RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Someone needs to remake Basewars. One of my favorite games as a kid.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Most people here have probably already seen this, but I missed it on the Obsidian news page.

Pillars of Eternity has sold over 500,000 units worldwide! It's a big day for Pillars of Eternity and the fans that helped make it possible! From all of us on the Pillars team to all of you who have enjoyed the game: THANK YOU!

From our beloved CEO, Feargus Urquhart, "Pillars of Eternity has been a life-changing experience for me, and for everyone involved in its creation. Knowing that over half a million people have gotten to share in that is both flattering and humbling. I want to deeply thank all of our fans and supporters. We can't wait to share what we've got next for the world of Eora!"

Most people here have probably already seen this, but I missed it on the Obsidian news page.

Pillars of Eternity has sold over 500,000 units worldwide! It's a big day for Pillars of Eternity and the fans that helped make it possible! From all of us on the Pillars team to all of you who have enjoyed the game: THANK YOU!

From our beloved CEO, Feargus Urquhart, "Pillars of Eternity has been a life-changing experience for me, and for everyone involved in its creation. Knowing that over half a million people have gotten to share in that is both flattering and humbling. I want to deeply thank all of our fans and supporters. We can't wait to share what we've got next for the world of Eora!"

I wonder what they were expecting internally

500k units in 7 months isn't bad by any means but I dunno... I guess I was expecting more

Free games updated 3/4/21

During the Kickstarter period, either Feargus or a producer stated that preorders account to roughly 10% of initial total sales. Based on the 74,000 backers, they're off by that projection by quite a bit. But still, Obsidian is turning a nice profit from this.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It will really only be a "success" if it's self sufficient. In other words if we get a "Lets KS Pillars of Eternity 2!" it's a bust. Not only that but I doubt they would even be able to KS it to anywhere near what they got for the first one.

Saying all that I really need to get around to playing one of these days.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yep, source with full statement.

IRVINE, Calif. and STOCKHOLM — Oct. 23, 2015 — Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive today announced that Pillars of Eternity, the critically acclaimed computer role-playing game (CRPG) made possible by a record-setting crowdfunding campaign, has crossed a new milestone, and has now sold over 500,000 copies worldwide. Including fans who backed Pillars of Eternity on Kickstarter, over half a million players have purchased the game worldwide, making it one of the best-selling games on Steam this year. Pillars of Eternity has gone on to be one of the best reviewed PC games of 2015, and in addition to its two-part expansion The White March, Obsidian has plans to continue to expand upon its rich universe across several forthcoming releases.

Though I'd put pretty much any amount of money that PoE has sold closer to 700k to this point than 500k. Paradox may well have only paid out on 500k copies to this point though or as their full release implies it has had 500k steam sales only. Steamspy's methodology is pretty robust and the figures for DivOS don't leave much room for PoE selling less than 150k on GOG.

Indeed, either Steamspy's numbers are completely out of whack or this statement came without GOG sales included (PoE is still in GOG's Top 15 currently best selling list, after 7 months).

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well if it were up to Paradox alone, everything would likely be Steamworks-exclusive. They've gone so far as to retrospectively update existing games to tie them to Steam, so it gives some clue as to how they regard alternative platforms.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It will really only be a "success" if it's self sufficient. In other words if we get a "Lets KS Pillars of Eternity 2!" it's a bust. Not only that but I doubt they would even be able to KS it to anywhere near what they got for the first one.

Saying all that I really need to get around to playing one of these days.

Kickstarter for Pillars 2 is almost a given if only because HBS and Larian already got away with crowdsourcing their sequels.

But without any reliable sale numbers from the White March we have no basis to speculate about future of the franchise.

Kickstarter for Pillars 2 is almost a given if only because HBS and Larian already got away with crowdsourcing their sequels.

But without any reliable sale numbers from the White March we have no basis to speculate about future of the franchise.

I wouldn't be so sure, Obsidian's plan was to make PoE self sufficient and then KS another franchise. If they KS PoE2, they are pretty much just surviving as a company.

I wouldn't be so sure, Obsidian's plan was to make PoE self sufficient and then KS another franchise. If they KS PoE2, they are pretty much just surviving as a company.

I am pretty sure they are adaptable to realize that they can follow the same very successful pattern of HBS and Larian.  Why wouldn't you kickstart?  It gives you a good chunk of revenue up front without a publisher, it helps you set design goals, etc.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure they are adaptable to realize that they can follow the same very successful pattern of HBS and Larian.  Why wouldn't you kickstart?  It gives you a good chunk of revenue up front without a publisher, it helps you set design goals, etc.

Because you are dependent on KS to survive. Launching another franchise would have given them an opportunity to grow and fund their own ideas in the future. Also, and I know this may be harsh to say, only surviving is a good way to lose your best employees.

The biggest thing, as I mentioned before, is that I think that they wouldn't be able to reach 4 mil this time around. Although chances are that they don't need 4 mil to make PoE2 as all the ground work has already been laid out with PoE1.

How is being dependent on Kickstarter any different than being dependent on a publisher?  Very few studios are entirely self sufficient.  

I don't understand what you are really arguing here? I mean yeah there are other companies that depend on a publisher, but nowadays they are usually owned by said publisher and even if they weren't it would still mean they are in trouble if they don't have the next project lined up before their current one finishes.

Obsidian was in dire straights (almost bankrupt) before PoE got KSed. With PoE they were able to forestall that. Now if they don't have the cash to fund the next PoE installment they are in deep **** again, until they KS again (and then it depends if people will even fund). If they have enough cash to fund PoE2 they can try to KS another game and secure their foreseeable future. Pretty easy to see the difference there.

I guess the better thing to argue would be what you consider a successful business model.

• Like 2

Do we have numbers on Armored Warfare? Are they also getting a share of the revenue with my.com? I would imagine if this is successful, they may not need to go the crowdfunding route with Pillars 2.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Do we have numbers on Armored Warfare? Are they also getting a share of the revenue with my.com? I would imagine if this is successful, they may not need to go the crowdfunding route with Pillars 2.

Armored Warfare claimed over 500k signups so numbers could be good but looking at match queues and game quality I doubt it will be profitable in the long run.

Especially since they are trying hard to undercut World of Tanks.

• Like 1

How is being dependent on Kickstarter any different than being dependent on a publisher?  Very few studios are entirely self sufficient.  

I'd compare it to taking pre orders, and pre orders without having to pay 30% upfront to steam/ gog + x% to Paradox if they are used as publisher again. In many ways you're dumb if you don't take the 10% KS (or equivalent) cut over the normal pre order one. The only way it's a problem is if you get KS fatigue equivalent for a second project you want to fund at a similar time as may have happened with Bard's Tale for InXile. Though that may also just be a less attractive game than WL or Torment.

They could do early pre orders through the backer portal without a KS, but they wouldn't get the advantage of extended coverage that way.

"(PoE is still in GOG's Top 15 currently best selling list, after 7 months)."

\BIG DEAL. A lot of the DnD games of ye olde are often amongst GOG sellers. L0L

Bottom line... MILLION OR BUST.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Also, another thing about the GOG brag:

PST, BG2, NWN, BG1, NWN2, W2, W1, IWD1, IWD2, and TOEE are the top 10RPGs sold on GOG currently. All of these are rather old games. L0L Pillars isn't even near the top 10.

So, what si this nonsensical top 7? L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.