Agiel's all things military

Agiel

Former Giant Bomb duder Drew Scanlon tours a Ukrainian missile base museum as part of Cloth Map:

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Lockheed pays that much tax?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Reverse vampires?  They walk around in the day giving blood transfusions to the unsuspecting?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Reverse vampires?  They walk around in the day giving blood transfusions to the unsuspecting?

or, y'know, just regular people, most o' whom is diurnal and instead o' needing to consume blood to survive, their bodies actual create new blood constantly.  

'course a pole dancer with leukemia might be arguable nocturnal and requiring supplemented human blood to survive, but am doubting she would qualify as a vampire.  guess it depends on what is the essential characteristics o' the vampire... and perhaps how gene roddenberry woulda' handled the undead in the trek mirror universe.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Canadian Special Forces sniper in Iraq makes longest confirmed kill in history. 3450 meters with a TAC-50 rifle. .50 caliber over a distance of nearly 2.25 miles? He must have used some serious windage to complete that shot! Pretty good shooting eh?

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadian-elite-special-forces-sniper-sets-record-breaking-kill-shot-in-iraq/article35415651/

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Canadians going to be wanking over that for a while. Maybe they can add sniping gods to national mythos along with Vimy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Hey what's that sound?"

SPLAT

I'm surprised the projectile had enough momentum left to do the job actually. If that ISIS guy was wearing body armor he'd have a souvenir and a cool story to tell that no one would believe.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"Hey what's that sound?"

SPLAT

I'm surprised the projectile had enough momentum left to do the job actually. If that ISIS guy was wearing body armor he'd have a souvenir and a cool story to tell that no one would believe.

Hehe, actually it would be the other way around. The .50 travels at ~2800 fps (~1909.09 mph), which is faster than the speed of sound, so you would be dead before you heard the report. "If you can hear it, it has already missed you".

Well, let's think about this for a minute. 2800 fps is muzzle velocity. The bullet traveled 3450 meters, 11,300 ft rounding. It took 10 seconds to cover the distance so the average speed for the whole trip was 1130 fps. That's a little over super-sonic right there. Without digging too far into the physics  (like looking up bullet mass, cross-sectional areas, etc) and assuming wind resistance and drag was 0 (it wasn't) the bullet would have dropped to sub-sonic, 1116 fps, about 2/3 of the way to the target give or take. If it was quiet he might have heard it coming. Not likely since the sound would be behind the projectile rather than in front. And even if he did there wouldn't be enough time to react.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

At what range can we call it artillery?

I'd just call the sniper Artillery. "Hey, go get the guy. We need Artillery support." Dude busts in with a big howitzer silhouette on his chest or just a big stylized A and starts raining hot metal death from miles away.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Never mind

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

At what range can we call it artillery?

I'd just call the sniper Artillery. "Hey, go get the guy. We need Artillery support." Dude busts in with a big howitzer silhouette on his chest or just a big stylized A and starts raining hot metal death from miles away.

It's not even that far fetched. Some time back Steyr came up with a prototype AMR that actually used a couple of features usually found in artillery.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Iran targeted Star of David in ballistic missile test, Israel says

Makes you wonder what those IAF pilots thought when they bombed those SA-2 sites in 1967, 1973, and 1982. Image was recon image over Cuba, but the arrangement of the "flying telephone poles" around the Fan Song fire control radar along with roads for launcher reloads is ubiquitous of the system.

SA-2-Site-Cuba-090605-F-1234P-023-S.jpg

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

-Rod Serling

Rather interesting slide from a PLAAF seminar. It would seem that even they're not convinced of the tactical viability of the Herbst Manuever and Pugachev's Cobra. Translated:

Instructor: Why do you dogfight?

Cadet: Because I have super-maneuverability

Instructor: No, because you're silly

DD70EX3UMAAcbgJ.jpg

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2

-Rod Serling

This is it Gentlemen. The moment we have all been waiting for. The United States of America is now considering a sixth branch of the US Military. A branch dedicated to extra-plantetary operations. A Space Corps. https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/5/15905018/space-corps-air-force-rogers-house-senate-armed-services

We have trained for this. We have waited for this. Now the moment has come. The moment when this:

161810.39604764.jpg

is about to become a real f-----g career choice! God Bless America!

We have even commissioned proofs for our first Space Corps recruiting posters:

78c5c6134824183d5cadd29990383a6a.jpg

&

1eef47a7b97eb131c8b01d8c66518d12.jpg

And some of you may be wondering how a nation whose previous Presidential Administration has cancelled their manned space program and shut down all development of heavy lift launch vehicles can even consider military operations in space when it can't even launch it's own satellite's into space. To them we say: "Shut up! Don't screw this up with your s----y little details!"

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Trump did something decent in this video but I want you guys to pay attention to what the Marine does: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/watch-trump-stops-to-pick-up-and-return-marines-hat-blown-off-by-the-wind/article/2628087

I'd buy that Lance Corporal a beer. THAT is how you hold the position of Attention.

Thomas Sowell

Personally, I'm against the militarizaton of space as in sending troops up, but even I have to admit that it'll happen eventually at some point. Besides, we technically already have since many of our pioneering astronauts were drawn from the ranks of Air Force test pilots

Also, it's not much more than a new beuraucratic division atm and technically the Air Force already has a space division (which is why they're against it I think, plus probably thinking 'we control everything above the atmosphere too!'). It'll be a long time before we see actual space marines duke it out on some space (or moon or other planet) battlefield.

Trump did something decent in this video but I want you guys to pay attention to what the Marine does: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/watch-trump-stops-to-pick-up-and-return-marines-hat-blown-off-by-the-wind/article/2628087

I'd buy that Lance Corporal a beer. THAT is how you hold the position of Attention.

I half expected the marine to say 'thanks sir" and "don't worry about it sir". But what do I know, I'm only a civvie.

Rather interesting slide from a PLAAF seminar. It would seem that even they're not convinced of the tactical viability of the Herbst Manuever and Pugachev's Cobra. Translated:

Instructor: Why do you dogfight?

Cadet: Because I have super-maneuverability

Instructor: No, because you're silly

DD70EX3UMAAcbgJ.jpg

I suppose their philosophy is to avoid a dogfight in the first place?

Edited by smjjames

Also, it's not much more than a new beuraucratic division atm and technically the Air Force already has a space division (which is why they're against it I think, plus probably thinking 'we control everything above the atmosphere too!'). It'll be a long time before we see actual space marines duke it out on some space (or moon or other planet) battlefield.

Oh I'm just having a little fun with this story. In all seriousness this is, at best, an impossible solution to a problem that does not exist. At worst it's a 9.9 on the Absurd-O-Meter.

Thomas Sowell

Oh boy, that just gave me a flashback.

Early basic training, standing attention at -20°C, sniffling somewhere behind me. A sneeze. The following exchange, imagine it with the appropriate amount of yelling and all (paraphrased and loosely translated and all):

"No moving while standing at attention! I don't care if you have to sneeze or if a hornet flies right up your nostrils and screws your nose."

"Okay."

"No talking either idiot, and even if you were allowed to address me right now that would be 'Yes, sir!' and not 'okay' dammit!"

"Oh, okay."

Cue push ups for everyone.

Eh, when I first saw Full Metal Jacket I laughed at Gomer Pyle. Actually having one as your bunkmate is much less fun.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.