Heya I started playing some POTD, Trial of Iron on a new wizard.

I mostly had success with it and my plans worked for the most part (though the higher defenses basically made it like hard and me not using eldritch aim) there was a lot of trial and error.

I beat many sets of shadows and shades solo with level 4 fire-godlike wizard aswell as skuldr's and they're kings, Id usually blast em all with my spells and kill most, but a few would still be alive and I'd outlast them and finish them mostly with envenomign strike.

Or keep lvl 1 speed potions to just run away and rest finish the rest of the fight.

The thing is I can tank amazingly hard at those levels for a time, but if I get stuck and can't escape but feel i can still outlast them any way, the health mechanic always cripples me.

Like I had the rygenars cloak or whatever and shades were just doing not enough damage to outdo its healing but eventually they did so much dmg that it was just my health damage and I couldn't outheal it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the main question

I find this happening lot, and I eventually just become doomed, is there any way to off-set health damage? to reduce it? methods of healing it and ect?

Use "Infuse with Vital Essence" on your Wizard. The health loss during combat will be substracted from your bonus health first. If the spell ends and you have not lost more than this bonus amount of health, you will be still at 100% health. It's not a big buffer bit maybe it helps.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Now that you're playing PoTD I feel we can start comparing notes apples-to-apples. I apologize for coming down so hard on you before.

I actually started a PoTD solo with a Moon Godlike wizard and expert but not Trial of Iron. Moon and fire both seem like solid choices, but I'm starting to think maybe fire is better for fighting spirits.

The only way I know of to prevent death from loss of health is the priest spell Barring Death's Door. As usual, the wiki description is outdated. It only prevents death from loss of health, but it lasts longer. But since you're soloing, make sure to have Bulwark of the Elements up when fighting spirits or, well, anything that deals elemental damage.

In my play through I tried to tackle Caed Nua at level 4. I was able to clear a path with some pretty easy fights around the perimeter, but then in the main hall, I haven't been able to beat those spirits. What gets me are the phantoms that perma-stun me. Slicken tends to miss or graze even with Eldritch Aim. In one attempt I killed the shadows and got two phantoms very low after two Fan of Flames casts, but very low was not low enough when they then started to perma-stun me. I'm thinking a figurine might make a huge difference, but I'm very low on gold on this solo run compared to with a full party, and I don't want to cheat. Do YOU have any tips? lol

Edited by Nobear

Use "Infuse with Vital Essence" on your Wizard. The health loss during combat will be substracted from your bonus health first. If the spell ends and you have not lost more than this bonus amount of health, you will be still at 100% health. It's not a big buffer bit maybe it helps.

Yeah I already do, thanks, thats still good advice though.

In my play through I tried to tackle Caed Nua at level 4. I was able to clear a path with some pretty easy fights around the perimeter, but then in the main hall, I haven't been able to beat those spirits. What gets me are the phantoms that perma-stun me. Slicken tends to miss or graze even with Eldritch Aim. In one attempt I killed the shadows and got two phantoms very low after two Fan of Flames casts, but very low was not low enough when they then started to perma-stun me. I'm thinking a figurine might make a huge difference, but I'm very low on gold on this solo run compared to with a full party, and I don't want to cheat. Do YOU have any tips? lol

Honestly I don't tend to use slicken, I wanted to but It just seems like a waste of a spell, because even if u cc em you still gotta kill em.

My tips would be these, Firstly for damage and defense, using eldritch aim and concelhaut's corrosive siphon not only lets you do TONNES of damage (as dots penetrate ALL DR) but lets you tank very very hard.

Secondly and this is a good one, if you use just ONE weapon, you'll get a high boost to Accuracy as your off weapon, get one weapon (with as much accuracy as you can) and the second Talent I get is "envenoming strike" its a dot that starts at like 60 RAW damage over 10 secs, its very powerful, and a good killer for strong enemies you just can't get down, and really makes up the difference if you got melee struggles.

I sold gaun's ring at the start to heodan (nets you 1600 gold) and pretty much everything else I had as he buys for tonnes, also I'm on GoG verison so no achievements, so I don't really mind taking all the companions and taking all their stuff then selling it then dumping them, as I'm still soloing and I'm not gonna get some little virutal badge anyhow.

I bought the Animat Figurine, but level mechanics first hard, if you get to defiance bay as fast as you can, in the valian embassay there is a high level locked chest with the obsidian lamp figurine (it summons 3 shades)

Making potions of eldritch aim, wizards double and fleet feet (aswell as using fleet feet and aim as spells if u can't make em) is very useful, you don't have to completely do every fight at once, for example if you fight 3 shades.

