Update 2.0 Beta is Live

It's possible for Wizards in stealth to cast AOE spells like Chill Fog without being targeted by enemies, in a similar manner to off-screen Cloud Kill in BG. Is this an intended feature?

We do not want the ability to consistently attack enemies while in stealth. This just seems to be one of the few instances that didn't get caught by our "what should leave you in stealth and what shouldn't" rules.

Twitter: @robyatadero

It's possible for Wizards in stealth to cast AOE spells like Chill Fog without being targeted by enemies, in a similar manner to off-screen Cloud Kill in BG. Is this an intended feature?

We do not want the ability to consistently attack enemies while in stealth. This just seems to be one of the few instances that didn't get caught by our "what should leave you in stealth and what shouldn't" rules.

Understood, it did seem odd that off-screen spell "abuse" would be allowed. I can try to list any other spells/effects that result in similar outcomes if I run across them.

Edited by View619

Very interesting interview with Josh about the expansion at Gamescon : link

While Josh talks, you can see a lot of the beautiful new environments, some new spell effects, some new scripted interactions with awesome art, some new enemies, and a bunch of multi-class talents at level-up (with a great level-up screen that I believe is also in patch 2.0)

And confirmation of release on August 25. I'd bet it all on Update 100 spilling those beans, but, I guess, whatever, Gamescom. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Thanks Obsidian.

But...

This patch is bringing back the mouse lag

Everything is fine, except for mouse lag in the inventory (and other screens), as I had in a really early beta ... 

Is anyone else seeing this problem? I would like to see how widespread it is.

Thank you Brandon.... No one else have this problem?

I think my pc is too slow to play this ... Can't afford a new machine though... :/

Edited by Cluas

UFWDJRj.jpg

Loving the beta, if only for the AI (I get caught up watching the action and only notice halfway through that someone has been standing 'watching the action' as well and hasn't contributed at all). That being said, I can't seem to figure out how to properly enable it. I have set all my characters to 'aggressive' in auto-attack, and a variety of different class-behaviours, but only my rogue will actively seek out enemies. The other 5 characters all sit there passively after they've killed their designated target.

Is there a button or a switch that I have clicked for my rogue but no one else? Or am I missing something else? (Am I the only one with this issue?).

Is there a button or a switch that I have clicked for my rogue but no one else? Or am I missing something else? (Am I the only one with this issue?

Every character now has new switch that must be turned on.

Select character and you'll see it.

Sorry for my bad english.

Is there a button or a switch that I have clicked for my rogue but no one else? Or am I missing something else? (Am I the only one with this issue?

Every character now has new switch that must be turned on.

Select character and you'll see it.

I was looking everywhere in the character menu and I missed the big obvious button that said "toggle AI". Thanks!

Haven't had the chance to play much and won't be able to do so in the upcoming few days but I would like to point out that the bigger and blurred texts bug is really annoying. I already posted about it in another topic but just in case I wanted to state it here also. I would also like to point out that the changes to perception affecting accuracy instead of deflection is very much appreciated, it makes so much more sense. Thank you.

Wary Defender was nerfed pretty hefty too. Its now +5 to all Defenses except for Deflection.

Oh good, now there are even fewer reasons to play a full tank fighter. :/

because fighters and paladins needed moar pigeonholing amirite

Sigh. This is a change I hope they revert before the patch goes live... it also hurts offtanks, makes fighters more susceptible to CC and kills build diversity ( seriously, unless a fighter off-tank whips out a shield he's going to be more or less as durable as a barbarian with Defender up now... ). Also, while talented defender used to be pretty good pre 2.0, it also involved a pretty hefty investment in term of resources ( class ability + talent ).

I'd rather they nerfed shields instead, if they feel deflection tanks were too good ( and maybe reduce the accuracy penalty to compensate somewhat ). 

Edited by Njall

Wary Defender was nerfed pretty hefty too. Its now +5 to all Defenses except for Deflection.

Sigh. This is a change I hope they revert before the patch goes live... it also hurts offtanks, makes fighters more susceptible to CC and kills build diversity ( seriously, unless a fighter off-tank whips out a shield he's going to be more or less as durable as a barbarian with Defender up now... ). Also, while talented defender used to be pretty good pre 2.0, it also involved a pretty hefty investment in term of resources ( class ability + talent ).

I'd rather they nerfed shields instead, if they feel deflection tanks were too good ( and maybe reduce the accuracy penalty to compensate somewhat ). 

They already changed Perception from +deflection to +accuracy. This means minus 8+ deflection for most tank-builds and better accuracy for some enemies.

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

Thanks Obsidian.

But...

Everything is fine, except for mouse lag in the inventory (and other screens), as I had in a really early beta ... 

I think my pc is too slow to play this ... Can't afford a new machine though... :/

How does the "mouse lag" manifest itself? I'm playing PoE on an old WinXP machine (yes, I know). What's your machine's specs?

• Like 1

They already changed Perception from +deflection to +accuracy. This means minus 8+ deflection for most tank-builds and better accuracy for some enemies.

Which of course highlights how stupid the Wary Defender change is.

