Pillars of Eternity: Respect, Appreciation and Gratitude.

Hey I usually come on here to complain and explain about bugs and the like (which I don't feel is wrong, its necessary) and that I want multi-player, which I still do lol.

But I feel when we really like something we just like it and don't actually say anything feeling that they know we obviously appreciate them and their creation.

So all you ever see is negative feedback and complaints.

Just came on to say good job guys, you're amazing, its a truly wonderful game and achievement and its surely going to echo through-out history as one of the big name legendary games, it already is.

I don't even think people understand how fast this game is, there seems to be so much multiple dialogue for just each individual person, to what you ask and say to them, to how they react to you based on your reputation, to your stats and ability checks, the amount of attention to detail is astonishing and all that work is extremely noticable in the details.

Infact its no surprise some obvious bugs slipped by you guys as you were so focused on the immense amount of content you were putting into this game.

Well done, love ya guys and you've my gratitude and supreme respect =D

PS: Seriously though add multiplayer and it'll be even more legendary =D

• Like 3

I like this post except for the multiplayer thing. I say please focus on more great single-player content instead, and smoothing out the remaining bugs and rough edges. Most players of PoE seem to agree with this, at least of the ones that take polls on these forums.

• Like 1

Well think about the mechanics of multiplayer BG1/2  its not difficult to add, just a custom companions that can be controlled over the internet by friends to co-op in your story.

I found a lot of selfish people saying that about the multiplayer aswell, basically saying don't add multi-player for all the people that wanted it simply because they didn't like it and had some kinda single player elitism.

Its OPTIONAL, if you don't want to play it thats fine, but why be a nay-sayer to those that want to co-op with friends? its not taking away from your experience, I don't want an MMO just co-op story.

Edited by alexis13

You're awesome, guys (not really, just decent ones) but, please, do not add multiplayer. Well, just kidding, do whatever you want (except PoE MMO) :)

See, you're another one, I didn't say an MMO just multi-player co-op and you got that.

So why don't you want it? I don't understand, its optional to you.

Is it just to make other people unhappy or something because you'll enjoy it more if others can't play with friends because you can't or something?

You're awesome, guys (not really, just decent ones) but, please, do not add multiplayer. Well, just kidding, do whatever you want (except PoE MMO) :)

See, you're another one, I didn't say an MMO just multi-player co-op and you got that.

So why don't you want it? I don't understand, its optional to you.

Is it just to make other people unhappy or something because you'll enjoy it more if others can't play with friends because you can't or something?

I have nothing against you in particular and have no intent to make somebody unhappy. But, well, it's a single-player game. I've seen the one and only successfull attempt to do a coop in RPG, and I mean not action rpg like Diablo-clone but a real one. It's called D:OS. And it has been really designed around that coop thing. See, when you're playing with your friend, you both should participate in quests and... make decisions. And you're usually have no in-game means to enforce that /cooperation/. You can select one player as a party leader who is responsible for all the stuff and make all the discussions and decision-making a meta-game process. Then all other people are just glorified bots from in-game point of view. And if you're building the game design around really live coop then soloing such a game would be half the fun. It's fine for me, it's just other kind of game, the real and live coop rpg, like D:OS: it's just for playing with friends. Then, there is an other option. Do not change game design and just add multiplayer with your-friends-as-glorified-bots. It should be fine for me too as long as you and your friends have fun, right? But it actually is not. Developers are not gods, they're mere mortals and they have constrained resources. I'm a programmer myself and I imagine in the painful details what it means to implement a good, stable multiplayer. And while developers are (hypothetically) working on cool multiplayer stuff for you and your friends, they're not working on cool single-player stuff for me and my friends. Sorry, I'm selfish here: I've been waiting for a decent single-player RPG more than ten years and now there is a company that finally has a vision and resources to implement it.

Edited by sku

Well think about the mechanics of multiplayer BG1/2  its not difficult to add, just a custom companions that can be controlled over the internet by friends to co-op in your story.

I found a lot of selfish people saying that about the multiplayer aswell, basically saying don't add multi-player for all the people that wanted it simply because they didn't like it and had some kinda single player elitism.

Its OPTIONAL, if you don't want to play it thats fine, but why be a nay-sayer to those that want to co-op with friends? its not taking away from your experience, I don't want an MMO just co-op story.

I'm not being selfish, I'm taking into account the majority opinion about multiplayer on these forums, which happens to be in line with my own.

You're also clearly not a developer if you think adding any kind of multiplayer at all would be easy: even a badly-done multiplayer, let alone a decent one. Just like you can't speak with authority on PoTD strategy if you've only played Hard, there's no way you could possibly appreciate the difficulty of developing something as major as multiplayer without being a developer yourself. This does not just apply to you, but to anybody in your position. I myself have little more than a layman's appreciation of the difficulty in software development, but the little programming experience I have, combined with conversations with a good friend of mine who's a successful developer himself, suggest to me that the time and resources necessary would be far greater than you are assuming they'd be.

If software development were fast and easy, everyone would do it (except maybe a few rebellious souls), because it does pay well. If you understand everything that goes into coordinating data in packets to be sent and received for any internet or LAN application, making sure all the appropriate pieces of information are synchronized all the time for all parties, programming new interfaces and/or modifying current ones, not to mention balance changes to make a game designed for single player balanced instead (or in addition) for multiplayer, and issues I am probably not even aware of, then you are qualified to make a ballpark estimate of how long such a feature might take to implement, and how expensive it would be. You apparently have some gaming cred, but it is painfully obvious that you have no development cred, and are not qualified to say what should be easy or hard to develop.

The devs have already said no, which suggests to me that they would consider it too time consuming or expensive. Therefore, it would actually take away from the single player experience, by diverting resources away from it. In the real world, in a company with limited resources, there simply aren't enough for everything, so yes it would take away from my experience, and the kinds of single-player experiences that most people on these forums tend to state a preference for.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why it's difficult for you to understand that adding multiplayer is not easy. You see this all the time in software development where end users think they understand the process and start asking for everything that enters their head because they don't understand the level of work involved to make it happen.

Also, any time spent on implementing multi-player would have two potential drawbacks:

1. Taking resources away from adding content/correcting issues to the main game. This means a weaker game overall, even with multiplayer added.
  2. Modifying the core game to facilitate multi-player without making it seem tacked on.

Adding multi-player is not easy and will detract from the core game no matter how you want to view it. And at the end of the day, it's a very minor part of the overall game that wouldn't even bring in enough players to make it worthwhile. This has nothing to do with players being selfish or single player elitism, it's about efficiency and not wanting to see the core game, the majority's game-play experience, suffer. If you want a multiplayer-focused RPG then buy Divinity:Original Sin.

Otherwise, I agree with this thread. Great job Obsidian, keep up the good work!

Edited by View619

Guys, if this is going to become nothing more than a multi-player option debate, I'm going to wrap it up into a previous thread. On the other hand, if the MP aspect is only part of the overall discussion, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the original poster and leave it as is. :Cant's bemused grin icon: I do, in fact, like giving the benefit of the doubt to the members.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Guys, if this is going to become nothing more than a multi-player option debate, I'm going to wrap it up into a previous thread. On the other hand, if the MP aspect is only part of the overall discussion, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the original poster and leave it as is. :Cant's bemused grin icon: I do, in fact, like giving the benefit of the doubt to the members.

In the end is there really any benefit to doubt? I doubt it... 8)

Thumbs up to the devs for an awesome SP - PC only game that just keeps getting better.  :thumbsup:

Thumbs down to MP no doubt about it!  :down:

:-

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...