A good way to be REALLY tanky early is to have 18 perception, 18/19 resolve, a hatchet and a medium shield (enchanted as high as you can as your main weapon) but not only using arcane veil during this if you need to tank, but WIZARDS DOUBLE right after this, this is 90+ deflection and its immensly strong.

(also in regards to racials I think the god-like ones should be stronger (except moons that is really strong) due to what they are, it seems they are ment to be, but they arn't even that strong sadly the rest kinda suck besides Moon's but I like the idea behind fires at least, but honestly humans id say is the best for PoTD, their racial below 50% + an eldritch aim is like a gaurentee'd full hit)

Lastly all fights don't need to be done at once, if you fight 3 shades and they summon all those shadows and u kill two but just know u can't finish the last one, use a potion of fleet feet and just run away, then camp and go back and finish it.

Edited by alexis13
  • Like 1

I had the health problem with low level paladin (1).

Believe it or not it is caused by too low accuracy and fights taking too long.

As soon as 2.00. is out you won't be having that problem anymore but thats probably too late for you.

I can only advise not to kill all monsters if its not absolutely necessary for quest or loot.

Or come back later and stronger.

I had the health problem with low level paladin (1).

Believe it or not it is caused by too low accuracy and fights taking too long.

As soon as 2.00. is out you won't be having that problem anymore but thats probably too late for you.

I can only advise not to kill all monsters if its not absolutely necessary for quest or loot.

Or come back later and stronger.

Yeah I know, but I think I will because even with 15+ from eldritch aim im still getting some misses and stuf fon POTD not sure the max perception will make a diff, wish there was some items that gave accuracy.

Or honestly it be cool if +might just gave accuracy, the + healing isnt really needed, all the heals in the game do enough.

Edited by alexis13

Secondly and this is a good one, if you use just ONE weapon, you'll get a high boost to Accuracy as your off weapon, get one weapon (with as much accuracy as you can) and the second Talent I get is "envenoming strike" its a dot that starts at like 60 RAW damage over 10 secs, its very powerful, and a good killer for strong enemies you just can't get down, and really makes up the difference if you got melee struggles.

Thanks and I like your advice in general. This has probably been answered before, but do we know that spell accuracy is based on the accuracy of the weapon equipped, including a weapon focus and the natural one-handed (without shield) advantage?

One thing that has been confirmed to me before is that the conjured weapon temporarily replaces the weapon you had equipped, so your normal weapon's stats don't affect your conjured weapon. Even so, if a single accuracy-enchanted one-hander would increase my spell accuracy for landing a slicken, concelhaut's corrosive siphon or whatever before conjuring my weapon, I would definitely try this out as an alternative to hatchet and shield.

By the same token, if the accuracy malus of a shield above small applies, it seems this setup would only be good if you're casting only self buffs before meleeing with your conjured weapon, yes?

I'd also like to ask what your stats are. I'm thinking maybe I don't need such high Int, but I do like having long self-buffs. Thoughts?

Edit: I thought I remembered a thread where factors affecting spell accuracy had been discussed. Here is one guy saying weapon accuracy (like a rapier bonus, a gun malus, or an enchant) does not affect spell accuracy. This is just one guy's word, though. Any links or evidence to show the best of our current knowledge about factors affecting spell accuracy?

Sorry I've kind of derailed this thread. I think we've answered the OP's question as well as it can be answered (even if that's no answer), but I can start a new one.

Edited by Nobear

Ok, I just tested it out myself, and confirmed what the guy said in the other thread. I used Minoletta's Minor Missiles on a Shadow just to test it out.

At level 4, the weapon accuracy listed on my inventory screen with an unenchanted hatchet and small shield is 29. The spell I used grants +10. The accuracy value listed in the combat log was 43. I'm going to hypothesize that you gain +1 spell accuracy per level on top of the amount increased according to your inventory screen, but this is just a hypothesis that would explain the number 43 at level 4.

I then retested after removing the small shield, so that I only had the unenchanted hatchet in my main hand. The combat log still listed my accuracy as 43, even though the number in the inventory screen had gone up to 41 (+12 natural one-handed bonus), suggesting that this bonus had no effect on spells.

I retested again with a Fine arbalest equipped, which gave me 33 accuracy in the inventory screen, but the combat log still listed the same 43 for Minoletta's Minor Missiles.

