Pillars of Eternity Multiplayer in the works?

Personally not such a fan of most versions of MP-games, as I don't really like PVP. An optional coop could be nice though. 

But I would be pretty indifferent about the whole MP thing: I haven't touched the MP-option of DA:I either. And I see that a lot of focus and resources are pumped into the MP, instead of the SP... I get that people like MP, but I would personally rather have primary focus on SP (DA:I shows a LOT of shortcuts due to limited resources in SP).  

I'm not really sure that the major deficiencies in DA:I are because of multiplayer.  It might be more the focus on quantity rather than quality.  Multiplayer was just symptomatic of the fact that they tried to have every feature that any competitor game had.

I am not saying that MP leads to deficiencies. But having both SP and MP means that you will need to spread out your resources even more. One would need to have a huge amount of resources (both money, time and people) to prevent a 'jack of all trades, master of none' with mediocre results along the line. Hence, my preference to focus on just one area, instead of trying to please all possible audiences and in the end disappointing most of them. 

Just because of interest: What is the difference between CoOp and MP? Is it that you can fight against other players in MP? Would that make such a difference for the developers?

No real difference: cooperative gameplay is a subset of multiplayer. Multiplayer is any game mode played by several people at once. Another subset is competitive multiplayer. Games often mix these two, see any team-based PvP titles.

However, co-op is often understood specifically as campaign mode played together. I don't know what multiplayer means to the author, it could be anything from a separate game mode to PvP to a shorthand for MMO. I'll let him explain.

Edited by Rosveen

Just because of interest: What is the difference between CoOp and MP? Is it that you can fight against other players in MP? Would that make such a difference for the developers?

The difference is people who say that have no clue and people who don't say stuff like that might know what they're talking about.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It seems pointless to have multiplayer in a story driven game with a "chosen one"/"exceptional one" main character. Multiplayer would only make sense to me in a game where the plot is similar to Storm of Zehir, when the protagonists are just a regular adventuring band.

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE"... "Along with about 500.000 others"

- SW:TOR

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

• 2 weeks later...

I for one, am glad that this is a traditional single player rpg.  I have missed this style of game for years and was thrilled when the kickstarter was so succesful.  Single player games are what I and many others came up on and in my experience, when devs start spending their money on mp other areas of the game take a dive.  I think there is a place for mp in many games, but not in a IE style traditional rpg game. 

• Like 3