Sign in to follow this  
TrueNeutral

The general firearms thread

Yes, you can make your own guns and ammo

There are some stipulations but in general the answer is yes

But in the US this wouldn't be derived from the second amendment and would have to do more with local law and regulations, I'd think.

That's interesting - I just came across this vid on Youtube of a couple being destroyed by the Canadian government (I know it's probably different in America) because they didn't agree with the gun laws implemented on owners, and let their licence expire:

So the government destroyed their gunsmithing livelihood, went after their home, and were financially ruined by defending themselves in court.  It just makes me think that if they ever allowed the public guns in Britain (which will never happen without massive political displacement), case studies like this would be common place - unless the government put aside its ability to tax the public - which would require an even bigger upheaval.

As a fun little exercise, I tried to come up with a D&D alignment chart for 20th Century Firearms. Let me know what you think:

Lawful Good: H&K MP5 (the SMG feared by terrorists, bank robbers, and hostage-takers everywhere)

Neutral Good: FN FAL ("Right Arm of the Free World", 'nuff said)

Chaotic Good: Colt M-16 (Serves the public good, just watch out for collateral damage)

Lawful Neutral: Colt Canada C-7 (Based on how UN Peacekeeping missions used to be a Canadian past-time)

True Neutral: IMI Uzi (You're as likely to see it being used by the good guys as it being used for a drive-by shooting in South-Central)

Chaotic Neutral: Kalashnikov and derivatives (For the most prolific implement of war, this seriously goes without saying)

Lawful Evil: Tokarev TT (Favoured means of execution by Zampolits)

Neutral Evil: IMI Desert Eagle (Used by deadly, misanthropic computer programs and crime bosses with an inflated sense of self-worth)

Chaotic Evil: Luger P-38 (The quintessential Nazi gun)

Edited by Agiel

"Turned wrong way round, the relentless unforeseen was what we schoolchildren studied as 'History,' harmless history, where everything unexpected in its own time is chronicled on the page as inevitable. The terror of the unforeseen is what the science of history hides, turning a disaster into an epic.”

-Philip Roth, The Plot Against America

"Always write angry letters to your enemies. Never mail them."

-James Fallows

Chaotic Evil: Luger P-38 (The quintessential Nazi gun)

I'd swap the P-38 with the MG-42. The 42 has probably sent more people into heaven than any other firearm in the world - and the cause was rather sinister.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.