RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Man, I love the ideas behind all of Frictional Games, but I just never can finish them. Such games, I just can't play them for long. Really makes me wonder how I was able to finish the Alien game... Then again, guess that one was so long (and repeating after a while) that it wasn't so scary anymore...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I play Frictional Games' titles generally in half hour to 40 minute spurts.  That's usually all I can handle before I have to turn the game off and walk away for a bit to calm myself down.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Konami ending all AAA development? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-18-konami-ceases-triple-a-console-production-on-all-but-pes-report

And new Japanese Persona 5 Trailer (amid news the title has been delayed since 2016)

All of my money thrown at Atlus -- Give me this damn game already!

Hitman delayed to 2016 - https://hitman.com/en-us/news/important-release-news

It’s safe to say HITMAN is the biggest venture we’ve ever undertaken at Io-Interactive. Not just in terms of scope and ambition but also in terms of the size of the game world itself. The playable area and density of our locations goes beyond anything we’ve built before. We’re striving to create a series of living, breathing worlds in those locations and we get pretty obsessed about every detail that you’ll experience.

On top of that, we’re going for a new release model where we put out a good chunk of the game when it begins and then release the remaining locations over time. We want to make absolutely sure you all get the best possible experience when you join, so we’ve made the difficult decision to move the initial release date to March 2016. These few extra months will mean we can add more to the launch content of the game, more than we had originally planned, and then follow with a tighter frequency of updates, which ultimately will create a better game for everyone. And in the end, that’s what we’re all looking for.

To give you a sense of the scale when it comes to our various locations, we’ve compared our Paris Showstopper mission to the largest level in Hitman: Absolution. As you can see, lots of challenges, plenty of space to set up death traps, and a huge supply of targets for Contracts mode.

Moving a launch date is never an easy decision, we know it’s frustrating to have to wait a bit longer for the game, but we truly believe it will mean we can deliver a better launch and overall experience. We’ll share more details next week about the full release schedule and scope of HITMAN in general so keep a look out for that.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wow,

This'd be the first Bioware game with a "DLC included" edition since DA:O, right? I wonder what changed their minds.

I hope they offer a goty edition upgrade to get all the dlc at once.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wow,

This'd be the first Bioware game with a "DLC included" edition since DA:O, right?  I wonder what changed their minds.

It just makes business sense. DA2 it didn't make sense to do a new run and ad campaign. Mass Effect games sell well enough on their own that they didn't want to cut into DLC profits by bundling.

Dragon Age they expected to be able to renew interest in a declining tail this way.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Wow,

This'd be the first Bioware game with a "DLC included" edition since DA:O, right?  I wonder what changed their minds.

Now people can be bored in one single play through rather than having to wait 3 months for the next DLC to be released to be bored with. ;)

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

PC Gamer - Life Is Strange Episode 5 likely out October 20th

Life is...odd, y'know? It's weird, unusual, bizarre...oh and strange. Life is Strange has been winning over more and more people with every episode, so a good proportion of you are probably very excited about the adventure game's fifth, and final, chapter.

Episode 5 might be out a little later than you were hoping for. Dontnod have published a blog post on the Square Enix site, in which they say that it will probably be out October 20. That's *checks calendar* ages away, but if it results in a better game, well, obviously a little extra development time is worth it.

Here's Dontnod's Luc explaining things:

"We don’t normally announce a date until we know the game is 100% ready but in the spirit of Max’s birthday (today) we wanted to let you know early that we are aiming to release Episode 5 ‘Polarized’ October 20.

"Many things can change in the lead up to release but the team are working really hard to try and hit this date. We know the wait may be a bit longer than some of you were hoping for but we want to ensure Episode 5 is the best it can be."

Jody Macgregor called Life is Strange a "refreshing glass of gut-punch" in a recent opinion piece, which doesn't sound like a terribly pleasant drink.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/09/22/developing-video-game-voice-actors-are-considering-a-strike.aspx

Voice actors are considering a strike. Heh, rather amusing reading people's comments on this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/09/22/developing-video-game-voice-actors-are-considering-a-strike.aspx

Voice actors are considering a strike. Heh, rather amusing reading people's comments on this.

I think I remember this being a big issue about a decade back.  I think it had something to do with SAG credit.  

I'm on the fence.  Not really against unions, per se, but I also think your programmers and graphic artists are more important to the industry.  Many of my favorite games don't even have voice acting, and it has rarely stood out to me.

• Like 1

Well, if programmers and artists don't organize and push for themselves, not much they can complain about. But they do put in work to a product.

We’re asking for a reasonable performance bonus for every 2 million copies, or downloads sold, or 2 million unique subscribers to online-only games, with a cap at 8 million units/ subscribers. That shakes out, potentially, to FOUR bonus payments for the most successful games: 2 million, 4 million, 6 million and 8 million copies.

It’s a simple approach to secondary payments, and it’ll net you up to four extra union scale payments for your performance (currently $3300.00).

Doesn't seem all that insane.

PC Gamer - Life Is Strange Episode 5 likely out October 20th

Episode 5 might be out a little later than you were hoping for. Dontnod have published a blog post on the Square Enix site, in which they say that it will probably be out October 20. That's *checks calendar* ages away, but if it results in a better game, well, obviously a little extra development time is worth it.

Here's Dontnod's Luc explaining things:

I expected it to be out later actually.

Well, if programmers and artists don't organize and push for themselves, not much they can complain about. But they do put in work to a product.

We’re asking for a reasonable performance bonus for every 2 million copies, or downloads sold, or 2 million unique subscribers to online-only games, with a cap at 8 million units/ subscribers. That shakes out, potentially, to FOUR bonus payments for the most successful games: 2 million, 4 million, 6 million and 8 million copies.

It’s a simple approach to secondary payments, and it’ll net you up to four extra union scale payments for your performance (currently $3300.00).

Doesn't seem all that insane.

Good programmers and artists can command a premium because they have a special skillset that takes years to develop.  They don't really need to unionize.  Voice actors, on the other hand, can pretty much be pulled off the street.  :p

But yeah, I don't have a problem with an actor lobbying for bonuses based on the game's performance.  It sounds pretty reasonable.

Good programmers and artists can command a premium because they have a special skillset that takes years to develop.  They don't really need to unionize.  Voice actors, on the other hand, can pretty much be pulled off the street.  tongue.png

But yeah, I don't have a problem with an actor lobbying for bonuses based on the game's performance.  It sounds pretty reasonable.

Based on fan dubs and some games, I am not too sure that voice acting is without skill or talent. The programmers and artists make the meat of the product, so yep they should get a bigger slice - if they're not getting it now then they need to speak up about it, others trying to get their due is not their issue.

• Like 1

WildStar is going F2P

Took longer than I thought 

Has anyone played it? I'm tired of running dailies in SWTOR

I couldn't get into it, but it's worth a spin.  Some people really enjoyed it.

WildStar is going F2P

Took longer than I thought 

Has anyone played it? I'm tired of running dailies in SWTOR

If you enjoy waiting several hours until you have enough people to raid with and everyone subsequently leaving because it's too late to start raiding now, you'll have a blast. :)

I was able to grab a 7 day pass and give it a spin and I don't think this game is for me

Free games updated 3/4/21