The Funny Things Thread

Blarghagh

1546347_999842066726347_3902585307657390

At least in 2019, it'll be non-stop noir.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's 141 characters. #TRENCH FAIL

Funny, I had a funny feeling some *COUGH*nerd*COUGH* body would feel the need to point that out that. :p

Can you even hashtage #Trench Foot? Shouldn't it be #TrenchFoot?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

People are far too sensitive about people being suspicious of them.

I'd have to agree with this. People take suspicion too personally. I think her being in a rage was a bit uncalled for though; I mean, it's not that big a deal. Both of them were being silly IMO.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

People are far too sensitive about people being suspicious of them.

I'd have to agree with this. People take suspicion too personally. I think her being in a rage was a bit uncalled for though; I mean, it's not that big a deal. Both of them were being silly IMO.

No, the guy reacted rationally.

1) Declaring "I know the police chief" like that, is in fact a threat. It is not something you say to someone you expect to have a mutually pleasant and respectful experience with, it's something you say to someone to make them afraid.

2) Declaring that you're a campus "anti-rape" activist is a huge red flag. Everyone is against rape. But college activists who have literally made that their identity, are almost all emotionally unhinged people who have fully bought into the "rape culture" moral panic and the infantilizing "everything that happens to women is rape" 3rd wave feminist dogma.

3) The whole "This is the work I do, and I'll do it on you too" part would be a red flag even if it was any other line of work - like, say, a psychologist insisting on "psychoanalyzing" their counterpart to their face the whole time during a date. No one wants that. It conveys that they're treating the other person more like a subject than a partner.

All things taken together, her message basically told the guy: WARNING, hooking up with me is a huge risk for you. I'm a ticking time-bomb with a victimhood complex. Even a tiny miss-step, and you'll be publicly accused of rape. Fail to call me the next day, and you'll be accused of rape. If I regret our encounter later for any reason, you'll be accused of rape. You get the idea.

It's completely sensible for him to not consider that risk-reward balance very favorable, and decline.

And he actually did that quite politely, so I see no reason to criticize him.

• Like 6

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

^Yep. It was amusing to me because it doesn't even register with her. Not even a little. She acts paranoid about men. Her social etiquette is different from that of an average person. Therefore you can't trust that she will interpret what is "creepy" like a normal person. She probably believes in all the "affirmative consent" insanity and that "victims are always right" AND she has buddies high up in police. Why would anyone want to sign up for that.

Guess it needs explanation these days. I'll just leave it that...