Two things I haven't tested yet are weapons whose base form has an accuracy boost (like daggers and rapiers), and whether the accuracy malus of shields larger than small shields affect spells. If not, I think i'll be enchanting the Larder Door I recently got and using that. It might be one of those times where my OCD tendency to collect unique items, and magic items other than simple enchanted armor/weapons, actually comes in handy.

Edit: While testing this, I did come across something odd: I missed with a 41 roll, which should have been a graze. IDK if the "real" numbers are different from what the combat log is reporting or what, but I'll file a bug report when I get the chance.

Update: The above 41 miss was because the Shadow was teleporting. Also, I've confirmed that the accuracy penalty of large shields DOES affect spells. So to sum it up: weapons can't increase your spell accuracy, but medium/large shields can DEcrease it. Great. Ok, so hatchet and small shield was a good choice after all!

Edited by Nobear

I'd think that'd gimp your focus regen too much for a cipher, or is the focus gain from retaliation items more than enough? I haven't tried it yet, but heard about it and it sounds cool.

We are both soloing PoTD with melee mages. He's fire and I'm moon godlike, so no distant advantage. The damage of Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff was cool at first, but I'm looking forward to some DPS upgrades. I want to try out Sanguine Plate (assuming I can solo that fight LOL), and ultimately I want to see Spirit Lance in action and see what the fuss is all about. In the meantime we're using some spells like Chill Fog for AoE, and alexis recommended Corrosive Siphon which is cool.

I think I'm prepared to take Caed Nua now. I didn't think I'd be ready to solo enough of Raedric's Hold to make enough money for the Bronze Horn Figurine, but I just did, so I'm coming in!

I've found the concept of a melee mage interesting, but for my full party run I went with Aloth as ranged. Alexis talked about how fun they were, so ultimately I went with one for my first solo run. Probably not the easiest choice for a first solo, but I'm liking the challenge!

Thanks and I like your advice in general. This has probably been answered before, but do we know that spell accuracy is based on the accuracy of the weapon equipped, including a weapon focus and the natural one-handed (without shield) advantage?

One thing that has been confirmed to me before is that the conjured weapon temporarily replaces the weapon you had equipped, so your normal weapon's stats don't affect your conjured weapon. Even so, if a single accuracy-enchanted one-hander would increase my spell accuracy for landing a slicken, concelhaut's corrosive siphon or whatever before conjuring my weapon, I would definitely try this out as an alternative to hatchet and shield.

By the same token, if the accuracy malus of a shield above small applies, it seems this setup would only be good if you're casting only self buffs before meleeing with your conjured weapon, yes?

I'd also like to ask what your stats are. I'm thinking maybe I don't need such high Int, but I do like having long self-buffs. Thoughts?

Edit: I thought I remembered a thread where factors affecting spell accuracy had been discussed. Here is one guy saying weapon accuracy (like a rapier bonus, a gun malus, or an enchant) does not affect spell accuracy. This is just one guy's word, though. Any links or evidence to show the best of our current knowledge about factors affecting spell accuracy?

Sorry I've kind of derailed this thread. I think we've answered the OP's question as well as it can be answered (even if that's no answer), but I can start a new one.

Nah spell accuracy isn't based off weapons at all and thank **** it isn't, I use hatchet and shield as my main and  +accuracy single weapon for my envenoming strike then switch back, as I said it STARTS at 60 RAW damage and gets higher as you level, it can REALLY put a dent in a shade early.

(If you scroll over your spells you'll see their independent accuracy and you'll see changing weapons does nothing for it)

I dunno about that, I'd say moon is by far stronger than all other god-likes and races, I think the other god-likes need hefty buffs to equalize them, I made a level 7 monk adventurer just to see how much the racial got and it was healing him 207 endurance by level 7 max might/con =/  thats like 3 of those wing slames from the adra dragon completely negated if u can survive it with at least 1 hp each time.

As for the conjured weapon, I don't use that to envenoming strike since its less than a rapier for instance as the staff is two handed, but yeah I still use it from time to time as it is strong.

My int's just 12, and I only have that so I can get an extra +2 to get 14 for an extra spell cast (because I use IEMod) without that I think I'd just sit at 10, I think the + duration on stuff from int is HIGHLY overrated, even 18 int you are only gonna get 1 more tick thats from concelhauts and thats just not worth for me.