IMO, fighters were already better as offtanks, due to their regeneration and the percent bonuses to damage doing more for large weapons. This just pushes them even more towards that niche.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Let chanters do anything at all before the fight ends. Remove Chill Fog. Nerf casters overall. Remove Chill Fog.  Lower damage output across the board. Remove Chill Fog

I'd say Slicken is a far worse offender thatn Chill Fog. It's really hard to beat an almost endlessly spammable AoE CC that targets reflex.

Let chanters do anything at all before the fight ends. Remove Chill Fog. Nerf casters overall. Remove Chill Fog.  Lower damage output across the board. Remove Chill Fog

I'd say Slicken is a far worse offender thatn Chill Fog. It's really hard to beat an almost endlessly spammable AoE CC that targets reflex.

knockdown vs blind (huge def debuff and acc) AND slowed AND -20 reflex. First level spell. Very large AoE, long duration (have to wait for it to leave after battle is over before my party moves in)

Edited by Benedictous

Thanks Obsidian.

But...

How does the "mouse lag" manifest itself? I'm playing PoE on an old WinXP machine (yes, I know). What's your machine's specs?

When ever i open a gui window.... It also happened in early beta....  I am on win7 with AMD radeon 6350 

UFWDJRj.jpg

Well, the defender/wary defender nerf is another net -20 deflection right off the bat ( now defender reduces your deflection, so i's +15 to -5 ). Harsh, probably unnecessary and frankly, IMO, the kind of nerf that, to me,  feels out of place in a single player game ( I'm all for balance, but I'd rather see the devs focus on bringing the subpar options up to par rather than knee-jerk and double-nerf stuff to the ground ). YMMV, obviously.

Edited by Njall
  • Like 2

Well, the defender/wary defender nerf is another net -20 deflection right off the bat ( now defender reduces your deflection, so i's +15 to -5 ). Harsh, probably unnecessary and frankly, IMO, the kind of nerf that, to me, feels out of place in a single player game ( I'm all for balance, but I'd rather see the devs focus on bringing the subpar options up to par rather than knee-jerk and double-nerf stuff to the ground ). YMMV, obviously.

Can we get an official response on if this nerf will be in the final patch? As you can see its an unnecessary nerf that we don't want.

Quick question also. Does Guardian Stance give +10 deflection to the user + allies or just allies?

Edited by Gary1986

Nerf to wary defender looks a bit too soon. With expansion update maybe its better to just add stuff, and see how it works out, and then nerf whoever is on top.

I would never guess that fighters are so good, it always looks that casters are game changers. Knock Down is cute, but Slicken is a bit better.

With enought nerfs to fighter, there will be just more reason to tank with Caster.

From the other side, there is enought bragging about solo abilities Fighters have. Also Defender + Wary Defender is still better than Hold the Line + Cautions Attacks.

I would never guess that fighters are so good, it always looks that casters are game changers. Knock Down is cute, but Slicken is a bit better.

With enought nerfs to fighter, there will be just more reason to tank with Caster.

butbutbut casters only have the ability to do everything paced out over the course of several encounters or all in one fight at their option! fighters get anywhere between 1 and 3 PER ENCOUNTER ABILITIES! THEYRE OVERPOWERED I TELL YOU

In all seriousness, it makes me genuinely sad that PoE started with, "casters won't be able to do everything! Everyone gets magical abilities! Melee can have nice things!" and then turned into, "casters can do everything! Everyone else gets like one magical ability, late in their leveling tree! Melee has slightly higher stats though I mean until the caster self-buffs then melee is like kaput." They recognized the problem, and promised to fix it, and proceeded to do Not That.

From the other side, there is enought bragging about solo abilities Fighters have. Also Defender + Wary Defender is still better than Hold the Line + Cautions Attacks.

They're the easiest class to solo with for sure, but easiest =/= best.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Well, yeah, but you're comparing a class ability + a class talent to two talents: class specific talents/abilities are supposed to reinforce the schtick of a class and generally cost the same or less for a better/comparable result, respectively;  if the class ability were worse than a comparable talent, it would have no reason to exist in the first place, why would anyone bother taking it? 

The fighter's eating enough nerfs as is in this X-pack, as I see it: pretty much all the physical DPS classes are going to see a (slight) damage reduction against some opponents ( due to the fact that immunities to specific kinds of damage are being introduced, and most physical dps classes lack the toolkit of full casters, who can just change their spell selection, while, say, a fighter or a rogue has to switch to a backup weapon ); if what I read in this thread is true, they're losing a fair bit of control due to, again, immunities to status effects (which, again, casters can overcome pretty easily ), and they'll see their only real strong point, their survability, take a hit now that constant recovery will be available to other tanks through multiclass talents.

I don't see the reason to also neuter their defenses on top of that, frankly. 

butbutbut casters only have the ability to do everything paced out over the course of several encounters or all in one fight at their option! fighters get anywhere between 1 and 3 PER ENCOUNTER ABILITIES! THEYRE OVERPOWERED I TELL YOU

In all seriousness, it makes me genuinely sad that PoE started with, "casters won't be able to do everything! Everyone gets magical abilities! Melee can have nice things!" and then turned into, "casters can do everything! Everyone else gets like one magical ability, late in their leveling tree! Melee has slightly higher stats though I mean until the caster self-buffs then melee is like kaput." They recognized the problem, and promised to fix it, and proceeded to do Not That.

Well, if casters get 3rd level spells per-encounter at 13th level, the melee will probably need something really big to keep up at high levels anyway... we'll see.