Education policy

Spectre1

Do you think athleticism and intelligence are mutually exclusive?

Here is an idea for a story.

The U.S. Government conducts an experiment. Create well rounded citizens.

It builds a town with a High School in a rural area.

This High School requires every student to participate in a sport including the intellectual ones.

This High School has a physical education program that helps the weakest of students gain muscle and lose excess weight.

Many students are medicated. This school would also be an experiment to see if these students would succeed if they were put in an extracurricular activity instead of being medicated.

This High School requires every student to participate in a sport including the intellectual ones.

This High School has a physical education program that helps the weakest of students gain muscle and lose excess weight.

Many students are medicated. This school would also be an experiment to see if these students would succeed if they were put in an extracurricular activity instead of being medicated.

And in this High School there are cheerleaders right ?

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

no

Put fascists and sociopaths on your ignore list.

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Every High School in America already does the first two of those.  Whether the students and parents buy in is an entirely different issue.

As I recall, they are to a minor degree. (VERY minor)

A shame I no longer live with this roommate, but once roomed with a Psychology major. She was pretty uptight and criticized how me and the other roommate played games like Counter Strike a lot at the time. She mentioned that studies were done and found that the brain does react to situations that are adrenaline-pumping, basically to the harm of one's intellect. It's nothing major mind you, but basically the idea was that if you yourself find yourself constantly in adrenaline-pumping situations that require a lot of fast action and quick reactions from you, it encourages chemicals in the brain that are to the detriment of the IQ. Basically, the brain adapts to how you live and will stress reflexes and reactions rather than cognitive thoughts if you constantly find yourself in such situations.

Granted as said, they're not at all mutually exclusive. Merely highlight that cause I find it interesting and wanted to stress that yes, someone fully focused on intellectual pursuits will be more geared towards a higher IQ than someone who does both. Again, wish I still had contact with her so I could deliver a more detailed explanation.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

The various U.S. service academies: West Point, Annapolis, Colorado Springs, etc., are all academically rigorous, competitive, and places a not so insignificant emphasis on athletics and martial skill.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

A shame I no longer live with this roommate, but once roomed with a Psychology major. She was pretty uptight and criticized how me and the other roommate played games like Counter Strike a lot at the time. She mentioned that studies were done and found that the brain does react to situations that are adrenaline-pumping, basically to the harm of one's intellect. It's nothing major mind you, but basically the idea was that if you yourself find yourself constantly in adrenaline-pumping situations that require a lot of fast action and quick reactions from you, it encourages chemicals in the brain that are to the detriment of the IQ. 

Sounds fishy. Everything I've read on the matter indicates that taking good care of your body and maintaining a reasonable level of athleticism actually improves your mental faculties.

Of course, "playing Counter-Strike a lot" hardly counts as "maintaining a reasonable level of athleticism", but that has little bearing on the original question.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Most of the atheletes I went to school with (the star player types) were also in the advanced academic courses and were straight a students. I never got the dumb jock stereotype because in my school, the jocks were some of the smartest people we had.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

A shame I no longer live with this roommate, but once roomed with a Psychology major. She was pretty uptight and criticized how me and the other roommate played games like Counter Strike a lot at the time. She mentioned that studies were done and found that the brain does react to situations that are adrenaline-pumping, basically to the harm of one's intellect. It's nothing major mind you, but basically the idea was that if you yourself find yourself constantly in adrenaline-pumping situations that require a lot of fast action and quick reactions from you, it encourages chemicals in the brain that are to the detriment of the IQ. 

Sounds fishy. Everything I've read on the matter indicates that taking good care of your body and maintaining a reasonable level of athleticism actually improves your mental faculties.

Of course, "playing Counter-Strike a lot" hardly counts as "maintaining a reasonable level of athleticism", but that has little bearing on the original question.

It does sound fishy. I'd like to see those studies as well. I've read that chronic high levels of cortisol can have negative general health effects, and among them, be a cause of neurological disorders. Cortisol and adrenaline are both secreted at different stages of exercise, rule of thumb being cortisol levels increase as adrenaline decreases, and extreme endurance athletes are known to be exposed to higher levels of cortisol than other people. Drawing conclusions from that and linking it to the adrenaline rush people may get from playing games sounds like bunk to me, though.

On the other hand,

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091202101751.htm

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/sport-science-institute/athletic-intelligence

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

And in this High School there are cheerleaders right ?

Every female gets a cheerleading uniform even if they don't want to cheer. They would not be forced to cheer.

Sounds fishy.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. She's not a dishonest person, but she was an incredibly bias person.

That's why I stressed the "very minor" part and why I put all cards on the table about where that info came from and how unclear I am on details. I got the sense that she probably encountered a true study and link, but probably put far more value in it than it deserved. AKA I can imagine the study saying "a person who participates in high-stress activities on a regular basis might lose an IQ point" and then she'd treat it as though we're losing 5-10.

Also just for clarity? Staying physically healthy is mentally healthy, yes. Again, what she stressed was that adrenaline-pumping activities with a lot of sudden reactions and reflexes neccesary can effect the brain. AKA, jogging and working out at the gym is fine, but Football (American or international) or fast-paced gaming is a no-go.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Do I think athleticism and intelligence are mutually exclusive?

No

Do I think athleticism and knowledge are mutually exclusive?

Yes, unless you want to be only decent at both.

To be an athlete you need to spend hours upon hours on training, various nutrition regimes, including times of meals etc. and if you want to be a top researcher you will spend hours upon hours on studies, and experiments.

In that perspective, yes these two are exclusive, but only because you have limited time. If there were no time limitations you could be very good at both.

• Like 2

A shame I no longer live with this roommate, but once roomed with a Psychology major. She was pretty uptight and criticized how me and the other roommate played games like Counter Strike a lot at the time. She mentioned that studies were done and found that the brain does react to situations that are adrenaline-pumping, basically to the harm of one's intellect. It's nothing major mind you, but basically the idea was that if you yourself find yourself constantly in adrenaline-pumping situations that require a lot of fast action and quick reactions from you, it encourages chemicals in the brain that are to the detriment of the IQ. Basically, the brain adapts to how you live and will stress reflexes and reactions rather than cognitive thoughts if you constantly find yourself in such situations.

Granted as said, they're not at all mutually exclusive. Merely highlight that cause I find it interesting and wanted to stress that yes, someone fully focused on intellectual pursuits will be more geared towards a higher IQ than someone who does both. Again, wish I still had contact with her so I could deliver a more detailed explanation.

Was she a cheerleader? If not do you think she would be a great cheerleader?

There is a wealth of evidence that physical activity enhances cognitive ability. Increased oxygen delivery to the brain, enhanced removal of cellular waste, reduced stress, greater hormone regulation, improved metabolism, etc. These are only the primary physiological effects. It is worth noting that these things are not so much enhancements of cognitive ability, as they are supportive of maximizing inherent capability.

That being said, the above hypothetical premise is still laughable.