Steam version won't start (Win 10, non-beta)

ThePrecious0ne

Question

Hi, all, posted this on Steam, but wanted to ask here as well.

When I start up PoE in Steam the window pops up saying it is preparing to run the game as per normal, then simply nothing happens.

I am on Win 10 with the latest updated nVidia driver. I have deleted the entire installation, rebooted, then reinstalled. I've validated the files integrity. I keep the game up-to-date. Installing the Beta hasn't made a difference either way. I've also installed the GOG version, and it runs fine, so it is steam-specific.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

15 answers to this question

You should post your dxdiag files and the log file of Pillars.

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

System Specs

This will give us most of your computer specs to help us diagnose the problem

Windows Location: Press (windowkey + R), Type "dxdiag" and press Enter, Click "Save All Information", Attach the file that you create

• Like 1

Seems the game crashes early on, when it tries to initialize the graphics driver.

Not sure if you run steam in big picture mode or if steam overlay mode is active. Maybe try to disable that. (E.g: steam -> setting -> in game -> enable steam overlay)

• Like 1

Seems the game crashes early on, when it tries to initialize the graphics driver.

Not sure if you run steam in big picture mode or if steam overlay mode is active. Maybe try to disable that. (E.g: steam -> setting -> in game -> enable steam overlay)

Not running in big picture mode, and I have overlay turned off. I tried turning it back on, exited steam, restarted steam with it enabled, same thing happened. No change in the output.txt. I"ll try a full uninstall, manual deletion and reinstall to see if that helps. Should I delete my savegames?

Hello, all.  There is currently a known issue with Unity on Windows 10 that is affecting other games as well.  I suggest trying to run your game in a compatibility mode for the time being.  Keep in mind that any time a new OS hits there are going to be issues and growing pains.  Thanks for your support.

• Like 1

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Hello, all.  There is currently a known issue with Unity on Windows 10 that is affecting other games as well.  I suggest trying to run your game in a compatibility mode for the time being.  Keep in mind that any time a new OS hits there are going to be issues and growing pains.  Thanks for your support.

Thank you for the update.

If it's a unity issue, then the devs from the Unity3D Project need to fix this. Obsidian can not tell, if and when a fix is ready. Unity 5.2/5.3 which is announced for next month / end of the year, added Windows 10 features. http://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap/

It seems other people here have no issues with Windows 10. So it might be a specific issue and not a general one.

Hello again.  What Aurelio is saying is correct.  I have no time line at all as it is not our bug.  Unity will have to fix it before we are able to get a chance to even test fixes on our end.  Thanks for your patience and support!

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/