Though if you arn't into raw damage or feel 24% more isnt even that much I admit I've thought of maxing int over might, but it doesn't effect the ray of fire or ray of frost, its like 1 more tick for concelhauts, all buffs last 45 seconds which is pretty huge anyhow imo.

WIthout IEMod my stats would be.  18Might, 10Con, 3 Dex, 18 Perception, 10 Int, 19 Resolve.

But because I do have IEMod its 16 might and 12 int.

My main character on hards got 18 con, and I dunno I'm considering that again seeing how I keep getting my health wrecked, its not an easy choice thats for sure.

Edited by alexis13

I've found the concept of a melee mage interesting, but for my full party run I went with Aloth as ranged. Alexis talked about how fun they were, so ultimately I went with one for my first solo run. Probably not the easiest choice for a first solo, but I'm liking the challenge!

I dunno, If you actually plan to fight your enemies and not just sneak by em like a rogue I'd actually say its one of the easier ways to actually do things and match the might of your enemies at low level, with the right spells and using them correctly.

WIthout IEMod my stats would be.  18Might, 10Con, 3 Dex, 18 Perception, 10 Int, 19 Resolve.

lol my stats are way different, they are 18/3/20/3/17/17. I guess having that additional deflection, health and fortitude would make me tankier, but I have Arcane/Hardened Veil. The 17 Int does bring Arcane Veil and Eldritch Aim up to 13.5 sec which is something (considering I rest a lot and use Arcane Veil on every remotely challenging fight, twice on some), but perhaps those points would still be better spent on tanky stats.

I do like my 20 Dex, and I attack slow enough wearing plate even so. As I say, I want to try out Sanguine Plate. You went for Vengiatta Rugia on Hard IIRC. What type of armor are you wearing on PoTD?

Hmm... to restart? Eh I think I'll see how far I can get with my build. It's kind of glass-cannon-y except for the resolve (which is also partly a DPS stat because of interrupt avoidance), but I figure with such high boosts to defenses from spells... we'll see I guess :D.

Edit: I guess it would be pretty dumb to restart now anyway. The 2.0 beta should be coming to GoG any day now. If I get stuck and want to change my build, I could just respec to something that makes more sense with 2.0's changes, which definitely won't include dumping Con and Per :p.

Edited by Nobear

lol my stats are way different, they are 18/3/20/3/17/17. I guess having that additional deflection, health and fortitude would make me tankier, but I have Arcane/Hardened Veil. The 17 Int does bring Arcane Veil and Eldritch Aim up to 13.5 sec which is something (considering I rest a lot and use Arcane Veil on every remotely challenging fight, twice on some), but perhaps those points would still be better spent on tanky stats.

I do like my 20 Dex, and I attack slow enough wearing plate even so. As I say, I want to try out Sanguine Plate. You went for Vengiatta Rugia on Hard IIRC. What type of armor are you wearing on PoTD?

Hmm... to restart? Eh I think I'll see how far I can get with my build. It's kind of glass-cannon-y except for the resolve (which is also partly a DPS stat because of interrupt avoidance), but I figure with such high boosts to defenses from spells... we'll see I guess :D.

Edit: I guess it would be pretty dumb to restart now anyway. The 2.0 beta should be coming to GoG any day now. If I get stuck and want to change my build, I could just respec to something that makes more sense with 2.0's changes.

Remember resolve and perception give deflection, thats really the most important thing, On my main I've got exactly 104 passive deflection and thats not even optimized.

On this POTD wizard by the time I'm the same level (11) I should have like 125-133 passive deflection, using llengraths displanced buff thats 158 passive deflecton, not even adding the llengraths other spell (safeguard) for another 20+ to all defenses (178), and arcane veil for emergeancies **** hardened veil then =D

heck I could even just use wizards double instead of lengraths displaced image for 188-198 buffed deflection, cause even though its only for 1 hit, at that amount I don't think anyones ever gonna hit me.

So yeah basically that all be with 1 minute buffs, I play for long fights and longevity like soloing the adra dragon, 26 secs from arcane veil just aint enough for that.

Edited by alexis13
  • Like 1

JFYI

in 2.0 Perc gives accuracy, not deflection and deflection in general takes a hit.

Thanks for pointing that out for any new players who might not be aware. Personally I am, and realize my build will change with 2.0, but I will also be able to respec at that point. Unless the synthetic tank spells that temporarily increase Deflection and other stats are getting a nerf, I'll probably prioritize Per higher in 2.0, not lower. Dumping Con will also be more significant. Overall, I think Alexis's build will actually become more attractive to me in 2.0.