Good Old Games

Blarghagh

Stellaris is now on GOG.

Here's hoping this is only the beginning and we'll see the complete Paradox catalog there. It's at least a step towards regaining goodwill after the whole Gamersgate debacle.

I'm tempted to buy it again.

(and something something about voting for a giveaway)

Wanna bet Shadow Warrior 2 ends up being the game we'll get? It's the only one I already have and I usually get lucky with these things. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My hopes for Victoria II on GOG just got from zero to 1337 :o

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

My hopes for Victoria II on GOG just got from zero to 1337 :o

It's a bit of a surprise Vic2 isn't there already since it was the last of their 'classic' games not tied to steam.

There are meant to be a fair few 'big' releases (Bioshocks, Onlivion etc) coming in this sale, but a lot of them have been rumoured for ages so may or may not actually turn up

Edited by Zoraptor

Shadow Warrior 2 as a giveaway for 48 hours on GOG :)

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 1 month later...

Witcher 3 concert for free, because they haven't reminded you about that game in a while.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Stellaris is now on GOG.

Here's hoping this is only the beginning and we'll see the complete Paradox catalog there. It's at least a step towards regaining goodwill after the whole Gamersgate debacle.

I'm tempted to buy it again.

(and something something about voting for a giveaway)

I must have missed it, what Paradox done during GG?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

More importantly, who actually cares? Because 213374U's post is worded like majority does. ... Like, who of y'all remembers the time where GOG purposefully cut paying customer's access to their games for a publicity stunt? Edited by Fenixp

More importantly, who actually cares? Because 213374U's post is worded like majority does. ... Like, who of y'all remembers the time where GOG purposefully cut paying customer's access to their games for a publicity stunt?

No idea what you are talking about mate, must missed that one too :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

No idea what you are talking about mate, must missed that one too :)

My point exactly, internet forgets fast, regardless of whether it was a bunch of dumb tweets or behavior that actually purposefully harmed paying customer.

https://www.wired.com/2010/09/good-old-games-2/

Well I for sure I am not that concerned about that, althrough I understand that cutting off access to your games is at least weird marketing move.

Are people really still mad about GoG going offline for one day, 8 years ago, and disguising it as a joke, during a board update?

See, that's exactly what I wrote about GG, in a more complicated manner. Because no, nobody cares anymore. About either of the two.

Incidentally, it was like 3 days and GOG started the whole thing by announcing they're going under, which was pretty ****ty handling of the situation by any standards.

Speak for yourself man, I was interested in GG. :)

Incidentally, it was like 3 days and GOG started the whole thing by announcing they're going under, which was pretty ****ty handling of the situation by any standards.

My bad. The article is dated 22 Sep 10, which was a Wednesday, and the article continues with:

The Good Old Games website will relaunch at 8 a.m. Eastern time Thursday...

So I thought is was only 1 day but I now see that it went down the Sunday before.

More importantly, who actually cares? Because 213374U's post is worded like majority does. ... Like, who of y'all remembers the time where GOG purposefully cut paying customer's access to their games for a publicity stunt?

Um. I was actually referring to Paradox's abandonment of and eventual divestment from their own DRM-free storefront, Gamersgate, and going Steam-exclusive (forcing Gamersgate CK2 buyers to adopt Steam if they wanted to keep their games supported). This was after running their mouth on how great DRM-free was and how evil/crappy Steam was, which didn't earn them much sympathy among their fans, back then. 

I guess if you missed this, the confusion is understandable. Still, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions that "nobody cares" simply because I'm unaware of something.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Um. I was actually referring to Paradox's abandonment of and eventual divestment from their own DRM-free storefront, Gamersgate, and going Steam-exclusive (forcing Gamersgate CK2 buyers to adopt Steam if they wanted to keep their games supported). This was after running their mouth on how great DRM-free was and how evil/crappy Steam was, which didn't earn them much sympathy among their fans, back then.

All right, that's crappy and worthy of attention, I do apologize. I'm not entirely sure how is it in any way relevant to GG, then again, GG was apparently about absolutely everything, yet 99% of it was completely irrelevant and ignorable BS, thus the reaction.

All right, that's crappy and worthy of attention, I do apologize. I'm not entirely sure how is it in any way relevant to GG, then again, GG was apparently about absolutely everything, yet 99% of it was completely irrelevant and ignorable BS, thus the reaction.

Yes. It's not relevant to GG at all, and you're not the first to be confused by the unfortunate coincidence. It just happened to be a completely different mess with a very similar keyword happening at roughly the same time.

I didn't care much about "GG" either, but was rather pissed about Paradox and Gamersgate. And I didn't even own CK2 on Gamersgate, just some other PDX titles... and Alpha Protocol.

In any case, it seems they are at the very least reconsidering their stance on DRM, as Galaxy probably allows them to do their constant patching routine just as well as Steam.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Everyone knows Direct 2 Drive is the best storefront anyway. That's where I bought Neverwinter Nights 2 and Thief: Deadly Shadows.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Are people really still mad about GoG going offline for one day, 8 years ago, and disguising it as a joke, during a board update?

See, that's exactly what I wrote about GG, in a more complicated manner. Because no, nobody cares anymore. About either of the two.

Except for snowflakes. 30 years later they'll still be salty over that one time Totalbiscuit yelled at his wife in public.

I was one of those people who had to move CK2 to Steam and was not at all happy about it. I was even less happy when Steam started breaking my mods until I figured out I could launch the game without Steam which lead to another problem because I couldn't play anything that needed Steam because it would then automatically patch CK2 even though it was set not to. Eventually it worked as intended but those were dark times and didn't build any good will towards Paradox or Steam.

Free games updated 3/4/21

To reiterate:

GamerSgate (GG)= storefront established in 2007(?) mostly for selling Paradox games and originally owned by Johan A, Fred Wester etc

Gamergate (also GG)= term coined by Adam Baldwin referring to the clash between people wanting ethics in games journalism/ return all culture to the stone age vs brave progressive free thinkers/ hypocritical corporate culture warriors

I'm pretty sure GG the store tried to get people to use a different term at various times as they- unsurprisingly- ended up being targeted by people who couldn't tell the difference.

Potentially the worst ethical part of the Paradox CK2 GG fiasco apart from Paradox persistently lying to customers was that they sold Gamersgate before going steam exclusive, potentially shafting whoever bought it. It's also the primary reason I still loathe Steam and don't trust them so far as I could throw GabeN; as Paradox was going to do their own client- parts of which ended up in the GG CK2 version- but were told if they did they'd be kicked from steam as EA was.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2