Okay, so I do not know the system well enough to game it properly, but I'll be damned if I'll stop playing this triple crown! 

I got killed in the Temple of Eothas in the first village. Some spiders in one of the very first rooms. They webbed us, due to my lousy micromanagement battle order broke down and squishy characters were flanked and owned. 

I used this: 

2 Chanters as tanks. Maxed Per/Int/Res, Dex and Might at minimum, 15 Con. Hatchets, shields, scale armour and sword and shield style. Figured that two tanky summoners was a good bet, and that I could have both buffing and debuffing phrases going. 

1 Barbarian as damage dealer. Maxed Int, physical stats through the roof, horrible defense. A glass cannon if you ever saw one. 

1 Fighter as an off-tank with a greatsword. 

1 Bear Druid. 

1 Priest of Magran. 

So I need to learn the spells better. Any advice on why this party composition sucks?

• Like 1

Not enough DPS and CC capability, I would presume. Two full tanks and an offtank seems to be a lot of tankiness. Nobody besides your druid can control crowds or kill enemies really quickly. Barbarians are fun but in the early game they're not supereffective. They start to shine later on with the right equipment - which you don't have yet. You also lack the ability to kill enemies with a ranged damage burst when they break through the line. Four melee guys are also difficult to handle. Sometimes you can't position them because there's not enough space.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

IMO, though I'm not a tripple-crowner myself, drop the fighter and the barbarian for 2 wizards. Two tanks is enough, and barbarians are risky as melee glass-cannons. You need the CC and DPS the wizards will bring together with your druid.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

Or cipher. I use three of them and it's absolutely awesome. Especially if some enemies break through: Ectopsychic Echo on my tank and they go "pop" in seconds. I also use the echo for main dps on PotD: three ciphers cast echo on a fast running offtank which runs skips through the enemy's lines and tacles the foes from behind. That's extremely powerful and ends most fights in seconds, but I won't recommend it for trial of iron because its also risky. Sometimes the runner gets stuck or proned or the way is blocked and then all the focus is wasted and the fight usually gets messy. But three times Mental Binding at the start of combat is always a winner. So I recommend ciphers.

• Like 2

Or cipher. I use three of them and it's absolutely awesome. Especially if some enemies break through: Ectopsychic Echo on my tank and they go "pop" in seconds. I also use the echo for main dps on PotD: three ciphers cast echo on a fast running offtank which runs skips through the enemy's lines and tacles the foes from behind. That's extremely powerful and ends most fights in seconds, but I won't recommend it for trial of iron because its also risky. Sometimes the runner gets stuck or proned or the way is blocked and then all the focus is wasted and the fight usually gets messy. But three times Mental Binding at the start of combat is always a winner. So I recommend ciphers.

People always deny it but echo is a supreme spell. Theres nothing cheaper than multiple ciphers.

Lol I solo'd that place besides the shades as a barbarian solo at level 3, cmon dude get it together lol, you got 6 people.

Seriously, people have really overhyped this PoTD, I was pretty intimidated by it, but its not so bad lol.

The only real dangerous thing if ur gonna skip the shades is the will-o-s, solo just keep trying to lure one out at a time and u'll be fine, with party u should be good.

I didn't even know that much about Barb I just winged it.

Don't get me wrong I almost died a few times, but thats almost and I'm 1 person.

Also why do people Max Int on a barb? Max Might + constitution! I can still hit 3 people to the side of my barb with carnage with 4 intellect lol, you don't need 18 int jesus.

But you got a full party, if you want my advice, get full perception, con, resolve, fire-godlike and tank with the FIGHTER! get hatchet, medium(pref) or heavy shield, see if u can enchant it to fine, and get sword and shield style and you'll be able to pretty much just walk away and he/she'll probely solo it themselves with auto attacks.

Stay back with the chanters and summon + ranged, honestly I don't even know what to say with the rest, it should be a non issue with just those 3.

Seriously I've did some PoTD testing just to mess around and I did a solo fighter aswell before quitting and I can sit and tank Nigh on forever solo with some plate mail and a fire godlike + rapid recovery and full might, the healing is nuts aswell as the damage reduction.

Edited by alexis13

People overhyping Potd?

Theres not many hardest difficulty settings with a fancy ass name to boot, more people complained about how easy it is. The only way to feel challenged slightly in this game is to go with half a party (not really that hatd) or better yet solo.

People overhyping Potd?

Theres not many hardest difficulty settings with a fancy ass name to boot, more people complained about how easy it is. The only way to feel challenged slightly in this game is to go with half a party (not really that hatd) or better yet solo.

I'm not gonna be elitest and say its easy, its surely hard and challenging.

Its just the name, it got me thinking witcher 1/2 style dark souls 2  NG +9.

Thought I was gonna take like 60 damage from a wolf n **** lol (which is ridiculous admittedly and their difficulty is proper and tbh very hard for a game like this.

But yeah its totally doable.

Edited by alexis13

Dark Elf, please do not mind Alexis. I gave him the benefit of the doubt at first, but the more of his posts I read, the less surprised I'd be if the 13 in his name stood for his age. If it doesn't and he's an adult, I feel some pity for him. I think he is probably not appreciated much in real life and tries to pump up his ego by bragging about accomplishments on Hard (before he very recently started PoTD), speaking from a false sense of authority about things he hasn't actually experienced or tested, and insulting others, so don't take anything he says seriously or personally.

My advice to you is the same as before, and I think Boeroer sums it up well. The party you are trying to play it seems is heavily driven by your RP preferences and far from optimal. It doesn't mean it's not possible to beat the game this way, but it would be significantly harder than with a more well-balanced party complete with good CC and all. Your party would be much more viable on Hard. As-is, on PoTD it looks more like the kind of party a veteran of PoTD might try as an added challenge. You're asking for advice, but I don't know what advice you're actually willing to take, and to what extent your attachment to your current party vision may be more important to you. If the latter, I don't see anything wrong with playing on Hard first (and/or not Trial of Iron) since the difficulty jump is so significant.

The jump is really big. I startet my first game on normal and stopped when I reached Twin Elms because it was just too easy. Then I created a new hero and chose PotD. When the wolves in Valewood shredded me like I was made of crackers I thought "WTF???". But after a while it's ok. You have to use some powergaming though.

The jump is really big. I startet my first game on normal and stopped when I reached Twin Elms because it was just too easy. Then I created a new hero and chose PotD. When the wolves in Valewood shredded me like I was made of crackers I thought "WTF???". But after a while it's ok. You have to use some powergaming though.

You definitely have to tweak or develop some new tactics, and that's with a well-balanced party. With the OP's party, it's an added difficulty jump on top of that, plain and simple. He will probably either become so frustrated he gives up, or something has to give, whether it's tweaking his party composition or adjusting one or another difficulty option.

Could he eventually come back as a PoTD veteran and beat the game with that party on triple-crown? Possibly. There are probably some veteran players who have worked up to a challenge like that.

Edited by Nobear

Come on, hes got more than one character or even a full party, wheres the challenge?

lol that's why I said a PoTD veteran could probably pull it off, but remember this game does have a learning curve and everyone started as a baby.

Come on, hes got more than one character or even a full party, wheres the challenge?

lol that's why I said a PoTD veteran could probably pull it off, but remember this game does have a learning curve and everyone started as a baby.

Won't argue with the part, that you have to learn first.

But you don't need to be a veteran to beat the game with any full party.