ a video i took of gilded vale non-hostile villagers hitting me both from when i would move past them (DISENGAGEMENT ATTACK! SURPISE!) and also randomly walking and receving a Dis-Atk from off-screen.

LOL

the reason i know this is not something new is because of sensuki's video efforts.

i can't believe sawyer is so defensive of his alcohol fetal syndrome-baby, engagement, that he doubled down on it and slipped it in 2.03 undocumented! and to top it off... the same bugs related to his changes from the BB have come back! amazing really.

people! now more than ever before the ie mod is needed. engagement has to be disabled!

Edited by aweigh0101

Hello all,

Sorry it's been a while since I checked on this thread - work has been busy. Spring hasn't been around for a long while, so it's been just me. He was starting a framework to allow you to patch your own DLL. But while that would probably help with some of the mechanics when a new patch comes out (we wouldn't have to collect Mac and Linux DLLs), in practice the mod has broken in minor ways each time Obsidian updates it.  And not as in, the mod doesn't work in some small way that you could possibly tolerate - the patching process won't work until things are sorted out.

I have put up an alpha version that supports 2.03. I'm not currently playing Pillars of Eternity, and I plan to spend a good number of my hours in for a certain game that comes out next week. This severely limits my ability to test. That said, I have checked that at least some of the mods seem to work fine. Still, please be extra cautious if you decide to use it. There is one definite broken thing because dropdown menus have changed - the IEMod Options dropdowns all have their text scrunched up. That said, you can more or less figure out what to select. I will continue to check this thread every so often and will try to fix bugs as they occur. Providing a savegame is super helpful, as AndreaColumbo did when he reported an issue with stacking.

The reality is that this is a difficult mod to maintain. The game does not support modding - we're essentially overriding game code with some of our code. That means that every time Obsidian changes the code, the new stuff we put in is likely to break, even from trivial refactors. Many of the breaking changes in the base game that I've observed over the last few versions have been things that I wholly approve of: Obsidian coders cleaning up and improving their code in a host of minor ways. I really don't recommend anyone try to create a future mod this way except either a) on games that are  done with updates or b) expecting to spend a significant number of hours maintaining the mod. If anyone does want to step up and help with IEMod (requires good working knowledge of C# and ability to run a latest-version C# compiler), I'm happy to pass along access to the Nexus side for times when I might not be available. I'm also happy to walk people through how things work and help out with what knowledge I have.

Edited by tjayharvey
  • Like 5

tjayharvey,

I can't thank you enough for the work you're doing on the mod. You really have no idea how grateful I am.

I am also flabbergasted that you could fix my stacking issue so fast!

God knows I wish I could code so I could help with maintaining the mod. Unfortunately I have zero exposure to coding of any kind and must rely on the work of others. So thank you, thank you, thank you. A thousand times thank you!

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Thank you, tjayharvey!  Like you, I'm going to be immersed in a certain other game beginning next week, so I'm hoping to finish PoE this weekend, and that'll be more likely if I can sneak fast or use ctrl-fast and ctrl-slow modes to zip around a few maps I've already covered but need to tie up some loose ends in!

Erik Harris

tjay, you're a prince.  Only coding I've done (besides html and css) was years ago with mushcode.  I've never done any "real" programming.  Thanks for all your hard work, but I may just not use the mod now since it looks like it's going to be problematic throughout the PoE lifetime and game line.  Sad, but then again, I can't afford to download the patches anyway *shrug*.

Have fun with the new game, and best of luck to you in the future!

So, I don't know if this has anything to do with IEMod or if it's a bug in 2.03, but after completing a quest that gets me some more Durgan Steel, I went back up to the White March area, and saw two errors.

First, the map has a "missing maps" note on it for some reason.  I've attached a screenshot of that.

Second, I had forgotten which way the Forge went, so I entered on the Top floor instead of the Bottom floor.  When I did, the top floor had been reset. The fog of war was there, the ghosts were back, the enemies were back, the items were back, etc.  I exited the building and re-entered at the bottom floor, and it was cleared out as expected.

post-85490-0-99658100-1446945006_thumb.jpg

Erik Harris

^ fairly sure I've seen both issues reported in the main tech forum; they are both issues with the base game (the missing map note was introduced by patch 2.03)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New version out, this time around with a spiffy Mod Launcher so you can decide whether to play with or without the mod every time you launch the game. Kewl beans!

Thanks, Spring! :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

So I'm fairly decent at C# (mostly Web API stuff and console apps for parsing... you know, stuff) but never touched Unity or decompilers. I figure writing mods for PoE would be a good way to start. This framework seems to be the best way to start. Before committing to this I have a few questions though:

- The OP says we could, in theory, write _anything_ to add to PoE. Could I conceivably add a whole new playable class as well as talents and spells (re-using assets of the game for icons and animations, but adding my own logic to the abilities ?)

- A lot of the mods I found require to overwrite game files. I imagine that's when they modify existing code. Is there a better way to do this? Ie: extending/overwriting/overloading classes in a separate file? I figure it's probably a best practice to leave the base files untouched (I don't mind my mod being broken after a patch, I just don't want to break a user's game files). For instance in my previous example, if I want to add new Talents, can I do that and hook them up in the game without modifying other classes?

- The Nexus Mod page lists the IEMod Github repo, is it correct that the actual framework repo is here: https://github.com/GregRos/Patchwork

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb questions.

• Like 2