The general firearms thread

Blarghagh

Talk about your "self defense tools" designed to kill other things here. :p

Lasts posts somehow without quote attributions because the quote system is being insane:

That's interesting, Japanese weapons ... you mean firearms? What sort of weapons ... I'd rather not search online, because internet, but if you know of any interesting examples ... 

Off the top of my head: all the high quality Browning (US) shotguns sold for a couple of grands are actually made in Japan by a company called Miroku. Also there is HOWA which is a Japanese company making many firearms, for the civilian market they produce bolt action rifles for Europe and the US which are famous for their quality and affordable price.

There is also the rumor that the action of a certain rifle from Winchester is identical with the HOWA action, according to rumors thats because Winchester buys the actions from HOWA. I do not have enough information and/or proof to either deny or confirm that, but its entirely possible though as stuff like that happens all the time. 

And speaking of selling under different names, Remington is selling shotguns originally made in Russia by Baikal and also rifles which were designed and manufactured in Serbia by Zastava. (The mini-mauser series for example).

And if we go down to parts it gets really interesting, for example Steyr Mannlicher in Austria has outsourced the barrel manufacturing to Romania a couple of years ago, and  Accuracy International Australia (AIA), all the parts for their rifles are manufactured in Vietnam and shipped to Australia for assembly.  I owned a rifle from AIA and the quality was questionable where it counted the most.  

And those are just a few examples. 

Made some nice fireballs at the shooting range with a friends rifle, a 98 with a barrel shortened down to 16.5'' in 8x57mm. :devil:

That thing was so loud I had to use both earmuffs and plugs to protect my ears. You cold feel the bass in your stomach, it was far louder than any other rifle on the range.

OumlIAumlOuml2_zpsumujl8v8.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I thought this was interesting. Toting guns is now legal in Texas

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-06/wal-mart-workers-on-pistol-patrol-as-law-lets-texans-tote-guns

People can get pretty worked up in a retail environment and can understand if employees preferred it if the customer wasn't armed.

Customer: "Can you do this any cheaper".
Employee: "No"
Customer: *puts hand on gun* "Are you sure?".

Black Friday sales with open carry. Have the SWAT team on standby. :p

Not my normal wheelhouse, but...

You shouldn't just grab somebody's weapon out of their hands.. Especially if they can lick it to tell what kind of condition its in
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• 3 weeks later...

Hows that for a shotgun round. Opens up upon impact and pokes a 5 centimeter wide hole into your body. 

And yes, its hull is not plastic but brass! 

For the record,  a normal shotgun slug has a 1 shot stop percentage of 98%, and those do not expand half as much.  

That thing is so overkill, if you get killed by one of those it will kill you a second time in your next life. 

OATH_12ga_expanding_D6A1893web-660x660.j

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

• 4 months later...

Spent over an hour today trying to explain to my non gun owning Facebook friends the difference between automatic and semi-auto and the availability of such after seeing some wild accusations thrown about. It did not go well

I stuck to the very basic facts but nothing sways "I just know"

Free games updated 3/4/21

Spent over an hour today trying to explain to my non gun owning Facebook friends the difference between automatic and semi-auto and the availability of such after seeing some wild accusations thrown about. It did not go well

I stuck to the very basic facts but nothing sways "I just know"

I just know how you feel.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I was trying to correct some misinformation a couple of friends were spreading but no matter what I said and no matter how many links I provided they just knew better

Real simple stuff too like AR not meaning assault rifle and that semi-auto isn't the same as full auto and explaining the difference. Apparently I was also attacking them for corrections like this  :shrugz:

The kicker is that I'm not even against increased gun control but I do think people should make informed opinions

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I was trying to correct some misinformation a couple of friends were spreading but no matter what I said and no matter how many links I provided they just knew better

perhaps the most amusing aspect o' the video is that obviously the guy posting it didn't understand don's error.

there is something sinister looking 'bout the ar-15 that makes many uneducated folks balk.  the ruger below has near identical muzzle velocity and calibre as the ar-15.  heck, without the pistol-grip, folding stock and flash suppressor options, the ruger ain't even subject to the previous assault weapons ban. go figure.

5801.jpg

*shrug*

am always baffled when folks looks at a M1911 and somehow don't consider that such a weapon is just as much a semi-automatic weapon as the ar-15... and the M1911 has been responsible for far more us firearm homicides than the ar-15. 

perhaps link the following for folks:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2009-2013.xls

dunno.  won't help explain auto v. semi-auto, but perhaps can get folks to ease up on the semi-auto rifle fixations people gets after an orlando or san bernardino.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as an aside, US firearm suicides is almost 4 times greater than homicides, and suicide is, strangely enough, an act of convenience. suicide rates dropped dramatically in the 1930s. why?  wasn't the great economy, that is for darn sure. nope, gas companies stopped using coal gas. ever see those old movies with guys killing self by putting their head in an unlit oven? weren't feasible once gas companies changed to natural gas in the 1930s and 1940s.  no coal gas and US suicides drop by 30%.  more recent, there has been a similar Spike in suicides.  the spike in suicides corresponds directly with increase o' suicides by poisoning-- opioids.  with the dramatic increase in opioid prescriptions by doctors in the last couple decades, there has been a corresponding increase in suicides.

given even a short time to reflect, many folks change their minds regarding suicide.  the easy access to firearms and opioids, more than the seeming more reasonable mental health or economic explanations, is the prime causes o' the startling US suicide figures. weird.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

additional suggestion: show ruger mini 14 in our post above, and then offer the following pic

13943d1221514224-ati-strike-force-stock-

explain that both is actual semi-automatic.  in fact, is the same rifle.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps (edit) found a more intriguing pic... given the side-by-side comparison

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Semi auto is just using the gass from the explosion to chamber the next round. It's not far from that to full auto obviously. For something to not be semi auto it would have to be lever action or pump, bolt action. Point being it doesn't matter that much at all. One is more effective at shooting quickly but is that somehow 'more dangerous'. I suppose if you are trying to stop ze Germans from storming your trench. In a mass shooting ?. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

For amusing comments on guns, read NPR comment sections.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

IMO full auto is a bad idea in a hand held weapon. It is effective with a heavy weapon that is bipod, tripod, or vehicle stabilized. But hand held it is wasteful and inaccurate. I don't know about the M4 which is the standard infantry weapon in use in the US today. When I was in it was the M-16A2 and it did not use full auto. You could change it between semi-auto and 3 round burst.

I suspect my brothers here on this board who have served in the US military will agree firing the M249 SAW from the offhand and trying to hit something specific is VERY hard to do.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

additional suggestion: show ruger mini 14 in our post above, and then offer the following pic

pic

explain that both is actual semi-automatic. in fact, is the same rifle.

HA! Good Fun!

Well this one is black ☺

black, and as it turns out, 7.62.  damnable internet.  can find mini 14s with the exact same kit as the pictured 30, but in the interest o' full disclosure that weapon would be more akin to an ak-47 than a ar-15... albeit still semi-automatic.

HA! Good Fun! 

I wish I would have gotten to shoot a bunch of cool weaponry but the Navy doesnt have that need. I remember in bootcamp, during "pistol qualification", we fired a .45 caliber semi (that was chambered down to .22 iirc). There wasnt even a paper target to aim at. "Passing" consisted of being able to point the weapon downrange, fire, and hit the back wall. :lol:

• Like 1

Well Navy has the Marines do the man to man fighting :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Been a long time since the Navy had to repel boarders!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Been a long time since the Navy had to repel boarders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnIoktZKZ6A

steven seagal to the rescue in 1992.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

• 2 months later...