I've tried to read as much as i could about how to play the cipher (i like to min max and be op :p)
so i read and read and started the game. now i see that the draining whip no longer gives +2 on hit...

can someone point me to an updated guide on this game? on ciphers in general (any reason to still take that gun?)

in addition i have an issue with rogues... i want to play a rogue but i want to play a cipher as well.

should i hire a mercenary? 

There's a cipher companion in the game. So you could pick a rogue for you and play a scripted cipher companion. Or you play cipher for yourself and pick a rogue hireling. You can play the cipher in two ways: melee or ranged. Ranged is safer and allows more minmaxing for stats, focus gain will be solid no matter which weapon focus you choose. I like war bows because they are fast enough and still do enough damage to punch through higher DR. Weapon focus ruffian is still a good choice, because you can use blunderbusses agains low DR enemies and switch to a pistol if you meet armoured foes. Melee ciphers can be played as pure damage dealers and should be handled like rogues then or can be used as offtanks. Focus generation better, especially if you don't use shields and don't wear armour. But it's more risky of course if you are a glass cannon. I personally like melee ciphers better because they are more fun to play and some of their spells benefit enormously from the fact that they are in the front row. But I can't say which way is more powerful or OP. A good melee cipher with some tankyness and more than one retaliation item is quite powerful though.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Pillars is currently in a state of flux as a major new patch and expansion is about to be released (25th august). So, what is strong now is likely to change.

Luckily patch 2.0 will introduce the respec feature, so you can experiment if saves between patches is compatible (anyone knows)?

In _general_ it is:

fast weapons = high damage to unarmored targets

slow weapons = high damage to armored targets

So, good to have one of each.

Also if you want to specialize in martial ranged damage, the ranger is the stronger choice currently.

There was  great post comparing rogue/ranger dps if your interested: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78939-class-builds-ranged-ranger-ranged-rogue-melee-rogue/

On easy/normal you can complete the game blindfolded. Obsidian should have had the courage to remove easy/normal and replace it with hard as default. For Path of the Damned it´s more about optimized parties as whole.

Most seems to end up using:

1 tank + 1 priest + 1 offtank + 3 dps

Anyways. A little off topic, but you seemed new so I wanted to share some experience.

Edited by Andvare

I prefer clothing (= no armour) on ranged ciphers or rogues. Normally you shouldn't get hit and if it happens, light armour makes not much of a difference - but the difference in recovery speed is really big.

I forgot: theres no unique clothing item in the game. So if you find - let's say a supercool robe or padded armour - you can of course use it instead of clothing. You can enchant your armour or clothing by yourself. So a simple vailian outfit can give you +2 INT for example. That's not much worse than what the unique robes etc. do.

I forgot: theres no unique clothing item in the game. So if you find - let's say a supercool robe or padded armour - you can of course use it instead of clothing. You can enchant your armour or clothing by yourself. So a simple vailian outfit can give you +2 INT for example. That's not much worse than what the unique robes etc. do.

Right. There are a few unique robes, but the only one that might be more optimal than manually-enchanted clothing is from a high-level bounty. It's Superb and grants Second Chance, which allows your character to come back up with a small amount of endurance the first time he is knocked out. I forget if it's Per Encounter or Per Rest, but you shouldn't be dying that often anyway, it's just good to have the ability as insurance for emergencies.

That said, there are a few Second Chance items in the game, and first priority should probably be to a priest if you have one, since they heal and buff and can resurrect others, making a priest's resurrection particularly meaningful.

I've tried to read as much as i could about how to play the cipher (i like to min max and be op :p)

so i read and read and started the game. now i see that the draining whip no longer gives +2 on hit...

can someone point me to an updated guide on this game? on ciphers in general (any reason to still take that gun?)

in addition i have an issue with rogues... i want to play a rogue but i want to play a cipher as well.

should i hire a mercenary? 

It's not a guide per-se, but I will link this post I made about ciphers. I still like the blunderbuss because I think it just looks and feels cool, and because the drug Carow Golan still grants a flat focus bonus per hit. Blunderbusses shoot six lower damage small pellets per shot, and each of them is considered a separate hit for the purposes of focus gain. Their small damage per hit does hamper their effectiveness against high-DR targets, but there are various ways to compensate, including the Penetrating Shot talent and the rending property on a unique blunderbuss you can get from a relatively easy quest in Dyrford Village in Act 2. You can also switch to a pistol for high DR targets, as Boeroer suggested, and there's a unique pistol you can buy from a merchant early in Act 3 with some drool worthy enchantments. But blunderbusses are no longer the obvious must-have choice, and as Boeroer points out, you can make a good case for other ranged weapons based on personal preference. Bows have a longer range and your focus generation will be smoother instead of in big bursts, for example.

There is also no reason you can't have a rogue in your party as well. Furthermore, the expansion coming on the 25th will add a rogue companion, if you like the RP content and flavor that companions bring.

For a super early pistol there is the "The Disappointer". It comes with a Quality enhancement "Terrible Accuracy", but due to game mechanics only one Quality can be in place at the same time. Thus, if we enchant it with "Accurate 1" we end up with -1 accuracy instead of -13. it is hidden in the tent where you find Sparfel´s pack.

Edited by Andvare

Thanks guys! :)
so it comes out on the 25th? cause i looked and couldnt find that

diablo3 patch is on the 28th so i wanted to do something in the meanwhile

i think i will Start a rogue. create a cipher as a hireling. and when iget to the cipher in the game i will switch. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! :)

so it comes out on the 25th? cause i looked and couldnt find that

diablo3 patch is on the 28th so i wanted to do something in the meanwhile

i think i will Start a rogue. create a cipher as a hireling. and when iget to the cipher in the game i will switch. 

FYI if you're used to Diablo, you will find PoE to be far less fast-paced and much more about pausing and taking your time in each fight to plan out careful strategy. Auto-attack doesn't even currently work for many players, myself included. If you like both styles (like I do) and can adapt, then great, PoE has a lot to offer. If not, keep in mind the expansion will also bring AI for the PC and allies, which will require much less micromanagement. Personally I like the challenge of having to think differently than in other games, but I thought you might like to know this.

In any case, I hope you have fun!