The Funny Things Thread

Blarghagh

"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company."

From what I recall the brony phenomenon came about when someone wrote a thinkpiece on MLP and how crappy modern children's television is. Because it was worded so pretentiously a bunch of people began to ironically appreciate the show and pretended to find deeper meaning in it. This quickly became annoying which in turn encouraged more ironic MLP ****posting. Somewhere down the line it eventually became unironic appreciation.

That or they're really committed to the bit.

• Like 2

1446136240072.png

That can't be real. Surely.

It was a real OKcupid profile from a couple years back. Not sure if it was an actual ayncap or a parody of one, but the hookup stuff earlier in the thread made me think of it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company."

From what I recall the brony phenomenon came about when someone wrote a thinkpiece on MLP and how crappy modern children's television is. Because it was worded so pretentiously a bunch of people began to ironically appreciate the show and pretended to find deeper meaning in it. This quickly became annoying which in turn encouraged more ironic MLP ****posting. Somewhere down the line it eventually became unironic appreciation.

That or they're really committed to the bit.

No, I'm pretty sure the brony phenomenon came about due to the quality and positive energy of the show. I'm not a brony (I've watched a handful of episodes to try it out at the annoying insistence of a colleague, but I wasn't a fan), but it's my understanding from my animating colleagues that pretty much all regard it as the best children's show currently airing (although Adventure Time gives it a run for its money among those who are often stoned). Some of them have converted to bronies, others say "it's not for me, but it's very well-made". The ironic ****posters didn't show up until after genuine love for the show starting getting ridiculed. In any case, while children's television is generally absolute **** (trust me, I've made some of that ****), this show is very rarely counted as anything other than a rare exception except by adults who think it's weird for other adults to like childish things.

Hmm, is weird to disparage people for watching a kid's show when people religiously follow (or if you're that kind of Ultra, be violent over) millionaires sweating on a field or ice rink and that's seen as a-ok.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The brony community started on /co/.

In fact I think I remember seeing the actual thread that started it all.

K603KPn.png

A dire prophecy indeed.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

The ironic ****posters didn't show up until after genuine love for the show starting getting ridiculed.

The think piece was written a week after the show was released. The ****posting was in response to that.

I was there man.

Well, then the ****posting lives alongside actual love for the source material. Either way, the majority of bronies are not "ironic".

In these progressive times, better get up to speed and learn all the gender identities! ;)

CSfqnYUUAAA18OF.jpg

"Australian male" is my personal favorite.

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Seen a lot of people around town with eight pointed star tattoos.....

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4UzSAvc.jpg

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.