Good Old Games

Blarghagh

Well, HDDs are pretty cheap now. I have 140 games from GOG and they are around 500GB *shrugs* (with Mac and Linux backups included). GOG was never intended as a Cloud platform in the first place, they were IMHO always about DRM free ownership of your games and ability to backup them, if they ever go down. 

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

1 hour ago, ktchong said:

A big reason for people to buy games on digital platforms like Steam and GOG is so that we can use them as cloud storage for games we own.  They are convenient and do not take up physical space.  Without having to consider physical storage, I have bought over 400 games on GOG.  It would defeat a main purpose of buying games online if I had to download all those 400+ games onto my physical drives to safeguard against GOG going out of business. 

I do not want to have to store 400+ games on my hard drives.  Who the hell put 400+ games onto their hard drives?  So am I buy  hard drives to store 400+ games because GOG might go out of business?  Am I suppose to spend money, and hours and hours, to buy blank discs and burn all those 400+ games onto discs?

Well, if the alternative is to not have them, then it'd be prudent to fork out some cash for a 4 TB external drive and load it up.  In the event of GOG's demise we can hope we'd have some notice.  I keep GOG installers around anyway due to being bandwidth capped in the past so is a habit (still saves time).  You have the same issue with Steam though, if they go out of business you'll need to pull the installers no ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, ktchong said:

A big reason for people to buy games on digital platforms like Steam and GOG is so that we can use them as cloud storage for games we own.  They are convenient and do not take up physical space.  Without having to consider physical storage, I have bought over 400 games on GOG.  It would defeat a main purpose of buying games online if I had to download all those 400+ games onto my physical drives to safeguard against GOG going out of business. 

I do not want to have to store 400+ games on my hard drives.  Who the hell put 400+ games onto their hard drives?  So am I buy  hard drives to store 400+ games because GOG might go out of business?  Am I suppose to spend money, and hours and hours, to buy blank discs and burn all those 400+ games onto discs?

don't get the logic here. If Valve goes under you sure lost all your games, with GoG you have option to save them as you wish, for all purposes put them on some cloud storage if you wish

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I have not heard of Valve or Steam having any financial problem or laying off employees.  Even if Valve is having money problems, Steam is an attractive asset, and Valve will be able to sell and offload Steam to a buyer, and users will be able to keep our inventories on Steam.

On the other hand, GOG has been laying off employees and losing money.  Unlike Steam, GOG may not be able to find a buyer.

Edited by ktchong

So one one hand you have option to completely own stuff without any strings attached and that seems scary to you, on other hand you have pretty much borrowed software depending on good will of publisher which makes you reassured. Got ya

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Why bother arguing? He hasn't even got the most basic facts right. GOG made a profit last year, because surprisingly enough despite having three quarters where it lost money there's one quarter which always has most of its sales volume. No doubt they'd like a bigger profit, but which company wouldn't.

who me? I probably should not care less about others opinions, I am just happy GoG actually exists, thats all

3 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

who me? I probably should not care less about others opinions, I am just happy GoG actually exists, thats all

Nice try with your alt, ktchong.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra